Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Well it's Monday and from when I woke up I know my foot wasn't better :(
I did some cycling to do something with my legs,
Give it a bit longer I suppose

Sorry about that, go cycling/swimming and otherwise keep off your foot, so no excessive walking. You should find an elliptical machine also works OK without any impact stress.

I contrast, I got out yesterday for a 5.2 mile run without absolute no issues with my foot:) . Was weird running when i haven't taken a step since the marathon. Legs felt weird with all the typical post Marathon pains/fatigue because I haven't had the opportunity to work my legs out. Was fairly ascared runnign gently down some of the hills but no ssues what so ever, so relieved and glad it was mroe of a bruised bone.

Did 64 laps swimming this morning and might do another short run this afternoon waiting for my car repair.

Associate
I've been a total failure since my 1/2 which was 1 month ago now. Was averaging about 30 miles a week and the last 4 weeks are now 6 miles and last week was none :( I really need to get my butt in gear and back out with a goal in mind. Time to start checking out local races I feel.

Last time I went out was a 10km run which I ran progressive and was pushing a pretty healthy pace so don't think I've undone much speed wise but undoubtedly I've lost some endurance. Thankfully I've not fallen off the eating wagon as my weight has remained perfectly stable.

Caporegime
I've been a total failure since my 1/2 which was 1 month ago now. Was averaging about 30 miles a week and the last 4 weeks are now 6 miles and last week was none :( I really need to get my butt in gear and back out with a goal in mind. Time to start checking out local races I feel.

Last time I went out was a 10km run which I ran progressive and was pushing a pretty healthy pace so don't think I've undone much speed wise but undoubtedly I've lost some endurance. Thankfully I've not fallen off the eating wagon as my weight has remained perfectly stable.

I wouldn't worry too much, but it definitely helps to set a goal. Fitness is easier to regain lost fitness than get fitter into new territory. Psychology is a big part of training, if you aren't in it mentally then you don't progress. Therefore, taking a big break to unwind and then getting back into it later a can be more benefiting than trudging on when you are mentally bot giving it 100%.

As for me, after sundays little run I wanted to get out for a good run, feeling fat and useless after 2 weeks no running and eating stypudly for 2 weeks with my parents in town and then thanks giving. I haven't been eating this unhealthily in a year:eek: of course it was pouring with rain so went to the gym and did 8miled progressive run from 9:30 to 6:30 a mile. The last 5 miles I quickly upped speed to 5:30 a mile, felt fantastic but with 2 minutes to go I felt my left foot:eek:, immediately stopped runni g and walked for 5. Foot felt fine walking and has.done all day.

Silly mistake jumping straight into a hard fast run, I just got carried away with the speed, it's such a high to run fast. Luckily I got away with it this time. Tomorrow will be back in the pool to be safe.

Caporegime
You should be aiming for s cadence of 180 steps a minute regardless of your pace. To run slower or faster you need to increase or decrease stride length.

To pace yourself just use a running app amd get your 1 mile split times. It just comes down to practice and training so you are used to specific paces

Caporegime
Did my first good outdoor run since the marathon, 8.8 miles in 1:09:07 @ 7:51/mile.
Foot felt fine, legs felt slow a, heavy and stiff but it was a very fast pace in the end.
I need to pay attention not to go too fast.

Speaking of cadence, I averaged exactly 180 for this run:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/973392155

Cadence is measured by a Garmin Footpod connected to my Garmin 610 watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd like to start running again, I tend to get aching shins after say 10 minutes, is that just down to lack of running? Hopefully it's something which will wear off over time. Always enjoyed running before work, haven't ran for a good 2 years though. :(

Associate
I had a lot of shin pains in my earlier days, it "could" indicate landing too much on your heel.

I use to get it from time to time, I spent a few weeks concentrating on form and aiming for a more for/mid foot strike and it's not been back since.

I've got an elbow issue, I thought it was from running but given my lack recently and an increase in discomfort it's leading me to either muscular/nerve issue or RSI. Not running related I know, but it's starting to drag me down.

Anyway, back to the point....planning to put my 3 day weekends to good use and get out for some gentle long runs this weekend.

Caporegime
^^ wise plan.

I got a good run yesterday 12.7 miles in 1H:43M, 8:04/mi
Calves really hurt but my foot held up. My legs felt like I had run 20+ miles by the end .

Caporegime
This mornings run was in beautiful sun: 9.6mi 1:18:44 8:11/mi
I felt my left foot a little in the middle but it seemed to fade.

Ran a new route which is always fun.

Caporegime
damn you're getting some good miles in day on day.
Well done.
My foot's feeling better by the day, still airing on caution, might hit the treadmill on friday.

I'm trying to get my base backup to pre-marathon fitness. Since I still feel my foot I am running 1 day, taking 1 day off (but swimming an cycling).
Next week I hope to start a Marathon schedule for Pittsburgh May 1st.

Currently re-reading Daniels' running formula to get new ideas.

Caporegime
11.0mi 1:32:09 8:18/mi, similar run to yesterday. I thought I was running a little faster and easier but I slowed down at the end.

Caporegime
Fantastic. Keep the runs slow and easy for a while, be very careful of any downhill running. If you want to add some intensity then a treadmill set to a high incline is a very safe way to go, like hill training but no downhills. Being on an incline you can get your heart rate up while still have a small foot impact.

Soldato
managed to get my best park-run time this morning since March 2014 :) - getting back there with 20'08 - only another minute to find

I've upped my miles to >30 a week now - including 1 club efforts session, 1 club threshold and try and get one race in at weekend (either park-run or XC)

adding all the shorter 3-5 mile runs in between to add to the mileage seems to be really paying off - both in reducing my weight and getting fitness back

Man of Honour
managed to get my best park-run time this morning since March 2014 :) - getting back there with 20'08 - only another minute to find

Well done, it's good to be heading in the right direction again. Funnily enough I also had a good run today and got a PB today albeit only taking a second off the previous best, it does feel slightly the wrong time of year to be setting PBs as the weather tends to rule out rapid improvements but happy with that all the same especially as the previous couple of weeks have felt like I was struggling a bit.

Back
Top Bottom