Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Underboss
Question time

When i used to ride my bike 50+ miles i would take food with me (usually simple like cereal bars/bananas etc) to eat whilst cycling
but what do you guys do when your running ? Do i even need eat during a run if i eat an hour before (like a small - medium packet of nuts) ?

thinking of perhaps in drink form would be best if i need to take whist running ?

Associate
Question time

When i used to ride my bike 50+ miles i would take food with me (usually simple like cereal bars/bananas etc) to eat whilst cycling
but what do you guys do when your running ? Do i even need eat during a run if i eat an hour before (like a small - medium packet of nuts) ?

thinking of perhaps in drink form would be best if i need to take whist running ?

On a normal day when rested you have approx enough glycogen in your mussels to run just shy of a marathon.

I will tend to take a gel or two on runs over two hours.

Soldato
I've done 18 mile runs fasted and 5 miles where I've been hungry!

I normally take bank card or cash with me if I'm going to be out a while so I've got options.

Yeah, i think that's always a good idea. Especially on longer runs when you want a drink. I have my card connected to my watch so it's great just being able to use that.

@ShiWarrior Yeah just rest mainly. Maybe some ibuprofen and regular stretching. Should go soon enough as long as it's nothing serious.

Soldato
briefly returning to shorts - Has anyone tried more mile brand shorts eg
https://moremile.co.uk/mens/clothin...-7-inch-mens-running-shorts-black-mm2953.html
I can't find any reviews on these, hopefully the material is not too thin ... to be used with underwear.

I have been using their London running sock for several years, which proved just as good as the Nike Elite, nike dryfit, x socks run one , at < half the price

Soldato
https://moremile.co.uk/mens/clothin...-7-inch-mens-running-shorts-black-mm2953.html
I can't find any reviews on these, hopefully the material is not too thin ... to be used with underwear.

I have been using their London running sock for several years, which proved just as good as the Nike Elite, nike dryfit, x socks run one , at < half the price

I bought a pair of those exact shorts recently and like them. I bought more mile runderwear at the same time and happy with that too.

Caporegime
Question time

No.need to eat anything on runs under 3 hours. If training for a marathon it is useful to take some gels on the long run, more for testing nutrition than anything. Racing a marathon will require gels as you don't have enough glycogen to last the full distance at race pace

Soldato

arrived - not impressed for £10 - so will return them. -... sorry @ daveski

review - More Mile running shorts
  • rear waist band is just a thick piece of elastic - that will last 5s in the wash and also soak sweat, so drawstring is just for front.
  • fragile pocket material will hole real quick , even though I put keys in a bag, and will bang against/irritate legs
  • main material delicate - with crutch abrasion it will wear through, compared to my 15years ageing Trek's
if they put decent picture on ebay/more mile site, I would probably have avoided.

47928565982_597370f087_o_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom