Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
If it is raining make sure to put lots of body glide and Vaseline on (douse your feet in Vaseline), tape up you nipples. A runnign cap helps stop the rain hitting your eyes so much. Otherwise rain itself is not an issue, and can help mitigate higher temperatures. Much rather have 10*C and heavy rain than 20*C. Wind is also a pain. Last year I ran a marathon in 7*C and heavy rain, all was well and I got a great time. Biggest issue was the head win on the home stretch and then a minute after finishing I started uncontrollably shivering and didn't stop for an hour. On the run is was very pleasant. Avoiding puddles early on is wise. When its raining, the less clothes the better. last thing you want o is heavy wet clothes sticking to you. Lots of bleeding nipples at the finish line when its raining!

Caporegime
I'd like rain tbh, I've trained in a lot of awful weather.
I actually enjoy running in bad conditions.

Thanks for the tips D.P

More tips:
Get a big bin/trash bag and cut a hole for your head. Now you have a disposable rain and windproof jacket while you are waiting, remove a few minutes before the race start.
Get an old pair of socks and cut open the toes, now you have a pair of disposable arm warmers, so can run your first miles with the benefits of a long sleeve shirt but can rip them off once you have warmed up.
If its raining, run with a cap or runnign visor. that will keep a lot of the rain off your face which makes it more pleasant and stops the rain going in your eyes.
Try to consume a gel pack every 45 minutes or so, regardless of how great you feel. If you wait until you feel tired or low on energy it is too late.

Evaluate your paces early. It really needs to be feeling somewhere between easy and moderate effort until about half way, then starting to get a little harder but not hard until somewhere around 18m. If it feels hard at miles 6-8 then you need to back-off immediately. Don't start to push hard too soon either, if you still feel great at mile 18 then for sure you can pick p the pace a little but bare in mind you still have a long way to go so you need to be a little conservative. Gradually increase the pace, e.g. drop 5secods per mile and see how that feels. Thigns get exponentially harder as you go on.

Soldato
If it is raining make sure to put lots of body glide and Vaseline on (douse your feet in Vaseline), tape up you nipples. A runnign cap helps stop the rain hitting your eyes so much. Otherwise rain itself is not an issue, and can help mitigate higher temperatures. Much rather have 10*C and heavy rain than 20*C. Wind is also a pain. Last year I ran a marathon in 7*C and heavy rain, all was well and I got a great time. Biggest issue was the head win on the home stretch and then a minute after finishing I started uncontrollably shivering and didn't stop for an hour. On the run is was very pleasant. Avoiding puddles early on is wise. When its raining, the less clothes the better. last thing you want o is heavy wet clothes sticking to you. Lots of bleeding nipples at the finish line when its raining!

The only thing to take from that is to tape your nipples, use a fixation tape as opposed to anything else.

Good luck!

Disclaimer... advice is only based on many many many marathons etc. NOT: one or two along races and a regular regurgitation other other people's opinions and things that I believe may happen, alongside performance claims resulting from a massively disproportionate training effort.

Soldato
More tips:
Get a big bin/trash bag and cut a hole for your head. Now you have a disposable rain and windproof jacket while you are waiting, remove a few minutes before the race start.
Get an old pair of socks and cut open the toes, now you have a pair of disposable arm warmers, so can run your first miles with the benefits of a long sleeve shirt but can rip them off once you have warmed up.
If its raining, run with a cap or runnign visor. that will keep a lot of the rain off your face which makes it more pleasant and stops the rain going in your eyes.
Try to consume a gel pack every 45 minutes or so, regardless of how great you feel. If you wait until you feel tired or low on energy it is too late.

Evaluate your paces early. It really needs to be feeling somewhere between easy and moderate effort until about half way, then starting to get a little harder but not hard until somewhere around 18m. If it feels hard at miles 6-8 then you need to back-off immediately. Don't start to push hard too soon either, if you still feel great at mile 18 then for sure you can pick p the pace a little but bare in mind you still have a long way to go so you need to be a little conservative. Gradually increase the pace, e.g. drop 5secods per mile and see how that feels. Thigns get exponentially harder as you go on.

Thanks, I'm taking an old waterproof windstopper to wear while waiting to start and then dispose of.

Old socks as arm warmers, nice thanks

I always wear a cap while running, I always wear clear or tinted glasses too.

I have never tried Gels, not going to either..I'm taking nutrition with me in my running waist pack.

My Pace will be the same as my previous 20+ mile training runs.

Thanks for the Tips :)

Caporegime
Thanks, I'm taking an old waterproof windstopper to wear while waiting to start and then dispose of.

Old socks as arm warmers, nice thanks

I always wear a cap while running, I always wear clear or tinted glasses too.

I have never tried Gels, not going to either..I'm taking nutrition with me in my running waist pack.

My Pace will be the same as my previous 20+ mile training runs.

Thanks for the Tips :)

Don't try anything new in the race, so if you haven't trained with gels then don't start taking them in the race. Gels are just popular because they are easy to digest and small.

Caporegime
I'm more of a sweatband man. Caps with visors create too much aerodynamic drag when I'm gunning it.:cool:

I've only worn a cap with visor in a very rainy marathon to keep the rain out of my eyes. Otherwise it just traps more heat. For easy runs in the spring I sometimes where a cap to stop the sun but in the summer its just too hot and I try and head out before sunrise anyway

Caporegime
Exactly, that's why I'm not.
I'm taking nutrition that I know and that my body is used to with me, in my running waist pack
:)

yeah, I understood, was just re-iterating.
Best thing you can do in the next few days is to try and sleep a lot and relax. Drink plenty of water and now you can start carb loading

Caporegime
OP
I've only worn a cap with visor in a very rainy marathon to keep the rain out of my eyes. Otherwise it just traps more heat. For easy runs in the spring I sometimes where a cap to stop the sun but in the summer its just too hot and I try and head out before sunrise anyway
Use the visors without the cap, a la poker hats. They're brilliant in all weathers.

Soldato
Things are looking promising.

WEBnb5L.jpgl

Back
Top Bottom