Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Went out last night and walked for the first 10 minutes at a brisk pace before breaking into a steady jog and eventual run. Found that the tightness in my chest subsided within minutes this time. Perhaps I just wasn't warming up correctly.

I always make sure the first mile is the slowest, often this happens naturally with stiff legs, but even if I feel good I will make sure I am at a recovery pace. then slowly build in to the run.

Soldato
One thing i've noticed is i seem to struggle for the second mile.

First mile is pretty comfortable, but then i feel like i struggle for the second mile, and sometimes feel like it's just not a good day and contemplate cutting the run short, but then by around mile 3-4 i feel good again. It happens virtually every time so now i know to push through it but i never quite know why!

Caporegime
^^ I get that as well. Often time a long run ends up a bit of a roller coaster of ups and downs. This is especially true when doin ultratraining and when I did my 50 miler last August. There were times I felt like **** and then 30 minutes later was cruising.

On a short run it is sometimes because you know to ignore the first mile and naturally start slow, but the second mile your muscles still haven't fully warmed up and you are trying to speed up a little.

Associate
I've just started running again after an 18 month break - really looking forward to the training and progression in the coming months.

I've completed a number of half marathons so the target this year will be to complete a full marathon - given the break in training and current fitness levels I think a half marathon in early summer and marathon in autumn will be the goal.

Soldato
Did my first Parkrun this morning as I have a niggling hamstring injury that has meant I've not been able to play hockey since November.

I've gotten pretty fat over Christmas and have not done any running really since then so it will be interesting to see my time!

Did anyone else do a Parkrun today?

Associate
Did my first Parkrun this morning as I have a niggling hamstring injury that has meant I've not been able to play hockey since November.

I've gotten pretty fat over Christmas and have not done any running really since then so it will be interesting to see my time!

Did anyone else do a Parkrun today?

I did my first one today, came 35th at the Banbury one. Going to try committing to entering more of them, its good fun :D

Soldato
Still haven't done my first official ParkRun but today I did my 3rd unofficial ParkRun. The park was really full which didn't help, we was avoiding people throughout the entire run.

I think Strava gets confused sometimes if we're running at a slower pace as my stats seem different to my girlfriends even though I ran at her pace.

I finally bought myself a Ronhill jacket for running ad my coat is designed for mountain hiking, also bought a Flipbelt, you wouldn't even realise you had a phone round your waist. It's really good if you haven't tried one.

Permabanned
Well, I took a break Friday and yesterday. Went out tonight after doing a full and proper warm up. Ran twice the distance I managed on my best days last week (I'd say around 3/4 mile), and by Christ do I feel dreadful now.

Stiffness in the calves, a little bit sicky (though not actually thrown up) and overall completely knackered. Feels good to know I'm improving a little though, even if it does come at a price xD

Soldato
Started to get into a bit of running / jogging over the last week.

Im 35, smoked from aged 15-30, played a lot of football until about 19 or 20. I havent run since i was aged 20 which is horrendous. I have a route around where i live which is about 1.4 miles long, I will admit that im struggling to keep running without having to walk for a bit but at least im trying i suppose. Im trying to increase how far i can run before i need to walk and i can already notice im improving every time i go out.

How do i go about getting a decent pair or running shoes ? No where near me does the proper fitted (gait analysis). Do i just pop into a sport shop and go from there ? I definately need some sort of running shoe, my current trainers are bloody awful to run in.

Permabanned
^^^ Glad there's another semi noob here with me xD

My legs this morning are so damn sore. Went for a short walk before work to see if I could work out the stiffness and it's helped a little. Gonna have to give it a miss tonight and see how they're feeling tomorrow :(

Associate
I took 58 seconds off my 10k PB yesterday. Its the same course I've run my 10k PB on over the last 3 years. I've gone from 44:45 in 2016, 41:27 in 2017 and now 40:29.

The weather was perfect for running. Cool, but not cold and no wind. Really pleased with that and can see that sub40 is within reach. My pace suffered a bit in km 7 and 8 so I think that where I can improve. Hit 5km in 19:58, which is going to give me confidence for 5k rnning too

Soldato
That's a good sale :)

I got out again last night and felt good (bar some shin pain around the 2nd mile), was a little dissappointed with the pace as i felt i was running quicker than Strava suggested. I definately think the 5-6 mile is the sweet spot for me. I enjoy it much more than short 3-4 mile runs but it doesn't drag on and take ages like a longer run would. Am hoping to go for 8miles on Sunday though to start building up to the half marathon in April.

Someone was saying a while back that it's a good idea to have a few pairs of trainers and rotate. Is this a generally agreed theory? I know it's recommended to make regular shoes last longer but i'd have thought it'd be best to get one pair that work well and then replace when needed. Last night i ended up using an old pair because it was really wet and muddy. I think that lack of support is the cause of the shin pain, so will just bin them i think.

Associate
That's a good sale :)

I got out again last night and felt good (bar some shin pain around the 2nd mile), was a little dissappointed with the pace as i felt i was running quicker than Strava suggested. I definately think the 5-6 mile is the sweet spot for me. I enjoy it much more than short 3-4 mile runs but it doesn't drag on and take ages like a longer run would. Am hoping to go for 8miles on Sunday though to start building up to the half marathon in April.

Someone was saying a while back that it's a good idea to have a few pairs of trainers and rotate. Is this a generally agreed theory? I know it's recommended to make regular shoes last longer but i'd have thought it'd be best to get one pair that work well and then replace when needed. Last night i ended up using an old pair because it was really wet and muddy. I think that lack of support is the cause of the shin pain, so will just bin them i think.

My method is to run until they start needing to be replaced then buy the same pair again :p

Also now, I have 2 pairs of Vapour 3's (1 pair new, other on 420 miles) and a new pair of Nike Ultraglides.

I may try rotating the new Vapours and the Nikes or keep one pair for rain days and 1 for dry days.

Permabanned
Calf muscles feel much better today! Took every opportunity I had yesterday to do some stretches and I think that's helped a lot. The right ones still a little tight, but I think it's good enough for me to go out again tonight :)

Just going to aim for a long jog as apposed straight running for the next few days. I think trying to do everything fast is what's caused the issue, as well as it being bloody freezing when I go out!

Back
Top Bottom