Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
No, i've considered it a few times, but ultimately i think it'd get insanely boring just running down the canal for that kind of distance. There's also the benefit it's my stepdaughters 21st on the Sunday and so i'm not sure i should miss that :p

Last week though, i did plot a route to run the Lancaster canal. It starts in Kendal and runs down as far as Preston. That makes it ~55 miles and then it's around 5 miles from the terminus to my house.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2952538016850196602

It's madness to think you can run 60 miles and only hit 400ft of ascent since it was built with absolutely no locks.

My current plan is

14th May - Howgills Marathon https://lakeland100.com/howgillstrail/
25th June - Lakeland 5 Passes https://www.ascendevents.co.uk/lakeland-five-passes-ultra/
End of July - Bob Graham Round
End of August - Above Lancaster Canal Run
8th October - 3 Towers Ultra https://www.toughtrails.co.uk/coming-in-2021e42c6543

Soldato
Anyone got Reebok Energy X, Pegasus 39, Adidas Prime X, Endorphin Speed 2?

Looking at YouTube review the Reebok are not coming out to bad for the price to performance. However I had enough of my Adidas Boston 10 the fit hurts my feet. So I went back to Pegasus 37 I forgot how good they are make miles go by easy and seem to always push me faster.

Just looking at adding a new pair in the mix and think I'm siding with the Reebok will be my first Reebok owned running shoes.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well did my first ultra on Saturday, bit of a mixed bag was 2nd for a good while, but came 20th as repeated moorland walking made for a very sore ankle, had to walk the last 10k.
Plus I was given an old gpx file, which took me all over the place.
Stomach went a bit inside out towards the end, but I think I've figured out a snack that'll fix that issue.
Altra mont blancs did great, but as suspected I really needed more cushion towards the end, as I was very sore on the last bit, but still doable.
I think it took me something like 8h30m, but most of it was through hilly woodland, or rutted moorland.
The gpx file was the old route, so instead of 37 miles i did something like over 40, as numpty forgot to hit record as I was so focused on navigation.
Overall I think I did well, could and should have done better, but seeing as it's my first I can't grumble and I did enjoy it.

hux

hux

Soldato
Awesome stuff. That's a superb time for 40 miles especially if you ended up walking the last 6!
Yeah definitely Altra Olympus 4 for the next one, I think it's rock to boscastle for the next one, there's a steep gully just down from port isaac that I know a lot will struggle with.
25.5 miles for that one.
I'll be wiping what gpx files I have, and will ask for one closer to the time, but seeing it's coast I doubt I'd need one.
Elevation was around 1300m, should have done a lot better, but like most have said least I finished it with few issues.

Soldato
Ah that's less elevation than i'd have thought for the distance. Probably quite nicely runnable for the most part.

The Hoka Speedgoat 5's are meant to be very good, and obviously with them being Hokas they'll be well cushioned. Obviously not ideal if you favour zero drop though.

hux

hux

Soldato
Yeah the elevation wasn't what got me, it was the endless miles of moorland that wanted to twist my ankles that got me in the end.
I have the speedgoat 4 already, love them but the Olympus 4 feels quicker and more solid.
I might have done more climbing, seeing as I didn't have the revised route, but numpty forgot to record the run.

Here a link to my post on fb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just signed up for my first marathon - Valencia, in December. I'm pretty comfortable doing long runs (20k or so) at reasonable speeds (around 5 minutes per km), so want to aim to work up to pushing for a 3:30 marathon. Does anyone have a decent training plan they can point me towards?

I realise that I'm still pretty far out from it (7 months today!), so my plan is to do a couple of months keeping the running ticking over but focussing on core, legs and mobility at the gym to reduce injury risk, before jumping into a training plan properly about 4 months out.

Soldato
Someone else on here suggested Ben Parkes who has various plans available pretty cheap (As in £6 cheap)

I'd probably try and spend the next few months upping distance too, get to the point you're happy running 20-25 mile long runs, then when you start training properly you're already at that distance and can hone in working on timings more knowing you're capable of the distance rather than ticking over as you are now and then focusing on ramping up distance and speed in proper training. That way you can probably go for a higher level training plan :)

hux

hux

Soldato
Well this weekend has been good, did the portreath to devoran c2c copper trail run, but there's bugger all copper as it's a tin mining area duurr.
Anyway ran hard, ran fast and so I should as I lived near there for most of me life.

Came 11th with a time of 1.31.29 odd, and avg 4.56km.
Guy who was just in front, said after you're some strong runner, I tried everything and could I shake you :D
I enjoyed the first half, as everyone shot off, but I knew it was downhill after the halfway point so held back for most of it.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/BUQSA9l5Rpb

Soldato
Someone else on here suggested Ben Parkes who has various plans available pretty cheap (As in £6 cheap)

I'd probably try and spend the next few months upping distance too, get to the point you're happy running 20-25 mile long runs, then when you start training properly you're already at that distance and can hone in working on timings more knowing you're capable of the distance rather than ticking over as you are now and then focusing on ramping up distance and speed in proper training. That way you can probably go for a higher level training plan :)
Cheers! Some of my running club pals, who I was definitely faster than 6 months ago, have all done Barcelona in sub 3.30 (some in much less than that) so with some decent training I'm feeling reasonably confident

Soldato
Hmmm, have come into the office and was supposed to join up with the local running club tonight as it's their 5th birthday of being a social club.

Big issue is that my watch battery is currently on 4%. Have put it into low battery mode so fingers crossed, but Is it even worth running if it doesn't end up on Strava!

Associate
Was going to go out tonight for the first time in ages, but my wife booked an anniversary meal for us, so it will have to be Saturday now I guess!

How do you get your watch to 4%?? I always charge mine when it is around 20% or so (I also have the lead for it in my bag of stuff ) I thought you have the solar version? does that stand any chance of getting some charge in it?

Soldato
I moved my charger which is the big issue. It's usually on my desk at home and so i charge it when it gets to ~20%. However i moved it downstairs the other week to get a short charge in after work. I then keep forgetting to charge it. Yesterday i saw it was at 10% before a run and i intended to do it post run which i forgot to do.

This morning i then saw it was 4%, intended to grab my charger and bring it to work and then got half way here and realised i'd forgot.

Basically, by being a massively useless forgetful idiot :(

Sadly, no solar version here. Was too expensive at the time.

Soldato
Hmmm, have come into the office and was supposed to join up with the local running club tonight as it's their 5th birthday of being a social club.

Big issue is that my watch battery is currently on 4%. Have put it into low battery mode so fingers crossed, but Is it even worth running if it doesn't end up on Strava!
Can you go old school and bring your phone in your pocket? Not much fun, but at least you won't miss out on the Strava goodness!

Back
Top Bottom