1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by platypus, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jsmoke

Soldato

You did 14mins for 5k or 14 miles?

2. Marvt74

Capodecina

14 miles.

My 5k is about 27 minutes at best!

3. Ian_Eb

Hitman

You will have to tell us now ;-)

4. Marvt74

Capodecina

To be honest it's not too bad. Mainly bits of Chemical Brothers and indie stuff to try and stay upbeat!

Was going to see if i could share my Spotify playlist but can't work out how (i don't have it installed on my laptop)

5. Ian_Eb

Hitman

My Spotify play history keeps getting messed up with the garbage that the kids play.

6. Marvt74

Capodecina

Haha yes, i have that issue too as my Spotify account is linked to all the Google Home devices in the house.

Although think i also got hacked as had absolutely loads of weird suggestions recently and in my recently played list. Quick change of password seems to have stopped that though.

7. Ian_Eb

Hitman

In other news, I did 12k last night without really breaking any HR limits and then when I got home, discovered that I was 6 mins quicker on that route than when I last did it (Way back in 2017)

2017 Avg HR was 145
    2019 Avg HR was 148

I would say that I felt loads better after last night than back in 2017. What the average doesn't show is that the HR is much smoother now compared to being very peaky in 2017.

8. Ian_Eb

Hitman

I did wonder why mine had stopped working ;-)

9. Marvt74

Capodecina

Great work. Especially after being close to requiring amputation of the leg :p

10. Ian_Eb

Hitman

I think 2017 was when I did my Achilles in :) It is loads better now though. I can tell something happened to it is if feel round it, but the pain has all gone. No leg removal just yet.

11. The Darkness

Hitman

High mileage week for me last week, hitting 65 miles. Recovery week now!

12. Marvt74

Capodecina

That's some impressive mileage mate. What was your previous average like?

13. The Darkness

Hitman

I've increased it over the past ~ 8 months from about 25-35/week. I run most days now (compared to 3-4 times a week back then), and follow the 80/20 formula pretty strictly (probably less than 20% high intensity stuff typically). As an older runner (47) I've been surprised at how fresh I feel on this higher mileage/frequency.

14. Yucca

Wise Guy

What watch do you use if you don't mind me asking?

15. D.P.

Caporegime

I use a garmin 934. Main reason is 24hr battery life and can recharge on the run for long ultras.

Has a 920 before that which was almost as good but couldn't charge while recording .

Before that a 620, perfect for cssusk running.

At each upgrade GPS accuracy declined. That is s bummer

16. Marvt74

Capodecina

That's a shame about accuracy.

@Yucca for me it depends on the type of training your doing. If you're doing intervals, then as @D.P. says you don't want an optical one as they're slow to react to changes in activity. If you just want to generally track HR over long steady runs to get a rough idea of your HR zone i don't think they're too bad.

17. jsmoke

Soldato

Can someone spec me a pair of trainers, I don't want a gait analysis either. I'm looking at Brookes Ghost, Addidas Supernov NT and Nike pegasus. It's for 5k on the road. Want light, bit spongy and ideally as long lasting as possible, although that seems impossible nowadays.

18. Marvt74

Capodecina

No one can because everyone runs differently. Why don't you wait an gait analysis done?

If you're adamant though i believe Brookes do a questionnaire to try and help you choose some.

19. neilw

Hitman

I use Ghosts as my general purpose shoes. I can recommend them. Should be getting a new pair of Ghost11's this week, they've been out of stock for months! My Ghost 10s have done over 600 miles now, and are starting to feel a bit flat, the tread is ok and the upper looks new.

They are not super light. If want to compromise some comfort for weight look at Brooks HyperIon, Adidas Adios, Nike Zoom FlyKnit

I would advise you get your gait checked though. You are looking at natural shoes, if you pronate at all you'll end up with a shoe that's going to cause you problems.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  20. jsmoke

Soldato