Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I'm only 10days out from my first Maraton now. Any tapering and nutrition tips from experienced marathoners?

Easing off my runs now. I did 5 miles last night at my marathon goal pace. At Parkrun on Saturday I'll do the same. Then Sunday I'm thinking of a slow 8miles. Then next week run 5miles Wednesday, and a really easy ParkRun the day before the Marathon.

Training has gone well, no injuries and running up to 22 miles without too much trouble.

I've been admiring your journey on Strava. Best of luck, hope to meet up at a local race soon. Same as D.P has said, it's all in the mind, keep your mind on the result and the miles will tick by.

Associate
Summer season finishing soon, just posting my latest times for context.
5K - 18.35 - Lakeside 5K (29-08-18)
Parkrun - 19.32 Bognor Regis
5 Mile - 31.44 Midsummer 5
10K - 39.50 Bognor
10 Mile - 69.48 Bognor
Half - 92.10 Surrey Half

Soldato
10K - 39.50 Bognor
10 Mile - 69.48 Bognor
Half - 92.10 Surrey Half

Nice one mate. How does that compare to the similar/same events last year? Where they all races?

My latest times for context.
5K - 32.26 30mins Z4 (30-07-18)
Parkrun - 33:04 Wallace Park, Lisburn, NI (26-05-18)
5 Mile - 59:56 80mins (35mins AT, 10mins walk, 35mins AT) (27-06-18)
10K - 1:13.27 75mins (20mins Z2 5mins Walk) (21-07-18)
10 Mile - 2:08.52 150mins (15mins AT, 15mins Walk) (23-06-18)

So, only one was actually at an event, the Park run. But given that I'm still a new runner (Oct 2017) I'm happy enough, despite those longer distances with some walking. My 10km started at 1:21.37 95mins (10mins Z2, 5mins walk) 02-07-18 and has gradually come down. Same with the 5km.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been admiring your journey on Strava. Best of luck, hope to meet up at a local race soon. Same as D.P has said, it's all in the mind, keep your mind on the result and the miles will tick by.

Thanks, Blast and DP.

That all makes sense and seems sensible. I just want to get on with it now! One thing I found difficult on the 20miler I did was not getting bored of my own thoughts, most my training runs have been with friends, or with music/podcasts to listen too, I had to keep looking around and thinking about stuff, "Oh look a crow" "Ohh that New Holland Combine harvester dealership looks interesting" stuff like that lol

I'll be at the Victory5 and Great South Run and Gosport Half, and Stubbington 10k so if you're at any of them I'll try and say hi. I want to run Sub70 at the GSR so that'll be my next target, should be fairly doable I've run 71 on a hilly route.

That sub19 at Lakeside is impressive, I've never done one of those as they tend to clash with our summer XC league races

Associate
Thanks, Blast and DP.

I'll be at the Victory5 and Great South Run and Gosport Half, and Stubbington 10k so if you're at any of them I'll try and say hi. I want to run Sub70 at the GSR so that'll be my next target, should be fairly doable I've run 71 on a hilly route.

That sub19 at Lakeside is impressive, I've never done one of those as they tend to clash with our summer XC league races
Not a fan of GSR and I'm reasonably determined to not race another 10K this year but I'm definately considering the Gosport half (two laps isn't it?); last one of my targets for the year. Lakeside was tough but I needed to know what I could do on a 5K, near passed out by the finish but was fine after 10 seconds - very very fast field of semi - elites and brilliant club runners has the effect of dragging you round.
Thinking about taking a second club for Havant and doing the hampshire winter XC league thingy.

Nice one mate. How does that compare to the similar/same events last year? Where they all races?

My latest times for context.
5K - 32.26 30mins Z4 (30-07-18)
Parkrun - 33:04 Wallace Park, Lisburn, NI (26-05-18)
5 Mile - 59:56 80mins (35mins AT, 10mins walk, 35mins AT) (27-06-18)
10K - 1:13.27 75mins (20mins Z2 5mins Walk) (21-07-18)
10 Mile - 2:08.52 150mins (15mins AT, 15mins Walk) (23-06-18)

So, only one was actually at an event, the Park run. But given that I'm still a new runner (Oct 2017) I'm happy enough, despite those longer distances with some walking. My 10km started at 1:21.37 95mins (10mins Z2, 5mins walk) 02-07-18 and has gradually come down. Same with the 5km.
All mine were at races and exceed my targets for the year except I wanted a sub 90 minute Half Marathon, still considering racing another.
You seem to be approaching this in a good manner, it's all about consistency and letting your body adapt and recover. Keep going you're doing great. If you're not already a member join the local run club and try to find some small local events. We have the West Sussex Fun Run League with a run every month for only £3 entry, great experience with some very quick finishers and some very happy walkers and everyone in between.

Associate
Not a fan of GSR and I'm reasonably determined to not race another 10K this year but I'm definately considering the Gosport half (two laps isn't it?); last one of my targets for the year. Lakeside was tough but I needed to know what I could do on a 5K, near passed out by the finish but was fine after 10 seconds - very very fast field of semi - elites and brilliant club runners has the effect of dragging you round.
Thinking about taking a second club for Havant and doing the hampshire winter XC league thingy.

A friend of mine running for Southampton AC, ran sub17 there. I signed up for the 5k in Bournemouth in 4 weeks time to attempt a fast 5k

I've not done any of the Hampshire XC league, I know they are ultra competitive. You get all the Semi-pro runners from clubs like Aldershot. Denmead Striders would be another option for you. Either would also get you into the Hampshire Road race league as well. http://www.hrrl.org.uk/default.htm Or if you go a little further West, Stubbington would also get you into the RR10 (summer XC) and CC6 (Winter XC) leagues.

Yeh Gospost is two laps with very few turns to slow you down, very flat as it's along the seafront, you just have the risk of bad weather.

I find with the GSR its ok if you can get up near the front and don't have to spend the first two miles working your way through all the other runners. I like the crowd and the atmosphere, but not the cost! I tend to go every other year, and need a fast 10mile race for our club championships.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
10K - 39.50 Bognor
10 Mile - 69.48 Bognor
Half - 92.10 Surrey Half

I was in Elmer a few weeks back.. I ran to Bognor and back a few a few times while I was there.. The tide goes out a fair way so I can beach run one way then via the Southdown pub on way back. :)

I've just put in this morning for Chelmsford 10K which I'm completing once a week in around 48 minutes.

Don
I've got my first half marathon down in the New Forest this weekend :) My training has been "ok" but not ideal, but I've got a fairly modest goal of < 2hours... I'll report back next week :D

Associate
Good luck! Have you run that course before? Some tips on the type of terrain would be helpful :D

Thanks you too.

I've done the 10k twice before. Its a mix of road and hard packed gravel tracks, and pretty flat. If it says dry you'll be fine in road shoes.

The video on here gives you a good idea of what its like https://www.newforestmarathon.co.uk/the-race/course-profile/

If you coming by car, go down the a326 to Dibden Perlieu, Then Beaulieu, then into Brockenhurst. If you go via Lyndhurst the traffic can back up a long way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to set a new 5km PB this morning. :D I wasn't meant to be even run that far as I'm just overcoming an injury. :(

Previous PB was 32:26 and I got it down to 30:50, but I pushed way to hard as I was getting tunnel vision and couldn't walk straight afterwards due to dizziness and being lightheaded. I think it will be a while yet before I'm running comfortably at that pace.

Associate
Managed to set a new 5km PB this morning. :D I wasn't meant to be even run that far as I'm just overcoming an injury. :(

Previous PB was 32:26 and I got it down to 30:50, but I pushed way to hard as I was getting tunnel vision and couldn't walk straight afterwards due to dizziness and being lightheaded. I think it will be a while yet before I'm running comfortably at that pace.

Well done, that's good going, keep it up and the times will keep coming down. My brother started running recently and went from 35 to25min 5km over about 10 weeks

Associate
Anyone have a recommended speed workout for half marathon training? Currently warm up, then 3 or 4 one mile z4 intervals, 3min easy inbetween, then cool down.

Yup Tempo intervals are good, You could do some longer ones like warmup>15min tempo>5min recovery>15min tempo>Cool down. You could use the McMillian Calculator to get an idea of training paces.

We do a thing call 321's at training where you run hard for 3mins, then active recovery for half of that time (90seconds), then a set a 2 mins (60 Second recovery) then a 1 min set (30sec recovery) then start again at 3min. Its a killer we run it for 35-40mins

Last edited:
Soldato
I took part in a 5km race organised by Citi here in Belfast yesterday and I was aiming to get close to my PB of 30:50. I thought that 50 seconds improvement over the course would be achievable, but I wouldn't be unhappy if I didn't meet the target. I felt that there was no point me busting myself and getting dizzy for just the sake of a number. Well... I ended up getting 27:16!! :eek::D Though to be fair I was nearly dead, but it shows you what a race can do for your motivation.

My data from the run. Yes that heart rate is real... I've never got it has high as 223 before but I was sprinting for the line at the end.

9Cus2Kf.png

Don
I completed the New Forest half today, 1hr 54mins. It was my first half and I'm happy with that time, the summer holidays and looking after the kids really ruined my training plan!

Trying to decide whether to book onto the GSR in a few weeks time... that is all tarmac and perfectly flat, great for achieving a PB :D

Back
Top Bottom