Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
We
New 10K PR 39:50 :D:D:D

Basically ran a flat 4 minute kilometer for 10K and sprinted at the end. Resisted the urge to go off quicker, resisted the sound of people on my shoulder and the few that crept past and after 4K reeled them all in and more, really enjoyed cruising past lots of runners. Finished 52 of 1710.

Also means I must have run a sub 20 5K somewhere.

Next up I have two cross country 10k and then another fast road 10k in middle of June. More stamina required before I attempt to get under 90 minutes for a half.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1583745130

Well done Sub40 is amazing. I need to find 28 seconds and I'll be there too! Probably not until next year now as I'm working on my distance ready for my first marathon in September.

If you want a fast half to target the sub90 try Gosport in November. As long as it's not windy, it's a quick course, with minimal turns and no elevation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well done Blackvault, do keep a close eye on how you feel as you go round but I'm glad you enjoyed it. parkrun is a good way to get some social running in and it can give you something to train for and look forward to.

Associate
Well done Sub40 is amazing. I need to find 28 seconds and I'll be there too! Probably not until next year now as I'm working on my distance ready for my first marathon in September.

If you want a fast half to target the sub90 try Gosport in November. As long as it's not windy, it's a quick course, with minimal turns and no elevation.
Thanks :D Our times are quite close over most distances, are you still planning to run the rescheduled Eastleigh 10k?
I will definitely give Gosport a look, still hopeful I can hit sub 90 this year and then start looking at short Ultras.
Annoyingly I got a chesty cold the day after the 10K and haven't run for a week, missed one trail race... gagging to run now though.

Soldato
Well done Blackvault, do keep a close eye on how you feel as you go round but I'm glad you enjoyed it. parkrun is a good way to get some social running in and it can give you something to train for and look forward to.
Thanks mate for the concern. I definitely don't want to collapse or anything. :)

Yes, I think it will give me something to aim for. It was my 3rd fastest 5km time so I'm happy enough at the moment.

Soldato
Anyone had achy shins before when running? I got achy shins within about 100 meters from leaving the house and they didn't go away so ended my run at 1.5miles. I've left it a few days and gone for a run today they're not as bad but still in pain so again did a short run. Should I leave it longer

Caporegime
Anyone had achy shins before when running? I got achy shins within about 100 meters from leaving the house and they didn't go away so ended my run at 1.5miles. I've left it a few days and gone for a run today they're not as bad but still in pain so again did a short run. Should I leave it longer

Shin splints are sign of running too much too soon, and running too hard. Take your time building up the muscular-skeletal adaptions, and keep the runs nice and easy until you have developed stronger legs and good aerobic performance. Keep your runs at a conversational pace.

Soldato
I'd have thought skipping would be equally bad as it's the same amount of impact on the shins.

I've been out twice this week now which is more than i can say i've done for weeks! Monday i got around 5m done which i qas quite happy with given the break, but this morning was a real struggle and i did less than 3m even with walking. Just seemed to have very little energy. Not helped that my knee felt weak.

Associate
Yes, I had really painful shin splints for the first three months when I took up running. Didn't think they'd go away but eventually they did and never came back. Just your body adjusting :)

Soldato
This is a question for the morning runners but with the heat recently i keep finding myself waking up feeling really tired and dehydrated. More often that not this means i turn off the alarm and go back to sleep but i need to stop doing this.

I've been going to bed around 10pm to get up at half 5, so getting plenty sleep and drinking 2 pints of water before bed but this doesn't seem to do anything!

Associate
This is a question for the morning runners but with the heat recently i keep finding myself waking up feeling really tired and dehydrated. More often that not this means i turn off the alarm and go back to sleep but i need to stop doing this.

I've been going to bed around 10pm to get up at half 5, so getting plenty sleep and drinking 2 pints of water before bed but this doesn't seem to do anything!

I find a couple of beers a night refreshes me for my next run :p

Back
Top Bottom