Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
I'm currently playing sky £37.40 for 40Mb fibre. I'm out of contract and thinking about binning them for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband for £30.

I've only had Virgin (which I can't get anymore due to location) or Sky. How hard it it to move provider?

Caporegime
I'm currently playing sky £37.40 for 40Mb fibre. I'm out of contract and thinking about binning them for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband for £30.

I've only had Virgin (which I can't get anymore due to location) or Sky. How hard it it to move provider?

Very easy. Ask new provider to supply new service. Sit back and wait two weeks.

If you're happy with Sky, why not ask for a discount? Might get half price for a year, taking it down to £27.40?

Man of Honour
Anyone here had issues with the white PN router? My mums internet is down. PN say the internet is up at the router, wifi works between devices and the router and devices get an IP. Same with cable. Just no connection to the outside world. They want £49 for a new one to be sent out, or £6 and a new 2 year contract.

Associate
Has she tried turning it off and on again?

I've had that issue before with the old techicolor router where everything is green across the board, but nothing can get out (plus you can't access the router either from any device) and a full shutdown and restart has always fixed it.

Man of Honour
Yeah, it's also been factory reset twice.

Unless you mean remove power and leave it unplugged? PlusNet have been useless, blaming her laptop when her phone has the same symptoms.

Associate
I only used the power button on the back, but if it doesn't have one then pulling the plug would do (if that hasn't been done, and all that has been done is resets using the pin push button) to kill power.

Man of Honour
Well the new router turned up despite her telling them to cancel the 24 month extension and not to send it out, she tried that and it sits in a connect/disconnect loop. I did notice the last time I was there that the connection was really poor. They think there's a line fault which would marry up with the connection problems I saw at hers before.

Caporegime
My 12 month contract with BT for Infinity is up and looking up shifting to PlusNet as the prices are much better. Will PlusNet handle the switchover? Or do I have to cancel with BT then switch?

Soldato
My mum and dad were on "upto 52mb" BT Fibre and they routinely got speeds of 15-18mb on speedtest.net - switched them to Plusnet's upto 38mb package and now speedtest reports speeds of around 32mb!!

Ironic, not least because aren't Plusnet simply as BT reseller??

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
My mum and dad were on "upto 52mb" BT Fibre and they routinely got speeds of 15-18mb on speedtest.net - switched them to Plusnet's upto 38mb package and now speedtest reports speeds of around 32mb!!

Hard to tell without seeing before and after sync + IP profile.

Soldato

No. They're owned by BT but they are separate.

If you'd reported the slow speeds to BT you could probably have got it fixed.

Associate
Been with bt for a long time,paying £48 for 52mb averaging 48mb via speedtest,and ping of around 9-10,will be £28 for 76mb with plusnet,only need decent speed really,just hope I don't have problems.

Associate
My 12 month contract with BT for Infinity is up and looking up shifting to PlusNet as the prices are much better. Will PlusNet handle the switchover? Or do I have to cancel with BT then switch?

Plusnet will do all that work, so all you have to do is do all the work with plusnet and they'll contact BT and tell them that you're switching suppliers.

Caporegime
Plusnet will do all that work, so all you have to do is do all the work with plusnet and they'll contact BT and tell them that you're switching suppliers.

Sweet, just signed up for their 76Mb 18 month fibre deal with £50 Quidco. Looks like they've got a half decent router now (HH5 based which is what we have now and works well).

Last edited:

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Well I think it's time for me to move on from Plusnet and switch. I had a really good deal with them for the last 18 months but they can't/won't match it. They also won't match any other cheaper deals which is a shame.

I've been with them for over 3 years and the connection has been solid. Can't recall any issues in that time.

Initially I was considering Vodafone, they have a good deal + cashback at the moment but won't give login details to use your own equipment (wtf is that about?). Don't listen to their sales team either, they will say you can.

Anyway, I was looking at Origin broadband. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

Man of Honour
A week later and mum still has a fault with her internet. She's had to constantly ring PlusNet for updates. They claim to have rung her 'numerous' time however she has had no missed called on her phone. They email her updates, which is great, because she can only get access to her email using the internet, which doesn't work. They have been really, really poor so far! They eventually booked an Openreach engineer for yesterday who never turned up, there's meant to be another one coming today.

I text my mate her number to check as he works for Openreach, came back within a few minutes and said it looks like a fault at the exchange. How on earth the ISP need a week to get this far is beyond me, so happy I decided not to switch to them.

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Congested. Have a look at EE.

Wouldn't I have the same experience as I do now with Plusnet as Origin use their services outside of their catchment area?

EE works out the same but my only concern with them is their traffic management. I don't want to experience any slow downs with P2P services.

Back
Top Bottom