Planning a trip to Australia

Associate
Just got back from Australia highlights for me was the great barrier reef from Port Douglas, whale watching off brisbane and Sydney is fantastic.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;27171444 said:
This website might be useful to give you some ideas and it's relatively customisable, e.g. length of stay, type of interest, north/south island etc.

Thanks for this. I'm coming to New Zealand in December and this looks useful.

(Interestingly I'm doing the opposite, NZ for 2 weeks then Sydney for New Year).

Associate
OP
Thanks all.

We've decided to fly into Auckland (considerably cheaper than Queenstown which is a bonus) and spend a week exploring the north island. Not exactly sure on our itinerary for that just yet, hopefully we can get to Hastings, Hawkes Bay though at some point as that's where my auntie and cousin live.

Were then fly into Queenstown a couple of days before were due to meet up with our lecturers and explore around there, then enjoy the 10 days exploring and doing fieldwork in the south island.

Then finally go back to Queenstown to fly back to Auckland to fly back to London.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions for things to do or see in the north island, that would be much appreciated.

Soldato
I'm actually in Auckland at the moment, living here til April (that's the plan so far), so I can tell you a few things to do.

First thing I'd do in Auckland is not bother with the city.. Its nice, but its a city. Luckily from the harbour (edge of the city centre) you can get to wahieke island, its a half an hour ferry from the city, (and my missus works on the ferry, so say hi to fiona). Its a beautiful island with vineyards and beavhs and tiby 'settlements.. Just how i expected rural new Zealand to be like. If you can spend a night there, feel free. Though you can have a lovely day out.

Anyway, another place to see is piha beach, its a black sand beach near Auckland.. Something rare to see..

Also on that coast is the glow worm caves if that is your sort of thing.

Other places that sound interesting are Taupo and Rotorua, wangarei in the north is also a good place to go.

While in Auckland (another thing to do) you can look at rangatoto. Another ferry trip, but its a baby volcano with black sand/rock/surface. You can go for a good 2 hour hike.. Apparently its amazing.

If you have any questions about Auckland, ask away.. I'll check back often.

Associate
hm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought I might get responses to stay in New Zealand and it was our first train of thought to do just that. I don't think we'd like to just stay in Sydney for a week, and with limited time and money I don't want to waste both travelling the long distances to get anywhere else.

You could see Sydney, Kiama & Blue Mountains properly in a week.

Back
Top Bottom