Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
I've paid up front for line rental, does it usually get added on as a surcharge on the monthly bill?

The line rental increase will only apply if you pay it monthly.

For the Line Rental Saver nothing will happen until the renewal date when you'll be charged the new rate going forward.

Associate
Anyone still waiting for a line rental increase letter? Bit concernedas prices go into effect soon and we have to give 30 days notice if we want to switch for this reason. Obviously this process can only be started once you are advised of the price rise by the ISP via email.

Associate
Anyone still waiting for a line rental increase letter? Bit concernedas prices go into effect soon and we have to give 30 days notice if we want to switch for this reason. Obviously this process can only be started once you are advised of the price rise by the ISP via email.
They might be sending it with the next notification of payment email, but I might (since I can) call them up and get on the current 18 month contract price which will save me a bit even with the price increase.

Now that I'm mentioning contracts, I did receive a strange text message supposedly from plusnet three months ago stating that my contract was going to end soon when it had ended a year before which lead to constant calls from a Sheffield number (which I ended up blocking on the landline, but they moved to my mobile number once only) which a google stated were from plusnet.

TFC

TFC

Associate
I received the email on Friday..

These changes are happening from the 29th June:
Your line rental will increase from £17.99 to £18.99 a month.
The cost of your Anytime call plan is increasing from £6.50 to £7.00 a month.
We're adding a fair usage policy to our call plans, so for 0845 and 0870 numbers you can make up to 150 calls or 1,000 minutes of calls each month.
Your Line Rental still includes free calls to other Plusnet Home Phone customers.
The cost of your broadband isn’t changing.

Man of Honour
Can you view your line data with PlusNet? My BB has just moved to them and I'd like to see if I got any extra sync speed. Can't be bothered to wait till I get home to check my modem. :p

Man of Honour
Telephone number:
#####
Phone exchange:
#####
Estimated line speed:
73Mb (This may vary between 54.5Mb and 73.6Mb) - Checked on 2017-04-21 16:58:06
Current line speed:
78 Mb

I'd be well happy if it's 73Mb but I only got around 46Mb with Zen so I doubt it.

Soldato
Depends, you may had a DLM profile applied that capped the speed. I used to get ~60meg with Sky, and when I moved to Plusnet I was seeing speeds vary around the 50meg mark. Eventually I figured out the modem I was using at the time was a bit dodgy, so replaced it - but by that time the DLM profile was locked to 49meg. I ended up getting an engineer out and had the DLM profile reset, and after a few weeks of stabilising I'm getting 60-65meg steadily.

Man of Honour
The connection is still giving me 46Mb down, I need to get on the modem to see what it's doing. I can get a DLM reset easy as my mate works for Openreach and I just text him my number and he can do it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So far so good with PlusNet after moving from Zen, no evening congestion which is what I feared however the connection is the same as I got with Zen. The only thing I have noticed is my ping has gone up from 7ms to 10ms but again that's not noticeable. Gaming, streaming, Usenet downloads all the same. Glad I made the move.

Just need to try the Openreach modem to see if it gives me any more speed than the Vigor 130.

Associate
I've now lost the warm and fuzzy feeling I had with regards of plusnet as I renewed my contract last month and when I was told the price, I asked does that include everything? To which I was told that it did where in fact it didn't since caller display wasn't included which added another 99p to the total once I got the "we'll be charging your account soon" email and found that what was being charged and what I was told were completely different.

Soldato
How is Plusnet for gaming and downloading these days. As positive as the comments above?

Pretty much exactly the same as any other FTTC provider, you'll get near enough the same speed and sync rates with anyone, unlike the ADSL/2e days very little differentiates them, other than with PN is the profile is 38/2 rather than 38/10 more commonly used or 52/10 for BT's standard fibre. Personally 52/10 was better value for me and BT's cash back via Quidco/TCB made it a no brainer.

Soldato
Hi - just ordered PN fibre, on a (old not new) phoneline with no current internet connection (coming from VM cable).
Any idea what the lead time is for orders these days?

Having been out of the DSL arena for a while, is it still the case they send you the modem and an activation date? Then you just plug it in on the day and away you go?

Back
Top Bottom