Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Soldato
A glimmer of hope!

I ran in my old shoes, the worn out Adios Boost pictured earlier, and experienced no pain at all! It would seem whatever injury I have is only aggravated by direct pressure to it which these shoes don't do. I got a bit carried away at the joy of this and ran a sub-20 5K to celebrate.

Next, I'm going to test my race shoes having cut a hole in them right where the pressure point is.:D If that doesn't work it looks like I may be racing in some battered shoes with 450 miles clocked on them.:o

Soldato
I guess I'm a fair weather runner as I've just started running again :) as it's been so long I couldn't complete 5k yesterday without needing to walk but onwards and upwards, beats sitting down being lazy!

Soldato
A glimmer of hope!

I ran in my old shoes, the worn out Adios Boost pictured earlier, and experienced no pain at all! It would seem whatever injury I have is only aggravated by direct pressure to it which these shoes don't do. I got a bit carried away at the joy of this and ran a sub-20 5K to celebrate.

Next, I'm going to test my race shoes having cut a hole in them right where the pressure point is.:D If that doesn't work it looks like I may be racing in some battered shoes with 450 miles clocked on them.:o

Fingers crossed the "modified" new ones will workout well, If it works it works. If not then yeah why not run it in the old faithfuls regardless of the mileage them.

Soldato
I guess I'm a fair weather runner as I've just started running again :) as it's been so long I couldn't complete 5k yesterday without needing to walk but onwards and upwards, beats sitting down being lazy!

I started running (mostly walk then run then walk then run while trying not to die) just over a year ago, when it was raining/sleet/windy/cold....all the conditions I'd usually avoid being outside in, strangely while running I relish those conditions, even now if I find myself at a loose end on a day/time I'd not planned on running but it's raining I'll go out for a run in it.

Associate
Been reading this inspirational thread since the middle of January and as a sedentary 47-year-old who sits in front of a computer all day at work, I finally got off my backside last night and did something about it. Day 1 of Week 1 of 'Couch to 5K' completed - although I won't embarrass myself by revealing what pace I was 'running' at :redface:. I'm not going to lie - having no stamina whatsoever I was flagging a bit towards the end, but it felt great afterwards, almost euphoric ... hoping to get quite addicted to that feeling! Must be all that fresh air ...
Just realised - I've been going out running for a month, as of yesterday.

If I'm honest, my progress through the stages on the Couch to 5K app on my phone hasn't been as rapid as I'd have liked, but then again I was starting from virtually nothing in terms of any kind of base fitness. I'm still following the walk-run-walk-run pattern but it's definitely getting easier, to the point where I've tried to up my pace a bit, particularly towards the start of a run only to then crash and burn towards the end.

I've noticed the difference on the scales too - have lost about 5 lb in weight in the last month. Enjoying it way more than I thought I would - I think it's a combination of the fresh air and the isolation of being out on my own with just music for company, plus the rewarding feeling afterwards that I've done something for the betterment of my health.

Thank you to Platypus for starting the thread and to all of you for keeping it alive - the inspiration you have provided looks like sending me into my 50s in a couple of years time in way better shape than I dared hope :)

Soldato
I'm early 40s and in the best shape I've been in since my late 20s.
I've been running just over a year now plus doing bootcamp twice/three times a week for about 8 months.

Wish I'd started it all years back, onwards and upwards

Man of Honour
i started couch to 10k a few weeks back and was very happy with progress, till I woke up last night in agony. Now it might not be running, but not sure what else could have done it.
Sharp pain in the middle of the outside of the right foot. Any idea what the cause maybe and how to fix it. Lack of strength and need to do more exercises to strengthen it up? Shoes i'm wearing or something else? Quick google brings up PF injury but that seems more heel and arch side of foot.

2dmcg00.jpg

Man of Honour
Just realised - I've been going out running for a month, as of yesterday.

If I'm honest, my progress through the stages on the Couch to 5K app on my phone hasn't been as rapid as I'd have liked, but then again I was starting from virtually nothing in terms of any kind of base fitness. I'm still following the walk-run-walk-run pattern but it's definitely getting easier, to the point where I've tried to up my pace a bit, particularly towards the start of a run only to then crash and burn towards the end.

I've noticed the difference on the scales too - have lost about 5 lb in weight in the last month. Enjoying it way more than I thought I would - I think it's a combination of the fresh air and the isolation of being out on my own with just music for company, plus the rewarding feeling afterwards that I've done something for the betterment of my health.

Thank you to Platypus for starting the thread and to all of you for keeping it alive - the inspiration you have provided looks like sending me into my 50s in a couple of years time in way better shape than I dared hope :)

Well done, it might feel like slow progress at times but that's quite normal and it's good to avoid one of the typical mistakes of trying to do too much too soon and risk injuring yourself.

I'm early 40s and in the best shape I've been in since my late 20s.
I've been running just over a year now plus doing bootcamp twice/three times a week for about 8 months.

Wish I'd started it all years back, onwards and upwards

It's a good feeling and like you I weirdly quite enjoy running in the rain provided it's not a super long slog.

i started couch to 10k a few weeks back and was very happy with progress, till I woke up last night in agony. Now it might not be running, but not sure what else could have done it.
Sharp pain in the middle of the outside of the right foot. Any idea what the cause maybe and how to fix it. Lack of strength and need to do more exercises to strengthen it up? Shoes i'm wearing or something else? Quick google brings up PF injury but that seems more heel and arch side of foot.
I'm afraid I don't know what that problem is and can't really speculate becuase of the no medical threads rule. It's usually worth giving yourself a bit of a break from exercise if you think it is causing you a problem but do consider going to your doctor for a checkup. I don't know if you've ever gone for gait analysis and got trainers based on that but if not (and you'd like to continue running) then it's probably a good idea to go to a shop and get them to do some gait analysis - many shops will do it for free and it can make a big difference to how comfortable you are while running.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As semi-pro waster says, first thing to do is absolutely nothing, i.e. take a rest form runnign for a few days and then try again, going extra slow and purposely short. See how it feels the next day, if it feels good then ease back into things carefully. If it doesn't take 1 week off running and try again, if there is still pain then go see a doctor or sports physio. Shoes are also important.

Very important to run slowly, especially when you are just beginning. Most of your runnign should be at a conversational pace, so take a phone and call your best mate while out running.

Caporegime
I'm slowly getting back in to building a final cycle before my marathon (6.5 weeks to go.) 2 weeks ago I ran my good HM, at 1:22 but got some bad DOMS due to the steep hills so didn' run for the next few days by which point I was on vacation skiing. Did a couple of short 5 mile runs before getting a cold but not a biggy because I was pretty active, climbed 25000 feet on my skis, including a lot of time above 13K so I have had effective altitude training.

Just some easy pace runs since Saturday but today I did a Lactate Threshold workout: 4 easy at 8:30 a mile, then 5 miles at 6:20, then 5 mile cool down with reverse progression from 7:40 down to 8:50 pace to finish. Couldn't hit paces for the LT work due to the extreme wind. An easy day tomorrow (50minute swim + 6miles morning + 4-5miles evening), then hoepfulyl another 20 miler Friday.

Hoping it warms up a little, it was -7*C this morning with ferocious winds. Yesterday was an ice storm bring down trees and powerlines so i was stuck on a treadmill.

Man of Honour
As semi-pro waster says, first thing to do is absolutely nothing, i.e. take a rest form runnign for a few days and then try again, going extra slow and purposely short. See how it feels the next day, if it feels good then ease back into things carefully. If it doesn't take 1 week off running and try again, if there is still pain then go see a doctor or sports physio. Shoes are also important.
will do this and take a week off. in absolute agony today, can barely get around the house like an old granny. Frustrating as I was impressed how it was going albeit it nothing by most peoples standards have to start somewhere.
As for shoes i haven't gone and got gait done, cant afford it at the moment, but something I do want to do.

Associate
will do this and take a week off. in absolute agony today, can barely get around the house like an old granny. Frustrating as I was impressed how it was going albeit it nothing by most peoples standards have to start somewhere.
As for shoes i haven't gone and got gait done, cant afford it at the moment, but something I do want to do.

Most running shops i know of will only charge a nominal fee for the analysis of around £10 if you're not buying shoes to go with it.

Caporegime
If you poke & prod your foot does it hurt in an obvious way/place? Or does it hurt when standing /walking and generally adding eight to the foot? If th latter could be a microfracture.

Man of Honour
If you poke & prod your foot does it hurt in an obvious way/place? Or does it hurt when standing /walking and generally adding eight to the foot? If th latter could be a microfracture.

slightly tender just in front and below the ankle bone on the outside of the foot, other than that, its just abut bearable if I stay on very high tip toes. walking flt footed or heel first isn't pleasant shall we say. Shall have a google about micro factures. its not something I'll go and waste a doctors time for, unless it doesn't get better.

edit - although reading on google, maybe a visit is needed.

Back
Top Bottom