• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Planning to delid my 7700k - Some clarification needed

Associate
Nothing wrong with the 212 evo as a cooler? Also don't exactly have the space for a Noctua if that's what you're suggesting.

It's also just common knowledge that 7700k's run hot and always have. Even Noctua/water coolers have the same results.

No, nothing wrong with that cooler at all. I think you'll squeeze out some more performance and better temperatures if you go ahead. But you will hit a wall far sooner than with a bigger cooler. But you are right about the big coolers, they are massive and you need a full tower for one.

Associate
OP
No, nothing wrong with that cooler at all. I think you'll squeeze out some more performance and better temperatures if you go ahead. But you will hit a wall far sooner than with a bigger cooler. But you are right about the big coolers, they are massive and you need a full tower for one.

I didn't think so.

I only have a Corsair Carbide 100r, so I'm working with limited room, so to speak. Any suggestions on a new tower?

Soldato
To be fair i don't think its worth spending money on a case and cooler for an older quad core cpu just to get a little more from it that might be unnoticeable. Of course the case and cooler should work fine for an upgrade in the future so theres that.

Associate
OP
What kind of size and budget?
Mid or full. Let’s say budget of £200, but flexible regardless. So suggestions above are fine

I was looking at Fractal cases? Specifically the Fractal Design Meshify or such.

To be fair i don't think its worth spending money on a case and cooler for an older quad core cpu just to get a little more from it that might be unnoticeable. Of course the case and cooler should work fine for an upgrade in the future so theres that.
I see it as future proofing too. I went ahead and got myself a Scythe Fuma 2 which I know will be reusable for ages to come.

Edit: I'm also just under the impression that since I'll have to basically remove everything from the case to fit the new cooler bracket (there's barely enough of an opening on the rear of where the motherboard is mounted, so it has to come out) that I'd be as well just transferring things into a new case if the case offered better airflow and thermals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom