Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Don
I just hate getting my feet wet. I can cope with my arms and legs (it helps to cool off) but running with wet feet and soggy socks = no! Especially since my shoes have lots of mesh!

Caporegime
I just hate getting my feet wet. I can cope with my arms and legs (it helps to cool off) but running with wet feet and soggy socks = no! Especially since my shoes have lots of mesh!

yeah, that is a pain.
One thing you can do is looped runs that go back to the car/house and you can chnage sheos and socks.

Although i find it takes about an hour before my shoes are wet enough to be a pain, and I can run another 30 minutes before worrying about blisters or anything. When its pouring with rain i wont be running longer than that anyway.

Caporegime
Got my Boston bib number and wave assignment. Wave 1, corral 3, so with other runners going sub 2:57. Not sure i am in that shape anymore TBH.
I can't imagine being in a corral with literally 1000 runners who ran a 2:57 or faster. And Corrals 1 and 2 have another 1000 each. Madness! My last marathon I lined up a few rows being the elites.

Soldato
Are you heading to Boston especially for the marathon then? I keep questioning whether i even want to try and sign up to London because of the distance from Manchester!

I've got my bike/Zwift setup and haven't been for a run since Monday as have used the bike as it's still a novelty. Really need to be strict with that and make sure i still run, especially with it only being 6 weeks till my first half.

Associate
We are going on the train to London. Standard train pricing applies though. From Congleton it was £280 return for 2 adults and 2 kids. If I drive 35 mins down the road to Stafford then it is £60 return for the 4 of us. Car parking for 2 days there is about £15.

I was looking at Zwift for the running part. I would need to construct a shelf of some sort and it all seemed a bit too much for what is at the end of the day only temporary. Once the clocks change etc. then I will be able to get out in the light in the mornings/evenings properly.

Think the bike will get dragged back out after the marathon as well. I am hoping that running and cycling will complement each other :)

Soldato
Yeah i eyed that up before i bought the bike. I think for me to get a treadmill though i'd want technology to move to the point where it reacts to my speed, so as i speed up, it speeds up without me pressing a button to control speed.

Without that something like Zwift Run is a bit rubbish i think.

I read an article about a treadmill like that, but they were all dated April 2015 and i couldn't find anything since.

Soldato
That module seems to be more about getting the data from the treadmill though doesn't it rather than controling the speed of the treadmill automatically.

What i mean is with the Zwift on a bike, as i pedal harder my guy moves quicker. Whereas with the treadmill there's no interaction like that. If i see someone ahead of me on the track i want to be able to sprint and catch them, not have to press a button to speed up.

Associate
It looks like it can control some stuff

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/announces-gymconnect-integration.html

Transmits treadmill data over ANT+ via ANT+ FE-C standards: This includes anything that the treadmill and the FE-C standard supports. Examples include your pace, distance, incline, and heart rate (if it has a HR sensor on the treadmill). It does not transmit as a standard ANT+ footpod unfortunately.

Transmits treadmill data over Bluetooth Smart API: This includes anything that the treadmill does, but using a Wahoo Fitness Bluetooth Smart API they’ve developed. Examples include your pace, distance, incline, and heart rate (if it has a HR sensor on the treadmill). It does not transmit as a standard Bluetooth Smart footpod unfortunately.

Can control incline of treadmill: The module can tell the treadmill to increase or decrease the incline automatically.

Can send programs to the treadmill: For treadmills that support it, the unit can send them pre-programmed routes/efforts that change the resistance or provide guidance.

One thing it can’t do – change speed in realtime*: This is done for safety/legal reasons, and in talking to Wahoo, this sounds like treadmill manufacturers view this line as a ‘over our dead bodies’ type of thing. Which is fair, I’m not sure I’d trust all 3rd party apps to not have a bug that changes a treadmill speed from 6MPH to 15MPH in 1 second and throws me against a wall, like these awesome YouTube videos. *(Update: Wahoo has clarified there’s an exception to this. An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout. Whereas it won’t allow you to adjust the pace in real-time from the app.)

Caporegime
Are you heading to Boston especially for the marathon then? I keep questioning whether i even want to try and sign up to London because of the distance from Manchester!

Yes, Boston is the Marathon Mecca, the world's oldest and most prestigious annual marathon. A long way to go and a lot of money (cheapest hotels are $350 a night!), but it is like the closest thing i will get to taking apart in the Olympics or such like. The fastest marathoners in the world all taking part in a race with so much history, massive crowd support.

The qualifying times are really quite tough (3:05 official, but need more like 3:02 to get in). Thus just qualifying is a huge achievement. When i signed up I lived in Virginia so just a short non stop flight. Adding a trans-atlantic flight adds to the cost but it is not a cheap event anyway.

I might look at NYC, Chicago or Berlin for future marathons. I'll no doubt run some fo the more local ones but I'm at a point where I'm rapidly loosing energy to try and PR each time, and I am fighting age each year now So marathons will be about the experience and destination. Goal races will be ultraarathons without a worry about seconds per mile here and there.

Caporegime
That module seems to be more about getting the data from the treadmill though doesn't it rather than controling the speed of the treadmill automatically.

What i mean is with the Zwift on a bike, as i pedal harder my guy moves quicker. Whereas with the treadmill there's no interaction like that. If i see someone ahead of me on the track i want to be able to sprint and catch them, not have to press a button to speed up.

The problem is safety related, no treadmill manufacturer ants to see its customers fly off the back of a treadmill. Also there is a technical aspect that almost no treadmills could detect a change in your running speed. If you run faster you will just hit the front of the TM.

TBH, the swift running is a bit pointless and I don;t think it will lead to good training habits. Strava is bad enough with segment records, route records etc. Running is very different to cycling, you don;t want to be racing segments, or virtual runners that often. Cyclign is different because you can train with more intensity, do harder sessions racing people or getting a KoM,, because you recover faster.

I struggled with my run today because I hadn;t recovered form my intervals on wednesday. Wanted some Marathon pace miles in my LR but just couldn't;t get the leg turnover

Caporegime
One for you then D.P? http://everestmarathon.com/

Just out of interest how old is everyone here? I am 48 and getting older :(

The hard part would be the altitude. I'm doing the Swiss Peaks 90km, 6200m climb in September. If I complete that I get enough points for the CCC lottery.

I'm 35, which is still plenty young enough for marathons but each year i can expect to loose about 1 minute if I train equally hard. Not much, but I think i am only a few minutes away form my potential anyway so would have to keep training very hard and hope the stars align on race day.

Associate
Sounds good! My number came today 2701, I'll be in a Blue Totton Running club T-Shirt.
Sweet, it's on like Donkey Kong :) Am bib 2310, will be in my fave Salomon red shirt, blue Kinvaras with yellow laces.

Good luck! Glad you control injuries.

Be very careful for that second race, you may not have recovered properly. Definitely les chance of a PR unless a soft target
Thanks, unfortunately brewing a mild cold - hoping it goes away. It was partly your advice that made me listen to my body more :)

Really need a good showing to gain a club place in the South Downs Way relay, have no form this year.

Caporegime
Also that Everest Marathon looks insane! I remember an old colleague used to do the Snowdon marathon and i thought that was mental!

have a look at UTMB, Hardrock100 etc. You are looking at 100miles+/170km, 10,000meters of elevation gains (and the same loss!)

Caporegime
31 here, but fat! Which counteracts my (relative) youth.

This is a link to the treadmill i read about

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/automated-treadmill-like-running-outdoors

It uses various sensors to determine speed. Although the fact the only articles on it are 3 years old suggests they didn't get anywhere!

I lost 20kgs from running!

Just a research idea though.

the problem is if you run closer to the front of the TM it speeds up, so if you can;t reach that stop button in time you will fly off the back of the TM. Could be quite amusing getting someone running on one, going faster and faster until they fail. Of course the TM can try to b a bit smarter but it shows the issues with automating anything on a TM.

The biggest issue with a TM is you are stuck inside and not enjoying nature!

Back
Top Bottom