Please Help with WaterCooling Stuff

Associate
Hi all :)

well im new to all this water cooling stuff but i was wondering what you all think about the stuff i have picked out
Apogee waterblock
Swiftech MCW60-B VGA Waterblock
- MCR220 Radiator
- MCP655 12V DC Pump
- MCRES-MICRO reservoir
- MCB120 Radbox radiator mounting adapter
- 7/16" ID Tubing

it would all cost around £180 . or could i get something cheaper ?.do you think this would be a good setup for me to start with ? .i will be getting a
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 (Socket 775

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300/ E6600

BFG 3DFuzion GeForce 7600 GT
Thanks for any help i may get

Soldato
I also have this Swiftech kit.

It works well and comes with all the bits you need to get started - So great for a first timer.

The only one thing about WaterCooling is that if you want to move/change something - It can be a pain, as it's not easy getting the pipes off and then you need a bucket, as the water will just poor out.

Associate
Yeah good kit to start with, its actually a pretty good cooling kit. Its over £100 so its cant be cheap, all budget water cooling cools slightly better than much cheaper air cooling. Or it cools worse that some of the top range air coolers.

good luck with the kit and the setup!

Associate
OP
yes it was the swiftech kit i was looking at but i was going to add a Swiftech MCW60-B VGA Waterblock to it as well . i did post on another forum and i was told to change the MCR220 Radiator for a Thermochill PA series for better performance is there a problem with the MCR220 Radiator :confused:

Associate
I went for a very similar setup but with a MCP350 pump as it's better and a 240 Black Ice GT Stealth II radiator as it's very compact and cools very well. The Thermochill PA radiators are probably the best out there but I think they are bigger, I wanted something smaller.

Associate
OP
so if i where to buy all seprate what would you recommend ? i need good cooling and it needs to be quite. and how much more would it cost

Soldato
money and space no object?

DD D5 Vario
Swiftech Storm
7/16" masterkleer
Thermochill PA.120.3
3 x Yate loon (Nexus) fans
Your choice of GFX block

It's about balancing cost v performance gain. This is where is Swiftech kit is a good buy.

Soldato
Just got my new setup going, im running:

AquaXtreme MP-05 cpu block
DD Maze4 GPU block
Alphacool Laing DDC Ultra with Plexitop
Thermochill PA.2 rad
Bay res
XSPC 1/2" Tubing

Im more than happy with the setup though the bay res is a bit of a pain n will probly get changed text time

Soldato
Marci said:
Ditch the DD D5... replace with Alphacool DDC Ultra - wipes the floor with the D5.

Im using this pump and im really happy with it. Im using the top inlet as it was easier to put in my loop this way. I understand this gives me an increase in flow rate but a decrease in head height but how much is the head actually decreased?? Any ideas?
cheers

Associate
Not quite... DDC+ with Alphacool or Petrastech top, using top inlet instead of side, gives more head, less flowrate, less heatdump than D5 when tested outside of a loop (completely unrestricted)

maxFlow.JPG

maxPressure.jpg

Now whack the items in a loop and see how they come out... (ie: with some block-based restrictions)

Loop 1 - Low Restriction loop
This particular test loop consisted of the following:
Reservoir --> 2.5" section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> Pump --> 1' section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> Swiftech MCW60 --> 1' 8.25" section of 7/16" ID Masterkleer --> HW Labs Black Ice Pro Radiator --> 1' 3" section of 7/16" ID Masterkleer --> Swiftech Apogee --> 1' 3.25" section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> Fort-Pak

flowLoop1.jpg

The higher pressure of the DDC+ with top allows it to overcome restrictions and produce a higher final flowrate than the D5.

Go for a more restrictive loop than the one above...

Loop 2 - Relatively High Restriction loop
This was the second of two "real world" flowrate tests--mainly done out of curiosity. This particular test loop consisted of the following:
Reservoir --> 2.5" section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> Pump --> 1' section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> AqX MP-1 GPU --> 1' 8.25" section of 7/16" ID Masterkleer --> HW Labs Black Ice Pro Radiator --> 1' 3" section of 7/16" ID Masterkleer --> AqX MP-05 SP LE --> 1' 3.25" section of 1/2" ID Tygon --> Fort-Pak

flowLoop2.jpg

Reference: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117215

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Laing D5-Vario (1/2") £68.75

ThermoChill PA120.3 £57.96

Swiftech Storm G4 £57.13

Swiftech MCW60 £33.34
Nexus D12SL-12 (Black & White) 120mm Fan £32
7/16" ID (9/16" OD ThinWalled) Masterkleer PVC £0.35 per foot

well that takes me to about £250 and iv not even put a reservoir in there yet
:eek:

Associate
OP
or what do you think of this lot is it better than a swiftech kit ? but i would need to add a G/Card cooler to them

kit 1

# Swiftech Storm G4 Waterblock - as designed by Cathar
# ThermoChill PA160 Radiator - as designed by Cathar
# Nexus 120mm fan - giving good airflow at 12v, and silence at 7v (12v > 7v converter included)
# Alphacool Laing DDC Ultra Pump as recommended by Cathar
# Dangerden HPDE Reservoir
# 10' 7/16"ID Masterkleer Tubing and HoseClamps
# Arctic Silver 5
# Zerex Additive (to be added to distilled water at 5% by volume)

£201.94

Back
Top Bottom