Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
yeah, 156 on a flat out 5k is defintiely on the low side, especially since when you race the cadence should end up slightly higher. I haven't raced a 5k but my track work and 10k races end up closer to 190SPM.
I wudln't beat yourself up over it, but slowly increasing your cadence to more like 170 will mostly liekly help with any knee issues and you might end up running a little faster.

Soldato
yeah, 156 on a flat out 5k is defintiely on the low side, especially since when you race the cadence should end up slightly higher. I haven't raced a 5k but my track work and 10k races end up closer to 190SPM.
I wudln't beat yourself up over it, but slowly increasing your cadence to more like 170 will mostly liekly help with any knee issues and you might end up running a little faster.

Yeah I'll not get too hung up on the cadence at the moment but if I can help avoid injuries and pain I'm all for that. I still need to get fitter to try and lower that HR, that's my biggest goal at the moment.

Soldato
Are all you guys generally fast runners? I keep seeing the 6,7,8 min per mile on Strava from people. I know I shouldn't get caught up with the minutes per mile but I never see anything at my pace. My best is just over 10 minutes per mile although if I'm out with my girlfriend, that can be 12/13 minutes per mile. Sure to most that'll be slow, but doesn't feel slow to me while I'm out. I'm not even sure I could go faster.

I still class myself as a runner though, even if people would disagree. Did any of you run at a slower pace when you first started?

Caporegime
I seem to top out at 160 spm at the moment. I could go faster i'm sure, but there is no way that I could maintain anything like that for any length of time.

Why not? It is more efficient so you should be able to run longer. Having a higher cadence doesn't mean running faster, you can run 180spm on the spot. It just means you prevent overstriding.

A higher cadence means more steps to cover a set distance so we h step is smaller, which induces less impact forces. Covering a longer distance each stride requires increased horizontal and vertical take off force, with increased vertical oscilation. Energy expelled fighting gravity is wasted. Moreover a heal strike reduces the amount of elastic energy retained for takeoff.

Caporegime
Are all you guys generally fast runners? I keep seeing the 6,7,8 min per mile on Strava from people. I know I shouldn't get caught up with the minutes per mile but I never see anything at my pace. My best is just over 10 minutes per mile although if I'm out with my girlfriend, that can be 12/13 minutes per mile. Sure to most that'll be slow, but doesn't feel slow to me while I'm out. I'm not even sure I could go faster.

I still class myself as a runner though, even if people would disagree. Did any of you run at a slower pace when you first started?
Ignore what other people run at, train to your own fitness. Training by heart rate is a great way of knowing you are running at the right places and making improvements as your HE declined to maintain the same pace.

I typically finishing the top 1% of races,but I will do a lot of running around d 8:15 to 8:45 a mile.

Most people train way too fast, basically racing their training runs. however, science shows that optimal training is reached when About 80% of your weekly volume is easy aerobic miles. If so no e is averaging an 8min mile through a week of running i would hope they are achieving around 17-18minute 5k, 36-37minute 10k, 1:20-1:24 Half marathon, etc.

Man of Honour
Sorry I missed this in the Christmas haze, thank you for your time. Still not sure about a running club, i'm not overly friendly :) Chichester Parkrun is my local and have run a few times, not sure I could get sub 20 on it, especially as it's mostly ankle deep mud at the moment.

I wouldn't class myself as a particularly sociable person but I find that I enjoy being part of a club and it does push me on a bit as a runner as well as giving me access to dozens of races and also training that I wouldn't otherwise be likely to get. It's not for everyone so see what works for you but most clubs will offer you a taster session or two for free so all it costs you to find out if you might like to do more is your time. You can also do a bit of research beforehand to see what might suit you - for instance there are two clubs close to me and I'd met some of the members for both through parkrun, all nice people but one club is more geared to leisurely running and the other is more competition focused so at this stage I picked the latter.

unlikely to be anything to do with shoes or needing a stretch. Probably bad technique or pacing. Try not to over-stride, keeping a high cadence and landing near ball of foot or at least flattish on the foot, avoding heavy heal strikes. Otherwise make sure pace is nice and easy, starting off slow for 20 minutes or so. If you want soemthign more intense then increase the incline.

I'm never quite sure whether people get too hung up on trying to achieve "perfect" technique - sure, there probably is a biomechanical ideal to aim for but in my rather uninformed opinion if the technique isn't dangerous or clearly causing problems then I'd just get out and run. The human body has a remarkable way of adapting and there's always a risk with getting too focused on one element that you interfere with the unconscious part of your technique which compensates for all your other flaws. As you've said though if making changes it's probably best to try and do it gradually as it's more likely to be sustainable.

Fast is relative term so don't get too hung up on what other people do or how fast they say they go - the aim is presumably to go running for your own enjoyment and fitness therefore I'd suggest the person to measure yourself against is you. It can be useful to measure your progress over time to identify where you've improved or if you've reached a plateau and whether you want to change things up to break through that or if you're happy where you are. There's an aphorism that running never gets easier, you just get faster or go further.

Finally if you consider yourself a runner then you're a runner, it doesn't matter what other people think of you or your pace, the judgement reflects more on them than on you so go out and enjoy yourself. P.S. don't forget to take rest days, especially at the start, as your body needs a chance to recover from the new demands you're putting on it.

Associate
Why not? It is more efficient so you should be able to run longer. Having a higher cadence doesn't mean running faster, you can run 180spm on the spot. It just means you prevent overstriding.

A higher cadence means more steps to cover a set distance so we h step is smaller, which induces less impact forces. Covering a longer distance each stride requires increased horizontal and vertical take off force, with increased vertical oscilation. Energy expelled fighting gravity is wasted. Moreover a heal strike reduces the amount of elastic energy retained for takeoff.

I know it's not about running faster but stepping faster. I just cannot seem to get it up there whilst on the road. I can do it (partly) on the treadmill but I find it difficult when outside. It is just a technique thing I am sure :)

Soldato
Do any of you guys own the Vivoactive 3? I've had the VA original for a year or so (Currently on sale in the MM:)) but want to upgrade it

Can't choose between this and the Fitbit Ionic :(

I had it, but returned it as i got a great deal on the Apple Watch.

If you scroll back a bit i posted quite a few thoughts as i was using them side by side, but generally i felt the software let the garmin down and it was expensive for what it was. I notice it's now down to around £240 in Currys which is a better price point for it.

Soldato
Are all you guys generally fast runners? I keep seeing the 6,7,8 min per mile on Strava from people. I know I shouldn't get caught up with the minutes per mile but I never see anything at my pace.

Mine definately isn't at that level and i'm in the Strava group :)

Although the last few runs i've really struggled and have ended up walking in parts which has reduced my times quite a bit. I'm averaging around 9:30-10:20 at the moment but the last time i was running (about 2 years ago) i was down around 8:15 so it is possible to reduce it over time. As people mentioned though, it doesnt bother me too much that i'm not slower than i used to be. My current pace feels right for me and it feels like i don't know how i used to run faster!

Last edited:
Associate

I swapped Strava over from Km to check and it looks like i am hitting around 10 Min miles in most cases. I am slowly improving but I am happy to be getting out more than anything :)

Soldato
Took me a while to work out C25k

Well done fella.

I went for a run after work before football. Went for the safe option of running near work rather than driving to football and running since it was cancelled last time.

Was having a great time but then my head torch battery died so had to really slow down as it was quite muddy woodland tracks.
Also I used that Map-o-meter site which said 6 miles. I took a slightly longer route and it was 4.6. Quite annoying!

Soldato
Associate
I know it's not about running faster but stepping faster. I just cannot seem to get it up there whilst on the road. I can do it (partly) on the treadmill but I find it difficult when outside. It is just a technique thing I am sure :)

I recently focussed on increasing my cadence as I have a history of knee damage. My 'natural' cadence was falling around 165 spm. I took out my sons metronome, set it to 170 and ran at that cadence. Gradually increased it to 180 over a few weeks.

All I can say is now 175 feels natural at slower speeds and 180+ at higher. No idea if its made me quicker yet.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom