Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Looks like I'll be trying something different for next 2 weeks due to a temporary change of circumstances and running locally on the little 3km route I found.

I'll do it 5 times a week to get to the 15k average so will be interesting how my body reacts to shorter but more frequent runs. Also all asphalt and slightly more hilly so see how the body feels come weekend.

Soldato
Yeah I'm keeping the pace same as my 5k one basically.

How're you getting on with the extra regularity?

I've had 2 fairly low weeks for running at just under 20 miles each. The weather has been good so running has been put off for paddleboarding. I've also found since working from home that i'm really struggling to get up early to run. I set my alarm and then don't want to get up, even though that's the time i'd have been getting up for work if i was still in the office.

As such i've not really done any runs over 5 miles since i had that run coaching around 2 weeks ago and did around 8. I was going to go out for an 8 mile run this morning, but then woke up and remembered i'm back with the coach tomorrow and don't want to overly tire my legs so just going to do another easy 4-5 miles at dinner.

What i have noticed though is that i seem to be getting faster on these dinner time runs. My natural "easy" pace now seems to be closer to 8:55 from 9:15. It doesn't seem to have been gradual either, maybe it's just an improvement in running form?

Soldato
How're you getting on with the extra regularity?

Well, into second week now and by the third run had to bust out the CEP calf compression things again as lower legs are definitely taking a battering running on asphalt.

Nothing too major, but feeling the shin splints and calves more plus little tenderness in the knees and hips. Still taking it slow pace wise to let body keep adapting so been anywhere from 5:38 to 5:45 per KM.

It is good to just be able to walk out the house and run though from convenience point of view and there's few small inclines which I am able to tackle better now. Be interesting to see if I do any better on the old flat 5k once I do that some time later this month.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another coaching session this morning for me. I really need to prepare better for those, it was my 4th day in a row and whilst i've not pushed it the last few days, i've probably been a little faster than normal. It showed today!

Did 4 sets of 200m (Slow, Fast, Slow, Fast)

I'm definitely not used to putting in 90% effort over that distance and with not feeling great i could really feel it. Especially on the second fast rep on the 3rd set. By the end of the 4th set i pushed a bit harder because i knew it was nearly over. But christ at that point i was bent over and feeling light header. Definitely the sign you've been working hard.

We then chatted for a bit before she decided i should do a timed mile. That was tough and anyone who's done the Preston parkrun (in reverse this time) will know there's a few hills which are unpleasant, especially after a tough session. I came in at 8:12 which i was quite happy about. I made sure not to kill myself, but given tiredness and the hills i'll take it. It's quite a bit slower than my best mile, but those were under more favourable conditions.

Also have ordered new trainers, my New Balance have hit 280 miles but feel like the cushioning is going a little. Being heavy sucks!

Soldato
Also have ordered new trainers, my New Balance have hit 280 miles but feel like the cushioning is going a little. Being heavy sucks!

It does and frankly the only reason I still run because I don't enjoy it :D

Only slight exciting news is that I hit below 110kg for a very long time so just keep sticking at it.

I'll probably start wearing new trainers next month, North of 200 miles on the Brooks now and spring isn't quite there anymore.

Also decided to push myself on yesterday's run and gave it a 4/5 effort, came in at 5:24s a KM but feeling it in the shins today so backed off to easier pace again.

Soldato
I've had a look at the events. Some are definitely break worthy. Can tell that the organiser is ex military as lots of weight runs/circuit based stuff.

Second run in the new Asics today. They're definitely firmer than my New Balance and heavier. Hopefully that translates to durability and i get a decent distance out of them. Superb running weather out there today. Beautiful and sunny with a decent cooling wind.

Soldato
Had 2 days rest and some spare time today so threw in a first 10k run in about 3 weeks so I don't forget what it's like with my shorter runs :D

Yesterday was basically one big cheat as I was on the road most of the day and felt it today, started stitching up badly after 5k mark as my body clearly had way too much salt and sodium yesterday!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well back to maintenance mode now the bike 8 week block is finished.

Slight fear of putting in more run miles again :) Roll on next year for more races.

Really tempted to spalsh out on Ironman Cork now for 2021

Soldato
Not even exercise or shopping, not that anyone checks.

Weather looks brutal rain wise for next few days, think I'm actually going to get the winter gear out for a run today!

Back
Top Bottom