Plex Nine

Soldato
I've been using it 'just because' for a few days now, and I am impressed with the presentation. it's annoying to have the Media stuff run at start-up, so I've stopped that. I've enabled Upscaling, but there has been no real change in video quality.
It is a very good way of watching TV shows and the like, very sweet. :)

Soldato
Ahhh there is a easy way to add sources (in the old way).

When running Plex go to the OSX menu bar at the top of the screen and select Plex > Advanced Settings ... in there is a tick box to enable showing Add Source menu items.

Select that and save and it will restart Plex. Under Video Plugins there should now be a Add Source item which should allow browsing a la Plex .8 by adding a source which will then show up under Video Plugins.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Going to pickup a Macmini for this... looks awesome. Was going to ask a few questions, but having noticed the link in EVH sig, ill just says thanks very much EVH. :)

No worries! I'll update it for Plex 9 when I get my TV shows up and running.

I had a play last night and the movies worked, so I can only assume there was uber traffic slamming IMDb for it not to scrap them. As for TV Shows, TheTVDB.org is touchy anyway and they're saying that this release has simply swamped the site.

My advice is leave the media manager churn over the results and hit refresh once a day until they all show up.

Associate
OP
They will get there with the scraping, I'm sure. From what I have read, plex are helping theTVDB sort their hosting out. I thought there were quite a few TV database sites anyway? Can't understand why they're only using the one.

Guess no-one has seen this yet as it was only just released...

http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/09/02/plex-and-the-future-of-television/

The optimal solution, of course, would be a box that was free, infinitely small, and required no cables. Well, we’re extremely proud to be able to introduce to you, for the first time, the Plex Box, with exactly those characteristics.

How is this possible? Well, we actually have one more “one more thing” to announce: We’re working with LG Electronics (the second largest TV manufacturer in the world) to integrate the Plex platform into their 2011 lineup of Netcast™ connected TVs and Blu-ray devices. So early next year, when you buy an LG Netcast™ TV or Blu-ray player, you will have Plex functionality built-in. Specifically, it will connect to a cloud version of the Plex platform for online content, and, if you happen to have a Plex Media Server running anywhere in your house (after all, who doesn’t have a computer in their house?), you can access your local and online content, in a rich interface, with full metadata. I’ve seen it, and it looks awesome.

I’ve been talking a lot about the importance of getting the architecture right for our platform, and this is a perfect example. Thin clients (LG TV, iOS devices), a smart media server, and plug-ins that can run in the cloud. A single integrated interface to access online content, local content, and personal content

Associate
OP
It's very easy to twist words you know. They're not saying go out and buy a new TV or Blu-Eay player. They're saying "If you're in the market for a new TV or Blu Ray player next year, take a look at the LG stuff. It will have Plex built right in. How cool is that!?"

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea when The TVDB is supposed to be back up and working for Plex? All my TV Shows look stupid without the information :(

Soldato
Any idea when The TVDB is supposed to be back up and working for Plex? All my TV Shows look stupid without the information :(

I think they are supposed to be building their own cache to sit in front of thetvdb site so that the plex plugin will actually go to there first and hopefully the load on the actually thetvdb site will be reduced.

There is an updated bundle which supposedly talks to the cache already .... but it's a manual install (fairly simple) but when I tried it the media manager would not start with it at all. (info)

edit: Tried it again this morning, I think the issue I was having was due to the network being hammered (in particular the network interface on the NAS) as i was moving a lot of media files around to it due to a disk upgrade. Creating an entry in Media Manager for a structure holding a TV series directory and allowing it to go and scan resulted in poster/fanart/banner art to choose from and episode names assigned to the media files.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was playing with Plex 9 some more today. I've been rejigging my entire storage so it's a bit of a slow task, as I'm throwing a lot of data around, but managed to get a dozen or so TV series into Plex and fully indexed. Looks very, very good now :)

Soldato
had a problem with mine at first as they were all named 101,102 ect apart from specials which showed up in plex 9, had to rename a hell of a lot of them by adding a x so they were all 1x01 ,1x02 what a pita that was

Soldato
had a problem with mine at first as they were all named 101,102 ect apart from specials which showed up in plex 9, had to rename a hell of a lot of them by adding a x so they were all 1x01 ,1x02 what a pita that was

Not much use now, but FileBot is what I use to rename all my series automatically!

Back
Top Bottom