Plex server/Backup NAS from old parts.

Associate
Going to be upgrading my cpu/mobo/ram soon and ill have leftover:
i5 4690k
Asus z-97p
16gb ddr3.

Was wondering if that would make for a good basis for a nas/plex server, and what other parts people would recommend to complete it?
I've got 2x3tb WD reds in my main pc ill be adding to it too.
Does GPU factor into transcoding (ill barely be doing any), because if not ive got an old Nvidia card thatll do the job for now, or shall i just use on board?
Something fairly energy efficient would be good.

Associate
OP
There any drawbacks from it being overkill? Like power consumption etc?
I wanted to do a raid 5 setup for a good amount of redundancy, will this require a separate raid card?
Was thinking of adding in another 3x3tb reds for a total of 15tb before taking off the raid 5 redundancy space.

Soldato
RAID5 isn't that great for this sort of setup.

If/when a drive fails the array rebuild time will be massive.

During the rebuild the array is exposed at a time when all of the drives will be getting hammered. You don't need to look very far to find examples of where a second drive has failed during the rebuild.

Associate
OP
I’m not really that bothered if I lost a disc of movies/tv I can easily get those back, so what if I just used single discs for those?
Then maybe a small raid 1 array for backups? All I’m bothered about backing up is photos/videos of the kids from mine and my wife’s pc.
I currently back up to another internal drive every day then to an external 1tb drive every week manually.

Associate
OP
Heard a ton of good stuff about Unraid so I’ll do some more research into that and maybe go with that for the operating system.
I don’t think I’ll bother with raid for the media array now.
My motherboard only has 4 sata ports so what card would you recommend for extra drive connections?

Soldato
I use unRAID on my Dell T20 and have been happy with it.

If you need more SATA ports check the support information for the NAS distribution you decide to use. I've got a Dell H310 flashed to IT mode ready to install in mine when I need more ports.

It's important to note that these NAS distributions don't usually want RAID adapters as they handle the drives directly.

Soldato
I think I'd suggest JBOD with a parity disk too. Unraid is really very good for this and its containerisation abilities means you can add Plex easily enough to it in a very elegant way and then Sonarr, Deluge, SAB etc. to automate content grabbing too. Mine also acts as a PiHole Adblocker, Ubiquiti controller, owncloud server and automated backup server using SyncThing. All this with a Pentium CPU and 8Gb of RAM so yours will be plenty enough. Power consumption is your biggest enemy here with your old kit.

The downside of Unraid is it isn't free and if you're so minded you can do everything it does for nothing using Linux, Snapraid, Docker etc. However it's cheaper than Windows and very easy to use and fit for purpose. It also has very good support via their forums.

Associate
OP
I looked at pricing before and seems reasonable really, well happy to pay for a good piece of software.
Would you guys suggest buying say a 120gb ssd for the the unraid nas? Is it still called a boot drive? I’m really clueless so really appreciate all the time you guys have spent helping me with this

Soldato
Unraid needs to boot from a USB stick

SSD is useful for a cache drive though. Left on defaults things get written to the cache drive initially before once a day moved to the array. Some people use two SSDs so that the cache drive also has a parity because if that goes you lose up to 24 hours data if it's not yet moved to the array.

Soldato
Unraid is a much better idea than R5, free trial, great community and great software, freeNAS is another option.

Power wise intel have used power gating technology since at least the 2xxx series, if its not used, the power draw is near zero on any unused cores. That said if you don't need transcoding 'much', its still overkill. I use a 4770 to provide Plex to family and friends with reasonable concurrent user counts, that said I also tend to push content in a direct play friendly format. I'd suggest before you go down this route and potentially make a storage choice that's not scalable, you consider using GSuite for your back end and unless you have a fast home connection (at least in the upload sense) a VPS of some description. I'd pimp PlexGuide as being an ideal project for you to have a look at, but i'm biased.

Associate
OP
Unraid is a much better idea than R5, free trial, great community and great software, freeNAS is another option.

Power wise intel have used power gating technology since at least the 2xxx series, if its not used, the power draw is near zero on any unused cores. That said if you don't need transcoding 'much', its still overkill. I use a 4770 to provide Plex to family and friends with reasonable concurrent user counts, that said I also tend to push content in a direct play friendly format. I'd suggest before you go down this route and potentially make a storage choice that's not scalable, you consider using GSuite for your back end and unless you have a fast home connection (at least in the upload sense) a VPS of some description. I'd pimp PlexGuide as being an ideal project for you to have a look at, but i'm biased.

Ah so Unraid doesn't use R5 itself? I just thought Unraid was like an OS and it used whatever file sorting format etc you picked.

By power gating performance do you mean like SpeedStep?

Back
Top Bottom