Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Permabanned
Fingers crossed, can't possibly cancel them all.

On another note, does anyone know of any shorts/leggings that have a thigh pocket suitable for phone storage?

Have a Ronhill pair that is no longer made and one Adidas pair too but looking for a third ideally and a pair or two of leggings would be useful too.

Use my phone to play music from and don't want it in a bum pocket, thigh pocket is generally more secure.

Soldato

On another note, does anyone know of any shorts/leggings that have a thigh pocket suitable for phone storage?

Have a Ronhill pair that is no longer made and one Adidas pair too but looking for a third ideally and a pair or two of leggings would be useful too.

Use my phone to play music from and don't want it in a bum pocket, thigh pocket is generally more secure.
I've found the Uniqlo sports shorts decent for runs, they have a zip thigh pocket. I just wear a leggings base layer under them if it's really cold

Soldato

UA Launch 7 or 9’s.

It’s not zipped but the right pocket has an “inner” pocket sleeve which holds a phone really well.

Associate
So, after much running to random music from Spotify I found "Run Faster With Coaching from Chrissie Wellington" which is a series of runs (from 20mins to an hour) that given you intervals/reminders on form, pace, etc - obviously entirely based on you following instructions and not tied to a smart watch, but I've found it a decent alternative to just music.

I wondered if there were any other similar tracks that others were aware of that I could use?

Permabanned
So, after much running to random music from Spotify I found "Run Faster With Coaching from Chrissie Wellington" which is a series of runs (from 20mins to an hour) that given you intervals/reminders on form, pace, etc - obviously entirely based on you following instructions and not tied to a smart watch, but I've found it a decent alternative to just music.

I wondered if there were any other similar tracks that others were aware of that I could use?

Never thought of listening to something like that myself but think I'll certainly give it a go and see what it's like. Sounds a great alternative to music. Cheers :)

Soldato
Anyone got an update on their watch yet?

None, to be fair I'm not too helpful as does look like a misprice on their part.

On a bright side, I never considered Instinct Solar and seems to basically have all the sensors and data I want from Fenix 6 which is far more expensive so may look at a deal in the future, CEX have them in for £140 in B grade.

hux

hux

Soldato
None, to be fair I'm not too helpful as does look like a misprice on their part.

On a bright side, I never considered Instinct Solar and seems to basically have all the sensors and data I want from Fenix 6 which is far more expensive so may look at a deal in the future, CEX have them in for £140 in B grade.

Shame, I was going to use it to it's full potential ;)

We'll see, if not least Garmin is announcing the new models at CES.

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
From HUKD it looks like some people have now received theirs. I've had no update at all though
Likewise, not a thing. I'm not that worried now people are getting theirs, so at least it's being honoured.
But yes I could do with it asap, I'm dying to see what a Garmin is like.

If this was an order from Aliexpress, I'd happily wait weeks
but because of the delays I want now dammit.

Guess this is why some are manic over on hukd.
I just want rid of my Huawei.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok. So it’s 2022 and since I asked about 2022 progress. Thought I’d get people talking about their 2022 goals.

Mine are
1500 miles
150000 ft of ascent
Finally run a 50 mile event

Less quantifiable but I’d also like to bring my “easy” pace down to around 8-8:30min miles. I’m hoping with a high volume consistency this should be do-able. Especially with intended weight loss.

Also would like to generally be more consistent. I always seem to have periods where my volume drops a lot and then it takes a while to recover from that.

Had a fell race yesterday and was fairly happy. Came in at 1:20:11. The race was just over 7 miles and ~1500ft ascent on some tricky terrain. I had been aiming for 1:24 to keep a 12 min pace so to come under tag at was good and I think I could’ve come in quicker too had I known the course as I held off in places.

Soldato
What happens, happens with Instinct deal but back to looking at Fenix 6 models on CEX. What is the difference between different models, seems to be a £100 between regular and Pro model.

hux

hux

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom