Please try and help before I have to have the hassle of RMA

Associate
I recently purchased a Sebrent 1tb Nvme SSD, I also purchased a ssk enclosure for it to sit in.

The reason I did this is I needed a new external HDD for now but wanted to be able to use the nvme drive once I had. A desktop pc again.

Things went okay at first, showed up in windows and tried crystaldisk to check the speeds as it seemed slow. Only got 37mb in the first test so knew something was wrong. Tried it in another usb port and now the drive doesn't show up in windows. When I use diskpart it shows it but I can't do anything with it. It shows the free space as 0 and as MBR instead of gpt. When I try to initialise the disk it says there isn't enough space to do it. Tried amoei assistant but it won't force a gpt conversion either.

Do you think the drive is dead? I can't check the drive bare as I don't have a pc with a nvme slot.

Thanks

Don
I only suggested it because I had a similar issue with one disconnecting, but that was using a USB C-C that came with an A adaptor.

Could just be a faulty unit though.

Associate
Before you RMA the SSD you need to either try another enclosure or a M.2 slot.

USB 3.1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Enclosure - ElecGear NV-C01 External Aluminum Cooling Case, 2280 PCI-E M2 M-Key NGFF HDD Card Reader Adapter, NVMe Hard Disk Drive Converter Caddy Box, USB Type A & C cable

Associate
OP
Unfortunately I do t have away to test on another pc or enclosure. I live in a very remote village in new zZealan currently. It's such a shame this has happened as the drive came from Amazon usa

Associate
OP
SSK Aluminium Alloy M.2 SSD HDD Enclosure Type-C Mobile Hard Disk Case M.2(NGFF) SATA NVMe Interface SSD 2242/2260/2280 HDD Case

Associate
It going to be difficult to diagnose with out having access to a motherboard with a M.2 NVMe port or another enclosure.

Do you have any local PC repair shops that you could take it to and have then check for you?

Associate
OP
Unfortunately I am about 6 hour return drive from the nearest pc store. The town has a population of probably less than 100 people so don't know anyone with a decent pc.

I have tried the enclosure without the nvme drive in and it is picked up in the exact same way as it is without it. It shows as a drive of zero space. This makes me think it's the drive? I have ordered a new enclosure from online but it may take weeks to get here.

Associate
OP
Just to update this. It seems very odd to me so hope someone can enlighten me.

Ordered a new enclosure. For the first 5 minutes all seemed okay. Was able to move some files. Started crystaldisk mark. It was showing good speeds but was slowing the pc down. Closed the test. Started moving 44gb of files. It stopped half way. Now the drive won't register. Half the time it shows as usb drive but no space or drive in diskpart. Other times it registers as nothing.

This is weird right? Is it just the problem of the enclosures?

Don
Is it the same enclosure model, but a replacement?

I would be tempted to buy a very cheap nvme drive, so you have more things to rule out where the problem lies.

Tried using a rear usb port? (Front ones can be of lesser quality)

Back
Top Bottom