Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Well after the birth of our daughter and one injury and illness after another (IT band, repeated cystitis and kidney infection then a broken metatarsal from falling off the patio) I'm 3 weeks back running. My god I'm unfit and carrying too much weight but I love these early unfit times. Feeling wrecked after 3k is awesome.

We (wife and I) have said we won't be as competitive this time as it really sapped the fun out of it for us towards the end last time. Target is park running again by Xmas.

On that note do any of you run with buggies? Thinking of getting one so the little one can come along.

Soldato
Well after the birth of our daughter and one injury and illness after another (IT band, repeated cystitis and kidney infection then a broken metatarsal from falling off the patio) I'm 3 weeks back running. My god I'm unfit and carrying too much weight but I love these early unfit times. Feeling wrecked after 3k is awesome.

We (wife and I) have said we won't be as competitive this time as it really sapped the fun out of it for us towards the end last time. Target is park running again by Xmas.

On that note do any of you run with buggies? Thinking of getting one so the little one can come along.

I don't but I have thought about it, I see loads doing it at Park run.

Caporegime
Thanks for that, the gels i am using are https://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Sp...F8&qid=1505644458&sr=8-2&keywords=sis+running. I think you can do these without water.

This is a useful table:
http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Comparison_of_Energy_Gels

Form ehre we can see that Sis gels are largely Maltodextrin, which very good and requires less water to be isotonic. They also have salt which will require less water, but then this is a bit of a trade-off because maintaining electrolytes is important. For a shorter race like a half-marathon these are goign to be quite good and you wont need to drink much water to stay properly hydrated.

Caporegime

For the most part you tend to get what you pay for with gel, and since you normally don't use many then the cost is not a big factor. More important if you can properly digest them and get on with the flavors, consistency and sweetness.
I tend to use 1, occasional 2 gels in a 20-24 mile training run, and about 4 in a marathon. Whether they cost 50p or $1.50 doesn't really bother me consder the costs of entering a race, travel, hotels, and the number of runnign shoes I'll go through in a training cycle.

Associate
For the most part you tend to get what you pay for with gel, and since you normally don't use many then the cost is not a big factor. More important if you can properly digest them and get on with the flavors, consistency and sweetness.
I tend to use 1, occasional 2 gels in a 20-24 mile training run, and about 4 in a marathon. Whether they cost 50p or $1.50 doesn't really bother me consder the costs of entering a race, travel, hotels, and the number of runnign shoes I'll go through in a training cycle.

I am of the same mentality really, their cost is menial in the grand schemes.

Not even sure why i got some gels for my half, i think its more to help me mentally, and knowing and training myself to hit that 20 minutes mark so i can get another

Caporegime
I am of the same mentality really, their cost is menial in the grand schemes.

Not even sure why i got some gels for my half, i think its more to help me mentally, and knowing and training myself to hit that 20 minutes mark so i can get another

When i started runnign and for the first few races I also took the gel frequently and as you said, as a reward for going a certain distance time. Also used to take gummy bears and such like, popping 1 every mile. If it help with the mental side then great. My onyl concern taking lots of gels quickly is you can end up feeling sick with a mass of undigested sugar bouncing up and down in your tummy.

Associate
I like 2 for 1/2 distance, it "feels" like it pushes off the inevitable drop in energy. I'd have one at about 4.5miles and another at about 9-9.5.

Training, I'd maybe have just one at about 1/2 duration but only on 1:30+ runs, or 2 if it had been a harder week.

Yesterday I did my first long distance run in forever, 13.2 miles in 1:55 and no gels, but then it was unplanned and also probably unwise to do that distance being I've been so naff lately...felt quite sore today but a 3 mile recovery run today has loosened that all off thankfully. I've decided my London application will be successful so I need to get the training in now.

Soldato

Put in "best running gels" into google and they are in pretty much every list and they seem to work with me. I do use them, quite a lot really but then im bigger then you lot lol.

Caporegime
Put in "best running gels" into google and they are in pretty much every list and they seem to work with me. I do use them, quite a lot really but then im bigger then you lot lol.
These lists tend to be pretty useless IMO (e.g., I often see thing like Honey stinger recommended even although it is just simple sugars).
In any case there is probably nothing wrong with High5 but a quick looks shows low sodium, no potassium, no caffeine and minimal fructose so not really that great for me. Most important is if the gels work for you, luckily I really get on with Gu which is good because the makeup is a little more optimal. E.g.g, there is only so much maltodextrin you can digest per an hour, but you can digest small amounts fo sucrose and fructose along with maltodexrin. The lack of salt is not an issue in itslef but you would want to ensure proper hydration with an electrolytes drink or salt tabs with water, something like Gu with moderate sodium will work well with just water. That is why Gu is normally the go to gel for most people - tends to be very digestible and has well balanced sugars and salts with a wide choice of flavors. The other gels can work better if you have issues with Gu, and some are very similar in formula.

Associate
I don't know that i have ever seen the Gu ones around here. Maybe I am looking in the wrong shops :)

The last lot I 'bought' were SIS Go ones because they keep emailing me offering me 12 free ones as long as i pay the postage. They have been ok so far, until last week when they just seemed to want to go right through me...

Associate
Well done!

Remember to taper going in to tour goal race. No need for another long run. Cut the volume but don't slow down the runs, nothing too intense but a few strides or fartleks will help keep left turnover. Just remember there is nothing you can do in training that will make you significantly faster in the next 2 weeks, but you can definitely screw up your race by doing too much. In the days before the race getting plenty of sleep is your main goal, and save the beer for after the race!

So after that run on the Saturday, I did 5.6 miles on the Tuesday.

Hamstrings were a bit sore after that, so had a rest until last night where I just did a 10 minute run, seems better now.

Going to try a 5k run tonight, see how leg holds up :)

Caporegime
I don't know that i have ever seen the Gu ones around here. Maybe I am looking in the wrong shops :)

The last lot I 'bought' were SIS Go ones because they keep emailing me offering me 12 free ones as long as i pay the postage. They have been ok so far, until last week when they just seemed to want to go right through me...

Most gels are only available regionaly, but I'm sure you can get Gu in the UK.

Sometimes runnign gives you GI issues so it may not be the gel per se.

Soldato
XMiles sell Gu but I'd say they don't have a big presence in the UK.

https://xmiles.co.uk/collections/gels

Personally, I'd put gels in with running shoes. Test, find what works for you (digesting etc) and stick to them. My favourite are Torq as the flavours are good. I'll launch SiS ones down my neck if that's all at a feed station but I find they are a bit medicinal.

Soldato
I'd put gels in with running shoes. Test, find what works for you (digesting etc) and stick to them
The problem with running shoes, as soon as you find something you like (Asics Trabuco, Adidas nova Riot 5) they change the design/discontinue and you are back to square one auditioning new brands ... need to commit funds to stock-pile them

Back
Top Bottom