PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
I think it's do with how the way games are coded on console. Because there are lots of specific optimisations, if the console suddenly starts executing things faster, it can break timings or something. It must have been trawling through pages of gaming news that I've read this. Whether it's 100% accurate is another matter. :p

It all depends how the game is programmed. Consoles will usually target a fixed framerate, because the hardware is constant and the framerate is constant, you just concentrate on wringing every last bit of performance out of the milliseconds you have available.

As the PS4 Pro has a proportionally faster GPU than CPU, games that were targetted at just the PS4 won't just automatically scale up on the PS4 Pro.

Going forward you'll see more developers targetting the base and Pro systems more effectively.

Associate
Will there actually be improvements to the textures of my existing games or is it only a 4K resolution bump? If so I'll give it a miss if it's only the resolution.

If it makes my Witcher 3 look prettier I'll buy it haha

Soldato
Will there actually be improvements to the textures of my existing games or is it only a 4K resolution bump? If so I'll give it a miss if it's only the resolution.

Most older games wont be updated.

CDPR have already said The Witcher 3 will definitely *not* be updated.

And in terms of improvements to textures, I dont expect to see a whole lot of that. Some games might go for it, but any texture improvements will probably be minor given that vRAM isn't something the PS4 suffers from all that much.

Soldato

Both, depending on game if made for the PS4 Pro in mind like Horizon Zero Dawn.

CD Projekt RED already confirmed they wont be making Witcher 3 enhancements for PS4 Pro.

Soldato
Wow.

Might have something to do with the ability to have the 4k resolution downsampled in order to look better on your 1080p screen?

Or, guess what, it might look better on a 4k screen at native resolution...

Fair. Just saying it still looks graphically unimpressive no matter the resolution

Last edited:
Soldato
Both, depending on game if made for the PS4 Pro in mind like Horizon Zero Dawn.

CD Projekt RED already confirmed they wont be making Witcher 3 enhancements for PS4 Pro.

Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't use any higher res textures, They made a point of saying it was the same assets on the Pro.

Soldato
I am a bit concerned about how much extra the pro will get. Beyond Tomb Raider I am not seeing much information about what great stuff other games will get rather than what they might get.

Seems like an unknown quantity at the moment. I don't think Sony is doing a good job marketing the pro.

Caporegime
OP
Considering DF said Infinite Warfare on Pro had frame rate issues too and they were the same as on normal PS4 but were more jarring id be concerned about everything to do with the Pro at this stage, smart money for me is wait and see what devs actually do with it before dumping up cash.

Back
Top Bottom