Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Cheers for expanding on that. Definitely, something that could come in handy in coming years! :)

If you are good at running close to even splits then adding walking breaks will only make you slower, but if you tend to suffer at the end then they definitely make you faster. Also useful if you have had a disaster of training cycle, or are entering a marathon after coming back from injury or sickness and you don't know how you will cope.
the time cost is far smaller than you expect because the difference in paces is not big unless you are close to a 3hr marathon finisher, and the amount of time walking is small. So even if you are a faster runner in good shape the time cost might be 5 to 10 minutes, but if you are slower or have a risk of blowing up at mile 18 etc., then you can easily save 5 to 30 minutes on your finish time.

You also get a huge mental boost having a strong finish over taking loads of people rather than a suffer-fest slogging to the end after you have hit the wall.

None of this applies though if you ar in good shape with a reasonable training cycle and you ave experienced a marathon or 2. Even if training wasn't what you wanted the better strategy is just a more conservative goal pace and an extra slow start

Caporegime
Also, some people have a bad misconception that taking walking breaks is some how cheating. It is nonsense, even if you are a determined racer the only thing what would count is crossing the line as fast as possible and a run-walk strategy will definitely achieve that if your training and experience is not up to par. Far better to have control 1 minute walking breaks form the start than collapse in a heap mile 20 and spend the next 80 minutes walking to the finish.

Also, even professionally will use a run-walk strategy when trying to go the fastest pace over a long distance. The only difference is they have the endurance for a marathon so will employ a run-walk in a longer ultra.

Caporegime
Also, if anyone has had a really good training cycle and feels that they are in great shape for a PR I can give my pacing thoughts.

Associate
Also, if anyone has had a really good training cycle and feels that they are in great shape for a PR I can give my pacing thoughts.

I'll take you up on that DP.

Quick recap: 18 months ago I ran 3hr 27. That was on training 3 times a week, typical weekly mileage 25-35 miles. Fast forward to now. Been running every day or 6 times/week for last 6 months, averaging 60-65mpw. Broken PB's for 10k (38m 5s) and half marathon (81 min 50 sec, 3 weeks ago). I now have 3 weeks until Boston UK marathon and my target is to break 3hrs, ideally going as close to 2hr 55 as my form will take me.

Current pacing thinking: first mile - stick at 6:45 ish. Mile 2-3 adjust pace a little based on heart rate. I know from previous marathons the exertion I can maintain for 3.5hrs so I plan to stick to this and see what pace I run. Training runs indicate 6:40/mile is realistic with target heart rate.

I admit its not much of a plan, but how would you play it DP?

Cheers

Soldato
Just got back from another 10 miles which is the first time I’ve hit double figures since 14 miles at the end of Jan so felt like a good mental barrier to break.

I don’t know what it was but I was dead for the first 4.5 miles with a constant stitch and had to walk quite often which was probably a good way to experiment with the walking tactic. Turned around at that point to head back and ended up feeling quite good and took a slight detour to add an extra mile. What was quite odd was that towards the end I felt strong and thought I picked the pace up a bit and held a HR of around 180. Yet when looking back at Strava I was still slower than usual.

Shows how sometimes it’s just not your day!

Now have awful stomach pains :(

Soldato
Just got back from another 10 miles which is the first time I’ve hit double figures since 14 miles at the end of Jan so felt like a good mental barrier to break.

I don’t know what it was but I was dead for the first 4.5 miles with a constant stitch and had to walk quite often which was probably a good way to experiment with the walking tactic. Turned around at that point to head back and ended up feeling quite good and took a slight detour to add an extra mile. What was quite odd was that towards the end I felt strong and thought I picked the pace up a bit and held a HR of around 180. Yet when looking back at Strava I was still slower than usual.

Shows how sometimes it’s just not your day!

Now have awful stomach pains :(

Well done on getting back into double figures mate! Sounds a run of up and downs to be fair, feeling better today?

Soldato
Yeah, spent a lot of time stretching last night and feel alright today, not even much in the way of aches. That's 21m for the week. Hopefully get another 8-9miles in at the weekend and same again next week which should stand me in a decent position all things considered.

Have been chatting to a guy from a local running club, thinking i may join. Although i do prefer running alone with headphones.

Soldato
@Marvt74 definitely join the running club, or at least try a few sessions out. They're a definite motivator and you can always run solo in between sessions.

I have Ashby 20 this weekend. I entered off the back of a great HM PB in December (1:35) and was confident of getting round in 2:30 but since then confidence has dropped and now I'm hoping for 2:45 ish.

It's the furthest I've ever ran although I did 18.7 last Sunday so shouldn't have any issues on the day.

Soldato
Finished today in 2:35:41 (chip time) which I am very happy with! Quite a rolling course which made it interesting. Strava link - https://www.strava.com/activities/2236934965

Hope you've all had a good weekend of running.

Just looked at the map, i'll be down your way next month for a few days at Champneys!

Having ran around that area last time i was there in December it sure has its fair share of hills. Great work.

Soldato
I went and did the hilliest ever "run" with a colleague in the Glens of Antrim.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2234608945

It was such a beautiful view from the top of the Glen, and you could see Scotland across the Irish Sea. The elevation on the route was mental, and straight out the car, we were faced with a "near vertical" ascent up the stairs. Out on the back side of the route, where it was flatter, I was able to just about keep up with my colleague. I'm not sure I'll be doing it every week, but maybe every 4-6 weeks to build up the muscles. I'll never complain that my local runs after "hilly" again!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
@Dup

Having just looked a bit more closely. By any chance do you work at a company well known for holiday cottages?

Thought that end point looked familar. I got offered a job there a few years ago but ended up taking another offer.

I do indeed :) What job did you go for? Looks like your training is picking up. Try get a longer run in this week to see where you're at and you'll be fine I reckon.

@Blackvault that's some elevation profile. I live close to Pendle Hill and fancy using that for some fell running training once I've done my marathons. Do want to get my 10k pace up though.

@daveski Awesome effort for 20 miles, I'd be well chuffed with that.

Soldato
Finance related. I went for one job about 5yrs ago but wasn’t really right for it so wasn’t offered it.

Then in 2015 I went for a Project Accountant role which I was offered but it was a 6 month thing and I was offered a perm role elsewhere with a better commute/benefits.

Seemed like a good place to work though. What do you do there?

Back
Top Bottom