PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
This whole re-projection malarky, can I have that on my telly as well please?
It doesn't really make sense for television or even traditional 2d gaming.

The point of it is to predict head tracking movement in order to smooth out the transition from one frame to another with minimal latency. This is important in VR because presence(the feeling like you're actually there) requires extremely low latency and fast framerates. When you look around in VR, you need things to feel as natural as possible, cuz your brain will notice little performance or latency slowdown/inconsistency and will quickly remind you that you're not experiencing 'reality'. One of the big tricks of VR is to overcome that and convince your brain that you are experiencing 'reality' while looking around in a virtual world.

This isn't really important at all watching or playing on TV because presence is not the aim. And you are sitting at a distance from the screen, which is in a fixed location.

If you just want the kind of framerate-doubling sort of effect, TV's already have that - motion interpolation. It's a similar concept. I think it looks horrid personally, especially with content that was built for 24fps playback(movies in particular), but some people like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if there is a massive shortage of these?
Pretty sure I heard that if you pre-order one today, you wont get it til early December. There will be some retail presence, but I expect that will be fairly limited stock and will go quickly as it'll be the quickest way to get it for people who haven't pre-ordered quite early.

Caporegime
When today does the embargo lift? Kinda hovering over the cancel button, for me it feels like a frivolous purchase for now, only DC VR and probably RIGS really have me interested and thats just not enough to spend £300...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
When today does the embargo lift? Kinda hovering over the cancel button, for me it feels like a frivolous purchase for now, only DC VR and probably RIGS really have me interested and thats just not enough to spend £300...

Sometime today, apparently.

And yea, I dont think the launch lineup is super great. But Dreams, Gran Turismo and Resident Evil 7 within the next 6 months(hopefully) will definitely change things. I'll definitely be considering one.

Soldato

I cancelled mine a couple days ago. The Pro forced my hand. Had it on pre-order since march but I feel I just won't make the most of the headset. It's a bit of a luxury item that I can't justify really...

Only new tech syndrome made me keep the order.

Will see what the Pro brings to the VR table and then wait for a price drop.

Associate
I've been talking myself into getting one on pre order today, and i've had a chat, well online chat with a assistant from the, you know i don't want to say the retailer name it's the big rain forest in south america :) they said they do have the stock if i wanted to pre order the VR head set this is what he said "Yes, we've the item in stock and you'll receive it on the release date."
What made me even ask and get more information is when i goto place order i get "Order now and we'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item" above the head set vr item.
Well if the VR doesn't turn up least i could have a come back about it, maybe get a refund on something maybe possible ?

Soldato
No HDR pass through which seems a strange decision if true.

With PlayStation VR's October 13 release soon upon us, Sony has issued guidance on how PSVR will work with HDR. In short, the PlayStation VR processor unit doesn't support HDR passthrough, so you'll have to unplug the PSVR and plug your PS4 directly into the display if you want to play games or watch content in HDR.

Clicky

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to getting one of these, hopefully next week I'm delivery date is right. I wasn't overly excited originally but after playing it at EGX that changed quickly. Really good experience and really impressed.

Soldato
I've been talking myself into getting one on pre order today, and i've had a chat, well online chat with a assistant from the, you know i don't want to say the retailer name it's the big rain forest in south america :) they said they do have the stock if i wanted to pre order the VR head set this is what he said "Yes, we've the item in stock and you'll receive it on the release date."
What made me even ask and get more information is when i goto place order i get "Order now and we'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item" above the head set vr item.
Well if the VR doesn't turn up least i could have a come back about it, maybe get a refund on something maybe possible ?

Because of that i might cancel my pre order then.

I did originally want it, but I have a kid due in January so wont get the use out of it and can't really justify spending that kind of cash on it.

Caporegime
The thing is I'm very much pro-VR, and PSVR is a great entry level mass consumer product, but for me I feel like I either want to jump in at high end with room scale and the expensive PC soon or just bide my time and wait for complementary technologies like foveated rendering to establish themselves. It's hard not to wait as the PC market itself is going through some interesting changes too...

Biggest problem is that VR seems to lend itself to experiences but I'm still not 100% convinced that means games in the traditional manner.

Soldato
I'm convinced VR won't replace my favourite games like Forza Horizon 3, but I am convinced that it's worth £350 just for Resident Evil 7.

As for me, I can't wait for most of the day one releases, so an expensive month!

I'll never get it for the PC, I want it in my living room. I want to comeback from the pub with my mates and send them to the bottom of the Ocean to meet a Great White shark.

Associate
Looks like it just scrapped through for a low level entry experience, a gen to early i think.

Strange comment as the above review suggests it is far from that.

"Beyond it’s design merit, Batman: Arkham VR stands out as a stunning example of what a talented developed can do with VR on the PS4. The game is up there among the best looking real-time VR experiences I’ve seen on any platform, VR or otherwise.

Soldato
I have the PS4 Pro, VR and the new v2 Cam being delivered next week.

From the reviews I have read, this is going to be awesome.

I have the Dk2 and opted for this rather than the Vive or Oculus as my living room is perfect for the space.

My PC is upstairs and the room is too small to enjoy room scale so this swayed my decision.

Back
Top Bottom