Plug extensions that you can cable tie?

Soldato
Probably left this a little late for a weekend job but since building my new desk I realised that all of my plug extensions are a little old and past it. I have the steel (like this) underneath the worktop to stop it sagging, so I'd like to tidy up my cables and find some nice surge-protected plug extensions that I can cable-tie to the steel underneath. Anyone know of any off-hand before I go off trawling the interwebz? :) I'm sure I've seen some before that have a little mounting "bracket" for cable-tying.

Associate
Ah perfect thank you :D Are they particularly heavy, they look pretty heavy duty. And I take it they're all surge protected? (Probably better than your generic white strips right...)
No worries! To be honest - the ones I’ve got are not heavy at all. 4 screws into the underside of the desk (or back as in the case of mine!) and I’ve just used sticky cable ties / clips.

Not sure if OCUK sell them - doesn’t look like it - but there a cable company in St Helen’s that sell them -very good value!

Soldato
OP
it - but there a cable company in St Helen’s that sell them -very good value!
Does the name begin with Barbie and ___? :p

Also, any reason not to get a 12 way? Maybe get two 6 ways so they run off different sockets perhaps. Can you tell I know nothing about electricals? :p

Soldato
OP
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether to get eg two 6 ways rather than a single 12 way? :confused:

Also, any reason not to get a 12 way? Maybe get two 6 ways so they run off different sockets perhaps. Can you tell I know nothing about electricals? :p

Soldato
No worries! To be honest - the ones I’ve got are not heavy at all. 4 screws into the underside of the desk (or back as in the case of mine!) and I’ve just used sticky cable ties / clips.

Not sure if OCUK sell them - doesn’t look like it - but there a cable company in St Helen’s that sell them -very good value!
Thanks for this post, i've been eyeing some on Amazon for a while but I don't need them. At that price why not, time to properly sort out my cable management!

Soldato
OP
How come some of the mounting "ears" are at the front - flush with the front of the sockets. And some are flush with the back of the PDU?

I want to get two 6-way PDUs but the mounting ears are flush with the front which would make it difficult to cable-tie to my desk steel. Can you move them around? :confused:

Soldato
Mainly because they are designed to be put into a comms rack. Front ears are to mount forward facing in front of cabinet, and rear ears are to mount forward facing in rear of cabinet.

Edit - there are loads of 6 and 7 port rear eared PDUs on Amazon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether to get eg two 6 ways rather than a single 12 way? :confused:

Just be careful with a 12 way one, can obviously be very easy to overload the socket. Make sure you add up the load you're plugging into it to keep it under 13amps/3000watts

We have several 12 way vertical ones at work but they're into commando sockets but even so you always need to do your maths before you start plugging things in!

Soldato
OP
Mainly because they are designed to be put into a comms rack. Front ears are to mount forward facing in front of cabinet, and rear ears are to mount forward facing in rear of cabinet.
Yeah I figured as much. There does look to be screwed holding the ears on, reckon they can be reversed or is that wishful thinking?
Just be careful with a 12 way one, can obviously be very easy to overload the socket. Make sure you add up the load you're plugging into it to keep it under 13amps/3000watts
Yeah, I think I'd rather split into two 6-ways just to be safe. I'm sure I wouldn't overload it mind.

Associate
The PDUs I’ve got have rear ears - so are mounted inside a cabinet - selected specifically for that reason. And whilst some of the 3M Gucci tape is very strong, assuming plugging in and out frequently, then that’s deffo not gonna hold up.

I’ve just used some hex pan head screws with washers and some nylon dome caps.

The ones I have are function over form. Alternatively the gucci pop up ones are very nice looking.

Horses for courses!

Whilst in effect just a 13A extension cord - it’d be foolish not to fix them mechanically.

Back
Top Bottom