Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Sounds a bit more like a wishlist than any real fact. 36CU = 2304 shaders which would mean cut down R9 290/390. Assuming that, then the memory bandwidth seems like it would be quite limiting (290 has 320GB/s, 390 has 384GB/s both using 512bit bus vs PS4's 256-Bit).

As for Jaguar cores, surely it would be the successor "Puma"/"Puma+", which still haven't necessarily been clocked higher than 2.0Ghz in "normal" laptop/desktop application, let alone when sitting next to a huge heat generating GPU.

Soldato
With them specs it seems they would have to use a separate CPU/GPU set up rather than the current single chip design ?

It does all seem a bit of guess work tbh. It will be interesting when it's announced. Offering improved versions of the same games seems a bad idea if you ask me.

Soldato
Sounds like a complete waste of time (if genuine). Marginal improvements at best and you're ultimately still relying on the developer to make use of that extra power.

I'd sooner buy a new PC GPU than this thing.

Caporegime
Silly decision by Sony. Either do it properly and make a PS5 that is fully backwards compatible with the PS4 or GTFO. While no-one is 'forcing' people to upgrade to a PS4.5, anyone with the cash who wants the best performance will likely do so anyway. This will cause dissention within the user base.

Don
It does all seem a bit of guess work tbh. It will be interesting when it's announced. Offering improved versions of the same games seems a bad idea if you ask me.

Personally think it is lose/lose for users and even developers. I can't see developers spending time optimising properly for both "profiles". Either they will optimise for the standard PS4, to ensure it works decently across a wider market, or they are going to push the boundary and optimise it for the "Neo", which essentially will lead to market fragmentation.

Multi player games will be interesting, as I would hope they would all have to run under a standard profile (as mixing framerates will cause issues, and different visual qualities can have their own advantages/disadvantages e.g. poor example, but "upgraded" smoke and lighting effects may make it harder to see other players in an FPS).

Until there is an official press release then everything is just speculation - for all we know a leak could be intentional to force a reaction from Microsoft.

Caporegime
OP
Well considering what CoD devs have said in the past I expect they will stick with the lowest spec system and build it on that, it would be unfair for people on higher spec systems to have more effects/upgraded stuff that others wouldn't see there by giving the people on lower specs an advantage.

Associate
Silly decision by Sony. Either do it properly and make a PS5 that is fully backwards compatible with the PS4 or GTFO. While no-one is 'forcing' people to upgrade to a PS4.5, anyone with the cash who wants the best performance will likely do so anyway. This will cause dissention within the user base.

Upgrade is an upgrade, simple as that. I really don't care if there's PS5 or PS 4.5 on the box when buying one, what I would appreciate is more power ;)

Caporegime
Still dont understand why this model needs to exist - who really benefits? Id rather have shorter generation cycles that allow an average developer to release 2 games while have full backwards compatibility than this...

Forwards compatibility sounds like some great idea but it really isnt as you end up having to make games based on the market which will always be skewed to the lowest performance specced model - forever cross gen...
Personally think it is lose/lose for users and even developers. I can't see developers spending time optimising properly for both "profiles". Either they will optimise for the standard PS4, to ensure it works decently across a wider market, or they are going to push the boundary and optimise it for the "Neo", which essentially will lead to market fragmentation.

Multi player games will be interesting, as I would hope they would all have to run under a standard profile (as mixing framerates will cause issues, and different visual qualities can have their own advantages/disadvantages e.g. poor example, but "upgraded" smoke and lighting effects may make it harder to see other players in an FPS).

Until there is an official press release then everything is just speculation - for all we know a leak could be intentional to force a reaction from Microsoft.
Agreed, if Neo users get frame rate improvements so play 60fps to the normal 30fps - competitive MP will be an interesting thing...

EDIT: If the specs are true than that CPU bump is pretty unimpressive compared to the GPU one - shouldnt be overlooked how weak that improvement is

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
The only reason there doing this is for 4K blu-ray/4K streaming/tv which makes sense for them as that will be getting pushed more and more as the year goes on:)

The extra grunt from the GPU is needed imo both consoles where released underpowered compared to the last generation.

At the end of the day people will buy it and sony know this:)

Don
I liken the upgrade to when i bought a ps3 slim to replace my original fat, only this time round moar powah.

Don't see the issue, personally.

The potential issue is that the two different specs don't get treated equally and the market gets fragmented.

e.g. The next COD likely targets the standard PS4 and receives a half baked poor "Neo" update - therefore not really showcasing the platform, and other developers follow suit.

Either that or developers spend more time optimising for the "Neo" version, standard PS4 version ends up being terrible, and a huge portion of the existing player base get alienated.

Given the amount of problems with existing console games that then receive patches later to address frame rate issues etc, all this does is make the problem twice as bad, and potentially doubles the developers workload, in testing and fixing issues to ensure optimised experiences on both platforms (assuming they actually bother to)

Soldato
PC games have run across an almost infinite spectrum of potential hardware configurations for years and it has worked fine (for the most part).

The PS4 architecture is x86 too, so it's not going to be a catastrophe I don't think. Having two specific graphics options in a game engine won't require any large scale increase in development time, if at all. Lots of Engines are developed to run on both PC's and consoles, so are capable of altering texture resolutions/effects/lighting/etc right out of the box.

Playstation exclusive engines (e.g. NaughtyDog) might need some tweeking to be more flexible graphically, but it's not a brand new science for developers.

If PS4K turns out to be real, it will be interesting to see if this has any effect on future platform sales at launch. Will some people hold off buying a PS5 upfront and wait for the inevitable hardware upgrade? Maybe. But then most people don't do this with phones, and they know a new version will be out in ~24 months so it's hard to tell

Caporegime
Sounds like something Apple do. A year later than can bring out another with a minor speed bump and call it the pro. PS4 resale value is about to take a kicking.

I suppose it easier than both companies admitting they released too soon. This won't work, it never has before.

Associate
I don't think these specs aren't high enough for true 4K gaming. They will probably just upscale to 4K from 1080P, even 1440p will be challenging task @ 60fps.

Soldato
I don't think these specs aren't high enough for true 4K gaming. They will probably just upscale to 4K from 1080P, even 1440p will be challenging task @ 60fps.

It wont be true 4K gaming if at all it will probably just have the ability to scale to games to 4k like the latest 4K blu-ray players just released they can upscale std 1080p blu-rays to 4k :)

Its funny how there is no sony standalone 4K blu ray player due out ;)

Soldato
The real driver for this I suspect is PSVR. That developers will have an enhanced profile to target that can prolong the life of the PS4 without the crazy R&D costs of a complete new system is just a bonus.

A lot of AAA development involves using very high quality (poly/texture size) assets that are scaled down automatically as part of the content pipeline so having an additional higher quality option to target won't be a major problem for well organised developers.

Back
Top Bottom