Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Advice please.

Got a ten mile race on Sunday.. I completed my last 10 mile run yesterday (1.19) morning. Given I'm 51, it takes me a little longer to recover so I was wondering if I should attempt some smaller ones between now and Sunday or just leave it? I was thinking Tuesday and Thursday both 5miles each. Thoughts? My aim is to break 1.18.

Provided both runs feel easy and don't increase your weekly running mileage/frequency above normal I cant see a problem with this. Perhaps split the mileage a little more biased towards the start of the week eg 6 miles Tuesday, 4 miles Thursday to leave you extra refreshed for the race? And good luck!

Soldato
Advice, please.

Got a ten-mile race on Sunday... I completed my last 10 miles run yesterday (1.19) morning. Given I'm 51, it takes me a little longer to recover so I was wondering if I should attempt some smaller ones between now and Sunday or just leave it? I was thinking Tuesday and Thursday both 5miles each. Thoughts? My aim is to break a 1.18.

Best of luck on the race at the weekend!

Man of Honour
Provided both runs feel easy and don't increase your weekly running mileage/frequency above normal I cant see a problem with this. Perhaps split the mileage a little more biased towards the start of the week eg 6 miles Tuesday, 4 miles Thursday to leave you extra refreshed for the race? And good luck!

Ok that's a thought.. I was bang on target until just after Christmas when I irritated my hamstring so I lost 6 weeks so it's been a bit touch and go.

Thanks for that.

Associate
I am currently in week two of a two week 'rest period' due to knee pain on the inner front side of my knee (just to the side and slightly below the knee cap) I have been advised to use foam rollers (doing that daily - quads, hamstrings, IT Band, glues...), take anti-inflammatory pills, and rest... I am doing all of these things but currently still suffering; the pain actually isn't so bad when moving around (I have a young son, so complete rest is an impossibility...) but at the end of the day/start of the next it feels sore.

I am scheduled for a catch up with a medical professional, so this is not a 'diagnose me over the internet' post, just a general straw poll to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, and if there were any illuminating moments when you changed/tried something that led to an improvement.

Prior to this injury running was a perhaps a twice weekly thing, with a PT-led weights session at the weekend that included a healthy dose of legs (squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc) in each session.

I will be easing back into running very very slowly once recovered...

Soldato
What shorts do people recommend to prevent chafing or is it better to look at some boxers?
I know my mother always said wear a clean pair of underwear in case you get knocked down by a bus, but I don't wear any during running... Now isn't that a lovely mental image to share.

I've not had any issues with chaffing other than my last 10-mile run. Personally, I'd look out for running shorts with seams on the outside but that's about it. Maybe someone will able to recommend anti-chafing cream?

Associate
What shorts do people recommend to prevent chafing or is it better to look at some boxers?

I know my mother always said wear a clean pair of underwear in case you get knocked down by a bus, but I don't wear any during running... Now isn't that a lovely mental image to share.

I've not had any issues with chaffing other than my last 10-mile run. Personally, I'd look out for running shorts with seams on the outside but that's about it. Maybe someone will able to recommend anti-chafing cream?

I never use to wear any, got chaffing a few times on the longer runs, but now I have bought the Runderwear ones and didn't get anything even on the marathon.

Associate
Compression shorts (eg Skins) under a pair of cheapo shorts from Sports Direct. No chaffing issues for many years over all distances.

This is what I do. Cheapo Nike ones from the outlet near Hanley and then whatever sensibly priced shorts/shirts that they have in at the same time. Socks I generally wear Asics ones because I seem to get fewer blisters with them.

Soldato
I rarely wear boxers. Some of my shorts have an inner lining which does the job, and if not i'll wear compression shorts/tights depending on temperature.

I saw a physio about my ankle on Tuesday, he suspects it's linked to a tendon/muscle on the inner side of my calf which runs down the ankle and inner foot. He's given me various stretches and exercises to tackle. I ran home from there in around 9 min miles which was much faster than i expected.

Wednesday i went for a massage as i had an issue with my back (just put me down now!). Think it was caused by using the rower last week in the gym and being a little twisted watching a tv with football highlights on. Had hoped it would sort itself out but after a week figured it needed someone who knew what they were doing.

Went for a run last night. It's really dissappointing how much my stamina falls off a cliff if i don't run regularly. I did 3.5 miles and had to stop a few times as i was so out of breathe :(

Soldato
First event on Sunday =) Manchester half marathon. Never run the distance before but it shouldn't be out of my reach. Only issue with it is I have to set of at 530am to get there.

Man of Honour
Also someone had my number last night. Just as i entered the last half mile of my run, a car went past with 2 young lads in who shouted "Fat *******" at me!

Some people are just idiots, try not to let it bother you. When I lived in London I had someone stop their car while I was walking back from the shops once to shout "skinny legs" at me as if I'd somehow not noticed, still when someone shouts what they think is an insult at you for no reason at least you can have a fair degree of certainty that they've got nothing worth listening to anyway. Oddly enough this evening I had a couple of young girls (6-7) stop playing and clap at me as I ran past, I don't know if they thought I was taking part in an event or if they were just trying to be really supportive but that's quite an unusual response for Glasgow.

First event on Sunday =) Manchester half marathon. Never run the distance before but it shouldn't be out of my reach. Only issue with it is I have to set of at 530am to get there.

Good luck with the run.

Last edited:
Soldato
How often do you people get new shoes?

looking at the back of mine, they could do with replacing, to be honest
but I only run 2-3 times a week, nearly a year I've had mine now

A lot of manufactures will say 500-750km. I ran my first pair of Hokas to about 790km and had flush tread and worn through to the underside of it. This new pair, I'll probably think about keeping to 500km then pick up a new pair and use both for a while. I guess it really depends on what body weight you are, terrain, how many pairs you have, how often you run.

To answer those questions, I'm 63kg, usually, pavements with a few gravel paths occasionally, only the one pair and I do about 3 runs a week with an average of about 33km. This latest pair of Hokas I got on the 9th March and put 232km on them so far.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom