Please vote for me :)

Associate
Hey guys, I know some of you don't perhaps frequent the photography forums but do have an interest in photography so I thought I'd post this up here.

IMG_0062.jpg

I'm through to the final of a photography competition and today is the final day that people can cast their votes. The photograph above is the one I have submitted and is called "Secret Trails" and if you like it I'd be hugely grateful if you could pop over to http://www.photolegal.com/index.php/photo-competition-freedom-voting/ and vote for it. I'm not asking for mindless votes, only if you believe it deserves to win the competition.

Many thanks in advance to those of you who vote for me, fingers crossed I win this as it's my first ever photo competition entry.

OP that pic dosent happen to be around mansfield does it ?

Soldato
OP
So why did you think of this particular shot?

For the topic "freedom"? Because it's the sense of freedom both the rider and viewer experience from this type of activity.

Sorry, i was just wondering how you got the light how it is, it the cyclist is well lit up but thebackground is dark.

There's actually a strobe in there that I've cloned out which brought the riders exposure up half a stop brighter than the ambient giving the moody look to the background and making him "pop" from the frame.

Soldato
Voted.

I have an amateur interest in photography - any chance you've done a write up on how you took the photo / did post processing? Would be quite interesting!

Associate
You've go my vote. The only other photo that really took my eye was the one called 'Memorial'. However, your photo seemed to be more technical (have not got a clue how to explain why) and creative.

Caporegime
Hey guys, I know some of you don't perhaps frequent the photography forums but do have an interest in photography so I thought I'd post this up here.

IMG_0062.jpg

Can i ask what sort of post processing you've done to it?

it looks awesome but not quite real, is that cause of effects added after or is it just he photo?

Soldato
Being a mountain biker that frequents Swinley forest, I thought this really summed up being in the middle of a forest away from everything.

Soldato
OP
Can i ask what sort of post processing you've done to it?

it looks awesome but not quite real, is that cause of effects added after or is it just he photo?

Voted.

I have an amateur interest in photography - any chance you've done a write up on how you took the photo / did post processing? Would be quite interesting!

You've go my vote. The only other photo that really took my eye was the one called 'Memorial'. However, your photo seemed to be more technical (have not got a clue how to explain why) and creative.

When I took the shot the ambient light was very diffuse and the mist in the background looked as you see it in the image. I placed a small strobe just to the left of the jump that Phil is going over and under exposed the ambient by half a stop. The strobe then brought Phil's exposure back up to the correct level which is what makes him appear so prominent in the frame. The photo was set up and shot in a matter of 15-20 seconds.

The processing was fairly minor, after processing the RAW file in Lightroom with some basic contrast, clarity and fill light / black adjustments I opened it up in Photoshop where I cloned out the light stand and the strobe and finally added the blue saturation layer which I played with the opacity of until I had a colour tone that I was happy with. Finally some minor dodging and burning of foreground and background elements to add three dimensionality to the image and it was complete. Post work took around 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom