Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
One thing I've noticed looking at evolabs, is how my training seems to come on in spurts, rather than being linear.
It's like every 2-3 months I get a bump in performance, and it seems to be tangible, as I do feel a bit quicker.
Odd how the body works.....

I have a 28 or so mile run in the next few weeks, and I'm currently averaging 4.50 when training, but splits show me so close to 4.35.
So I'm really hoping in the next 2-3 weeks I can make it happen.
It's a mixed run, mostly road so got some new balance fresh foam x V2 coming, as they're trail shoes with vibram soles, but no deep lugs so better suited to this, it would wear out the speedgoat 4's in no time otherwise.

Be interested to head how you get on with those new shoes. I really liked the 1080 v10's i had but they just didn't last long enough for me.

Got a bit of a dilemma for the OCUK running lot :p

I'm about to book on a 100 mile run on the 1st July. It's not massively hilly with around 11000ft of ascent over the course which isn't too bad. That's pretty much a definite. I would've liked to do the Lakeland 100 but won't qualify. There is a Snowdonia 100 which is a lot hillier and would certainly be more of a challenge, but i quite like the idea of ambling along the Welsh coast.

Anyway the dilemma, as i've posted many times i'm pretty slow. One of my goals is to run a sub 4hr marathon. I don't think i'm too far from that. There are also plenty marathons in March/April which would fit in with the above. However i would also like to tackle the run in Spain i failed at earlier this year. It's the 10th anniversary of it so should be a good event.

Both events would be good training for the 100. The marathon would get me used to running for a continuous amount of time. Because i walk hills on trails i find my legs struggle running for 15 miles straight. They certainly did on my recent 50 miler on the flat sections. It would also suit winter training better since i could hammer road/low level trails.
The Spain run would also be good training, because hitting 13000ft over 47 miles absolutely broke my legs last time and they felt good and strong in the run up to it. The main issues are the need to be getting good amount of climbing in before hand which means trips to the Lake District in December/January/February which is a horrendous experience as i found last winter!

Basically i want to do both events and even though the Spain run will likely be mid March and the Blackpool marathon being late April, i think i'd have to prioritise hill/speed in the training for each and not sure i could manage both!

Soldato
Oh and also i've just been out for 4 miles and between mile 2 and 3 i felt like i was going to collapse. It's happened a few times recently where it's as if my blood pressure drops and i get a bit nauseous and weak. Absolutely no idea as to the cause though.

Shows how bad it’s been. I’ve only managed 39 miles so far this month!

hux

hux

Soldato
Could be low blood sugar, I need to eat some sugar right before and during the first 2-3 miles or my eyesight plays up from diabetes.
I always keep a jelly block on hand just in case, once I've gone past this and warmed up then I'm good for rest of the run.

Could also be low bp like you say, low salt is another possible cause of this.

Soldato
Yeah. Just seems unusual. Certainly not something I’ve had before and yesterday I’d eaten dinner of toast and PB (lazy option I know!) and 2 ice creams in the 3 hours before I went for the run and was well hydrated so nothing which should’ve caused issues.

Think I just need to make a diary of times I don’t feel right and try and spot a pattern.

Soldato
So annoying when Runners Need don't stock the trainers i want!

I'm after some new "holiday" trainers. Ideally a trail to road type shoe but without being hideous and garish, which look ok with jeans walking around cities whilst also being capable of a few runs. Particularly in Spain i fancy tackling the last 10 miles of rocky trail which i missed out on in March so i know what to expect there.

Everything on Runners Need is god damn ugly. Yet Sportsshoes have so much choice. Annoying i get such a good discount at RN!

Associate
Oh and also i've just been out for 4 miles and between mile 2 and 3 i felt like i was going to collapse. It's happened a few times recently where it's as if my blood pressure drops and i get a bit nauseous and weak. Absolutely no idea as to the cause though.

Shows how bad it’s been. I’ve only managed 39 miles so far this month!
I had exactly that a few times. Hr drops almost to resting, and you feel like you are about to fall over! I think it was similar to this description https://www.livestrong.com/article/377821-a-drop-in-heart-rate-during-exercise/

hux

hux

Soldato
So annoying when Runners Need don't stock the trainers i want!

I'm after some new "holiday" trainers. Ideally a trail to road type shoe but without being hideous and garish, which look ok with jeans walking around cities whilst also being capable of a few runs. Particularly in Spain i fancy tackling the last 10 miles of rocky trail which i missed out on in March so i know what to expect there.

Everything on Runners Need is god damn ugly. Yet Sportsshoes have so much choice. Annoying i get such a good discount at RN!
Asics novablast 3, best all round trainer out there atm.
Got a pair on order after stellar reviews

Man of Honour
What apps are people using for standalone Apple Watch? I started using a 5k type app but I don't like the stats it records. I Strava worth it? I'm after guided workouts.

Man of Honour
I’m going to try the Nike app, it’s has guided ones on it. The Apple one is good for tracking but I think you have to work your own out.

Soldato
Yikes, hoping this firmly gives me the boot up the arse i require!

niRhinK.png

Watched this on Youtube, it sealed the decision in my mind. The scenery looks fantastic, and it's nice to have a runnable course rather than constantly battling hills.

Soldato
I would say foolish over either of those :p

I guess it's a fairly natural progression from doing the 50 last month. I do need to re-find motivation though. I seem to have drank too much for the last couple months, especially at weekends which has had a big impact on my weekly long runs, so my strava is just full of 4-5 mile runs.

I'm meant to have a 53 miler in the start of October, but given i'm in Spain for a few weeks in September i might look to drop down to the 35 mile version just to make it less miserable. Especially since there's a decent amount of elevation and potentially a lot of rain!

Soldato
Getting sent to Dublin for some conference, got the invite and immediately started looking on Strava for local runs from the hotel, i quite fancied getting over to the lighthouse, but it seems that's an 11 mile run from the hotel. That might be a little much!

The days are full on too from 9am to about 10pm by the time there's an evening meal/networking. Going to be knackered!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yikes, hoping this firmly gives me the boot up the arse i require!

niRhinK.png

Watched this on Youtube, it sealed the decision in my mind. The scenery looks fantastic, and it's nice to have a runnable course rather than constantly battling hills.

Nice! Beautiful part of the world.

Was just gonna say, Lakeland 50 & 100 ballot is open today if you're up for it, but if you don't want to battle hills maybe not.

I've put in for the 100 assuming I may not get a spot but I'm up for it regardless. I still need to learn to run mind you, instead of just going and doing it... I know absolutely nothing still, but just bloody minded when it comes to endurance. If I don't get a spot I'll maybe find something between 50 & 100 to enter instead.

Soldato
Yeah, i'm gonna put in for the 50 i think. 3.5 weeks is enough recovery....right? It's not that i mind hills, i've done various runs on hillier terrain than the Lakelands, just didn't want my first 100 to be like that and i quite liked the idea of just plodding along for the most part and enjoying the scenery.

There's the Pennine Ultra which goes from Kenal, over the dales and finishes around Ilkley i think which could be a good distance.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well what is probably my last big event of the year is Saturday, 28 mile Padstow to Fowey on the saints way trail.
Sorted my it band issue, just need to keep stretching and such to keep any issues away, as I did a 42k run on Monday and all was fine.

Back
Top Bottom