Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Underboss
This!! I always use underwear with shorts, the included netting really annoys. Current combinations of UnderArmour underwear and a choice of Brooks Sherpa, Patagonia Strider Pro and Salomon Agile 5 inch shorts.

I've always wear my normal underwear with shorts, but this is going to be the first summer than I've ran in before
I've been wearing trousers (thin ones)

Soldato
I’ve actually stopped wearing underwear recently. Find that it’s uncomfy with shorts with netting or if wearing compression tights.

Some guy at last nights run was discussing doing the guild wheel at an easy pace on Sunday. It’s 21miles so whilst part of me knows it’s a bit daft doing a run that long a week before the marathon part of me is considering it and just taking it very easy. Obviously there’s a risk of injury but I think there are a lot of mental benefits it would give.

Going to see how I feel tomorrow I think.

Soldato
I’ve actually stopped wearing underwear recently. Find that it’s uncomfy with shorts with netting or if wearing compression tights.

Some guy at last nights run was discussing doing the guild wheel at an easy pace on Sunday. It’s 21miles so whilst part of me knows it’s a bit daft doing a run that long a week before the marathon part of me is considering it and just taking it very easy. Obviously, there’s a risk of injury but I think there are a lot of mental benefits it would give.

Going to see how I feel tomorrow I think.

I never run with underwear on. I know my mother used to say make sure you have clean underwear on if you get knocked down by a bus, but I guess if I need the Emergency Services on a run, having no underwear on is the least of my worries!
I took advantage of the nice sunny evening last night and went for a run along the towpath only aiming for gentle easy 35min 5km, and ended up setting my 2nd fastest time of 28:01 minutes. I was raging about the 1 second over! :D

No more running for me until Sunday when I take part in my first 10km race around the Titanic Quarter here in Belfast.

HOME_MAIN_7_AERIAL.png

Granted it doesn't look that nice during the day!

Soldato
So this morning I did my longest run pre Brighton Marathon on the 14th of April, 22 miles and felt OK throughout the run, bloks, isotonic drinks throughout, friend of our (my twin brother is running the marathon with me) blew up at 18 miles just lost his legs, he admitted himself he hasn't put the miles in over the past few weeks/months and walked back to mine

We carried on for another 4 miles, going to keep the milage low now but continue with the same number of runs per week

I'm running for a charity if anyone fancy putting something in, if not its fine I'm way over my target I'm just going to enjoy the day!

Link is here I'm the one with the bandage on his head post brain tumour resection, hope that this is OK with the mods :)

Soldato
Great work, it's really encouraging when it feels good!

I've dropped mileage by about 15% this week, and did 15 easy miles this morning. Two weeks to go!
What distance are you planning to run? Half seem so easy now but I know what isn’t always the case, if I see anyone out running I give them a nod for respect as I know how bloody hard it can be

Soldato
I went and did the Titanic Quarter 10km this morning. The goal for this flat course was to try and improve it slightly (~1min) or so quicker on my existing 10km PB of 1 hour 4 minutes. Well, I smashed it with a 58:20 chip time!! :eek::D:cool: I don't know how I even managed to get 4 minutes off to break the 1-hour barrier let along another 90 seconds. The medal looks lovely with the strap holder being in the shape of the two H&W cranes that dominate the Belfast skyline.

Enjoy my ugly mug on the Strava photos.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2254114773

I've already got the next 10km booked, in 13 days time, though this is around Glen Arm Castle which is hillier than today's course so I'll not be aiming to improve my time and going for around the 60mins mark.

Soldato
Did 10miles this morning. That’s my last long run now. Had a route in my head but had to do a detour as was only looking like it was going to be 7miles. Was a lovely sunny cool morning though. Hope it’s like this next week.

My legs were still a bit tired from Thursday night and being at a gig last night and having a few pints didn’t help.

Caporegime
Lots of great running everyone! Enjoy the taper for those 2 weeks out from their marathon. Keep run frequency similar, just reduce volume. Keep some workouts, but massively reduce the difficulty (so a little slower but far lets distance per workout).

I have a good week last week, 90+ miles with a 11x800 workout and 22.2mile long run with 14 miles at goal pace around 6:30 mile. Felt good, a very hard run but no issues keeping to goal pace on the rolling terrain with tired legs. This next week should hopefully be similar and then I start an exponentially taper, so not a huge reduction 3 weeks ut but just enough to help recovery.

Associate
Is there a tracker for Manchester? I know several of you are doing it and I have a couple of mates in there as well. I can't get to the event and thought it might be fun to see where everyone is up to as I work through the DIY tasks :)

Soldato
By tracker what do you mean? Presumably it's not tracked live right?

I did get an email about a youtube stream though

https://www.greatermanchestermarath...broadcast-live/?dm_i=2QT2,UWSI,6FAVOY,37EQF,1

I'll be the one at the end doing a Run Fatboy RUn impression (hopefully you'll have seen the film to get that reference, only without the foul play)

Not something i've ever had before but the top of my left foot is a big sore after yesterdays run. Google seems to suggest some kind of tendonitis. Great!

Back
Top Bottom