Please help spec me a £4k gaming rig

Soldato
lol, Curlyriff I do need a babysitter for when the wife goes in to have the baby, my pc will be at the mercy of the kids and the two younger ones are totally nuts That's my main worry to be honest. The wife will get over the pain but what happens if the kids get hold of my pc

Haha, sorted. Yeah the loss of a PC is the most pain any person or collective of people can feel :p

Eventually I'll be building the pc into those units. The upper cupboard will meet the lower TV bench and the pc will 'be' that cupboard if you get my drift. Glass fronted and all water cooled inside. But that will be the pc that follows this one.

I can't see the picture cause I am at work and it blocks all file sharing/hosting. But that makes sense from the description and I think I at least get your drift. If you need need a hand with the build on your next system let me know :).

I have built/designed custom AV racks/units previous so would be something different. I always like the desk builds people do. You can put a long bank of RAD's at the back with push/pull. A bank of D5's would be awesome also. Perspex tops, built in mouse mat, Triple monitor mount with hydraulic lift for height adjustment etc.

There is so much flexibility.

And learner system lol, I need a new job clearly. Architecture/Engineering does not pay enough!!

I gave him a set of Sharkoon Extatic headphones the other week and told him to be careful with them. A week later they were ruined because he chewed through the lead. He's got some odd habits I reckon he was a dog in a past life.

Haha, yeah a locked case without any external buttons and wireless mouse/keyboard sound like a good option ;)

Associate
OP
Curlyriff, I'd be very grateful for your assistance in building the next pc, in fact I know I'll be needing you as it's going to be too much to get my head around. Just thinking about it is confusing enough. Thanks mate ;)

tbyeah, that is some system there, a monster.

I've been talking to ocuk again and my new system is sorted guys, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. The only thing I need to sort out now is a fan controller for the Corsair 540 case. I already have a blu ray drive in there so I'm limited to just a single bay unit. Is there anything I should steer clear of ?

Associate
OP
lol, I'm still finalising the specs right now, pretty much all sorted but I'm just getting the last items figured out, like the fan controller and replacement fans etc.
I'll defo get the specs up as soon as I get the pro former or whatever they call it :)

Soldato
Papablu, you need to check out the latest MSI board coming out.

Z97 SLI Krait Edition. It is a stunning black & white board. Would be something really different. No idea on spec/performance but aesthetically would be cool.

Associate
OP
Yep, it is technically order confirmation if you pay for it now. Pro-forma if its pre-pay spec list to be signed off first for instance.

Although, false pre-tenses

Haha.

Hehe, yeah but it's my fault, I keep changing things. I'm pretty certain it's all done now.

• - Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Cube Case - Black this time
  • - CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Devil's Canyon Haswell (Socket 1150) Quad Core, Eight Thread Processor, Watercooled and Overclocked to at least 4.7GHz
  • - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97
  • - RAM: Avexis Blitz 2400mhz 16GB
  • - Graphics: 3 x AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X 4096MB Graphics Cards in triple Crossfire & Watercooled
  • - Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop, Mayhems White Pastel Fluid and white tubing
  • - Primary Drive: Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB Solid State Drive
  • - Secondary Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA-III Hard Drive
  • - Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray BDRW Retail
  • - Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • - Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Platinum Rated 1200W Silent Power Supply
  • - Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon
  • - Replacement Fan for rear outlet: Alpenföhn Plus Wing Boost PWM Fan Red Clover Edition - 140mm

Obviously all the watercooling parts which come to a considerable amount with the same setup as the Tesseract had including the same reservoir and pump and rads.

My only real issue now is whether I get them to watercool that motherboard as the Asus has that built in. Opinions guys ?

Plus, the power supply, do you think that 1200w is enough for this setup, bearing in mind that I doubt I'll overclock those cards as it's simply not needed ?

@ William-Mathew, yes buddy, that's the system that tbyeah linked to but thanks anyway ;)

Soldato
But the Titan Z for gaming are not the way to go. At least once you get to 1440p or 4k. A Titan Z dips below that of the 295 X2.

3 way Crossfire would out perform the titan z due to the clock speeds especially as they are being watercooled.

Unless you drop the extra £1k in watercooling and OC the GPU's then that is where you will see them beat the stock 295 X2. The performance increase is around 5%-20%

I still don't see any reason to get the Titan Z apart from to say you have them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
But the Titan Z for gaming are not the way to go. At least once you get to 1440p or 4k. A Titan Z dips below that of the 295 X2.

3 way Crossfire would out perform the titan z due to the clock speeds especially as they are being watercooled.

Unless you drop the extra £1k in watercooling and OC the GPU's then that is where you will see them beat the stock 295 X2. The performance increase is around 5%-20%

I still don't see any reason to get the Titan Z apart from to say you have them.

You get 2 Titan Zs for the price of one, that's a reason

If I were the OP, I would 101% go for the Titan Z deal, it's absolutely incredible

Soldato
- Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Cube Case - Black this time
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Devil's Canyon Haswell (Socket 1150) Quad Core, Eight Thread Processor, Watercooled and Overclocked to at least 4.7GHz
- Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97
- RAM: Avexis Blitz 2400mhz 16GB
- Graphics: 3 x AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X 4096MB Graphics Cards in triple Crossfire & Watercooled
- Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop, Mayhems White Pastel Fluid and white tubing
- Primary Drive: Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB Solid State Drive
- Secondary Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA-III Hard Drive
- Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray BDRW Retail
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit
- Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Platinum Rated 1200W Silent Power Supply
- Fan Controller:Bitfenix Recon
- Replacement Fan for rear outlet:Alpenföhn Plus Wing Boost PWM Fan Red Clover Edition - 140mm

Looks great and the 1200w would be spot on for what you want.

Soldato
You get 2 Titan Zs for the price of one, that's a reason

Irrelevant with the clock speeds and the fact that 3-way crossfire will give the same performance as the titan-z's at stock speeds.

Plus once you get to 1440p or 4k you loose even more FPS with the Titan-Z's over both SLI and Crossfire set-ups.

Associate
OP
Thanks Curlyriff, that's a relief because I was worried that it may have contributed towards the last pc giving up the ghost.

Sorry I missed all your replies earlier guys, I was typing after post number 48.

That is an incredible deal on the Titan Z but ocuk are doing me a good deal on this particular setup with the better motherboard. Basically they are able to do all this as a direct replacement for the Tesseract and the extra card and water cooling parts I purchased last week. Other than a few extras that I'm chucking onto the order like the fans and controller.

Back
Top Bottom