Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Training wise, i don't really have a structured plan. Just go out 3-4 times a week and run whatever i feel like. At the moment it's anything between 3 and 10 miles.

I alternate between 3 pairs of trainers. I've not had gait analysis done recently but when i last did i was advised to go for "stability" based trainers and bought a pair of Mizuno Wave (not sure the model number). After that i've always just aimed for Stability rated trainers.

Probably around May 2016 i bought a set of Asics Phoenix. Ran with them quite often till around November 16 and then stopped. Started up again around July 17 and used them for a while but then bought 2 new pairs with the intention of alternating them in around October 17.

I now alternate between some Skechers Go Run and a pair of Adidas Ultraboost ST. Both feel comfortable and didn't cause any issues.

I might head to a local store to try and get my Gait checked again though.

Caporegime
Some running store people like to sell support shoes. I haven't researched too deeply because my feet don;t need them, but my understanding is that this is a somewhat controversial area. You might find a neutral pair works well.
Otherwise a good running form helps. A high cadence so there is less impact forces and muscle strain - think of it as gears on a bike, an easier gear means you spin your legs faster and it is much less force on the muscles. Weight centered/slightly forwards and your body lands over the leg not behind it, which causes a braking motion.

Otherwise if you are resting a lot and still are stiff it could be medical. I know someone who had anemia and was always tired and stiff, iron supplements helped.

On the days you are not running it helps to be active, swimming, cycling, walking, elliptical etc. I find a rest day generally makes me feel super tight, so often elect for a very easy short run if possible.

Don
I sometimes get this. I find it really helps to give yourself a solid deep tissue massage and lots of foam rolling. Muscles and tends tighten up and some hard pushing and poking goes a long way. Also realize that all these muscles and tendons are connected form the front of your foot all up the calf to the knee and up the legs. So a tightness or issues in one area can result in issues somewhere else. If I am doing a lot of speed work then I start to get PF, but this happens exact same time I get a very tight knot in upper calf and the odd pain in the knees. Running easy, stopping any speed work, lots of foam rolling and its gone pretty quick.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My pace certainly isn't any where near yours (8min/mile) but certainly I'm pushing myself hard for my 10-miler in May and my half in October. I'm trying to get back to my pace from last Autumn (with incremental pace / distance each week)

Soldato
I sprained my ankle quite badly a few years ago so it's always been weak. I assumed that explained the Support based trainers. I might order a set of neutral shoes to see how they are.

I have also previously suffered from low iron, although i now try and eat a much better diet.

I think running in the evenings will be a factor. Hopefully if i can stick to doing those dynamic stretches before/after it will help a lot.

Caporegime
Thanks, I'll give that a try. My pace certainly isn't any where near yours (8min/mile) but certainly I'm pushing myself hard for my 10-miler in May and my half in October. I'm trying to get back to my pace from last Autumn (with incremental pace / distance each week)

Dopn't try and force yourself to increase pace, this will lead to over training and/or injury. you can't rain to run at a specific pace, you can only train at your current fitness. You can't make yourself race faster by forcing yourself to train faster. you need to set a pace based on effort, not a time on the watch. Best way to do this is with a combination of heart rate zone training, and just beign aware of your exertion level. Most runs should be easy, those that aren't need a specific purpose like intervals on a track or a tempo run. Make easy easy, and hard hard. Ignore paces, run by effort and you will find as time goes on you will run faster for the same effort.

Caporegime
I sprained my ankle quite badly a few years ago so it's always been weak. I assumed that explained the Support based trainers. I might order a set of neutral shoes to see how they are.

I have also previously suffered from low iron, although i now try and eat a much better diet.

I think running in the evenings will be a factor. Hopefully if i can stick to doing those dynamic stretches before/after it will help a lot.

I don;t think having a weak ankle in itself should be a support shoe, and I don't think a support shoe would help stop it spraining anyway. You can do some strength exercies for your ankle, thing like balancing on the toes ball of one foot with your eyes closes, hopping up the stairs on 1 foot etc.

Soldato
I've been getting some persistent stiffness / soreness in my right calf muscle. I've finally ordered some rollers to try and get it sorted before resorting to physio.

Used them yet?

I got my roller yesterday and it's certainly more uncomfortable than i was expecting. My calves feel like the worst as i can only roller with the weight of one leg on it, not putting extra pressure on using the other leg.

My main concern is all the reports of doing more damage than good by rolling in the wrong way

Don
Used them yet?

I got my roller yesterday and it's certainly more uncomfortable than i was expecting. My calves feel like the worst as i can only roller with the weight of one leg on it, not putting extra pressure on using the other leg.

My main concern is all the reports of doing more damage than good by rolling in the wrong way

Mine arrived yesterday and I used it for the first time last night when I got home from work. It definitely helped me identify a "trigger point" on my right leg, just above my heel. My leg did feel better on the school walk this morning, but that could be because I had a rest day yesterday too. I guess the proper test will be how I feel tomorrow after my afternoon run later.

Soldato
That is a warning sign to back away for a bit. Normally these things pass in a few days of rest, but be very careful when running again. Keep the first few runs extra short, even if you feel good.

Well I haven't ran since this post. In fact I haven't even been to the gym to do any work as I couldn't put any weight on the heel. My injury was so sore I couldn't put any weight on it even walking and had to go A&E to get it checked out. Fortunately/Unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I hadn't broken or fractured anything and the injury was put down to either/and injury of the Achilles and Plantar Fasciitis. Over the past week I've at least been able to walk around the office without having to limp, so I am to try walking on the the treadmill this evening to test things out. And before D.P chime in.... Yes I'll take it easy! :)

I'm doing a 5km relay section of the Belfast Marathon with a team from work on the 7th May and feel that I'm in no way prepared for it physically given I've had this injury. Any suggestions on how I should get back into some sort of running pattern to prepare for the missed training?

Caporegime
Well I haven't ran since this post. In fact I haven't even been to the gym to do any work as I couldn't put any weight on the heel. My injury was so sore I couldn't put any weight on it even walking and had to go A&E to get it checked out. Fortunately/Unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I hadn't broken or fractured anything and the injury was put down to either/and injury of the Achilles and Plantar Fasciitis. Over the past week I've at least been able to walk around the office without having to limp, so I am to try walking on the the treadmill this evening to test things out. And before D.P chime in.... Yes I'll take it easy! :)

I'm doing a 5km relay section of the Belfast Marathon with a team from work on the 7th May and feel that I'm in no way prepared for it physically given I've had this injury. Any suggestions on how I should get back into some sort of running pattern to prepare for the missed training?

here I am :D

Seems serious. Your #1 goal hsould be on recovery, forget anything about training or races or fitness. If you had something with the AT or PF that was so severe you went to A&E, i would suggest that you have no plans for the next 3-4 months and just see what comes.

You cannot make up for lost training. if you have missed 2 weeks, then you have missed 2 weeks. Trying to compensate will lead to re-injury.
If you are not careful, the PF can become chronic and you may never be able to run again.

I would look at doing swimming and cycling, with the occasional wal for a few weeks. Then try a gentle jog on the TM, e.g. 11 minute a mile for 1 mile, regardless how good you feel. See how you feel the next day, but you can then try something like 10:45 pace for 1.5 miles. These distances and paces are vague because I don;t know what distances and paces you could do before. For reference, i rolled my ankle in the summer hiking and didn't run for 2-3 weeks, when i got back I did a 1 mile at around 10 pace, but I was training 80-100 miles a week with easy pace around 8:20 and churning out 20 mile runs at 7:40 pace like they were a walk in the park. SO 1 mile at 10 pace was ridiculous. I did 3 days 1m,1.5m, 2.m, then a rst day, 1.5m, 2.5m, 4m, rest day, etc. Each run about 10-15 seconds faster. After about 10 days I was back to doing regular runs, but didn't do anything too hard for 6 weeks when it was race day.

The issue is you think you are all better so you go out and do a longer run, and as you don;t notice anything and enjoy it so much you push even further, then wham, you wake up the next day back at square 1. Or worse still you increase run distances and all seems OK but a few weeks later doing a hard workout the injury resurfaces, worse than ever. So you have to be extra cautious, regardles sof how it feels while running

Associate
What He Said...

I thought my Achilles was ok about 3 weeks after I damaged it last year. Went and tried a 1/2 marathon (I had paid for it and wanted a medal!) Had to give up after about 3 miles and couldn't run for another 5 months!

Caporegime
What He Said...

I thought my Achilles was ok about 3 weeks after I damaged it last year. Went and tried a 1/2 marathon (I had paid for it and wanted a medal!) Had to give up after about 3 miles and couldn't run for another 5 months!

OUCH. Good lesson or everyone

Associate
I am now just paranoid about every little twinge!

Thinking back on the day now, I recall thinking in the first km that my laces didn't feel quite right and stopping to adjust them before thinking that they were probably ok. Should have just stopped then.

Soldato
here I am :D

Seems serious. Your #1 goal hsould be on recovery, forget anything about training or races or fitness. If you had something with the AT or PF that was so severe you went to A&E, i would suggest that you have no plans for the next 3-4 months and just see what comes.

You cannot make up for lost training. if you have missed 2 weeks, then you have missed 2 weeks. Trying to compensate will lead to re-injury.
If you are not careful, the PF can become chronic and you may never be able to run again.

I would look at doing swimming and cycling, with the occasional wal for a few weeks. Then try a gentle jog on the TM, e.g. 11 minute a mile for 1 mile, regardless how good you feel. See how you feel the next day, but you can then try something like 10:45 pace for 1.5 miles. These distances and paces are vague because I don;t know what distances and paces you could do before. For reference, i rolled my ankle in the summer hiking and didn't run for 2-3 weeks, when i got back I did a 1 mile at around 10 pace, but I was training 80-100 miles a week with easy pace around 8:20 and churning out 20 mile runs at 7:40 pace like they were a walk in the park. SO 1 mile at 10 pace was ridiculous. I did 3 days 1m,1.5m, 2.m, then a rst day, 1.5m, 2.5m, 4m, rest day, etc. Each run about 10-15 seconds faster. After about 10 days I was back to doing regular runs, but didn't do anything too hard for 6 weeks when it was race day.

The issue is you think you are all better so you go out and do a longer run, and as you don;t notice anything and enjoy it so much you push even further, then wham, you wake up the next day back at square 1. Or worse still you increase run distances and all seems OK but a few weeks later doing a hard workout the injury resurfaces, worse than ever. So you have to be extra cautious, regardles sof how it feels while running

It felt pretty serious. I kind of wish it was a broken bone or fracture, I guess those can be quicker to heal. Flip the potential hitas for 3-4 months isn't filling me with confidence but I totally understand why. Shame I'm sort of committed to this relay with work, as its all been arranged with a charity etc and it was a struggle to get the required numbers to participate never mind find a substitute.

Cycling sounds a good option D.P, and definitely I'd feel more comfortable indoor cycling than swimming. Thanks for the rough idea of a possible strategy regarding the TM.

My fear is indeed going too hard too soon and the injury coming back or even worse.

Are there any exercises (leg press, calve extensions, etc.) that I could do at my local PureGym that people would recommend to help build strength back into my legs/feet?

Cheers for the advice as usual guys :)

Caporegime
The injury is not really lack of strength related. It would also be good to check if it is Achilles of PF, as treatment will differ.

You really just have to let these tendons heal and then gently add exercise so any scar tissue breaks down slowly and the tendon continues to strengthen.

With your 5k, you really need to consider if you are in a situation to run it. Your health is more important. Read what ian_eb says as a warning! If there is no way out don;t be afraid just to walk it. There is time to recover for sure, but you need to drop any expectation and just see what happens.

Caporegime
Finally got a good week running done.
Monday had a hard intervals session: 10x800m, Well half a Mile on some farm roads, at about 2:55 to 3:00 mins.
Tuesday cross training ski tour with 5000ft gain trail breaking.
Wednesday I had a a recovery running the morning and a hard lactate threshold run, 3warm up and 6 at 6:22 to 6:00 pace depending on hills.
Thursday GA 11miles.
Friday 23.3mile long and slow.
Yesterday 2 easy runs of 5-6miles.
And a hilly slow 13 today.

90.2 miles for the week nearly 6000ft of running, 98 miles and 11k feet with the ski tour. Good distance for 6 days of running and the best of the year. Long way from my normal training but it still pays off. This week's workout were on form and my watch updated my VO2max to 60. Real value likely about 57.

2 more weeks of hard training before taper.

Caporegime
Another good workout done, 10x800m. With warm up, coll down and some extended recoveries that came to 15 miles. However, it was windy as **** and the splits are all over the place. 2:52 with the wind behind me, 3:33 was the slowest going in to the wind. On my way back to the car some of the strongest gusts slowed me down to a walk. nasty windchill as well, kept my runnign jacket on the whole time despite the hard workout.

Soldato
47 and a half miles (gotta count the half) in the peaks today, slowly slowly like a snail. Recovering with cheese and IPA. Half marathon on the weekend to look forward to with some mates who I enjoyed the MdS with. Hard work this getting old lark.

Soldato
The brighter mornings are starting to get back my drive to do some running and I quite fancy getting myself something so I don't have to use my phone to do my tracking, which is getting progressively more tricky as the screen is beginning to fail and can be a pain to get to switch on when I want to see how I'm doing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an entry level running watch? I've been reading reviews of the Polar M200 (which was £70 on amazon yesterday and £90 today... :( ) which seems to be pretty good but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

If there were any that had similar functionality but could play music/podcasts that would be good, though I could have course get myself a tiny mp3 player to use for running too.

Back
Top Bottom