Plusnet Discussion Thread

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The wait for CS is a major downside, and they are useless when you do get through.. Other than that they are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Only been with Plusnet less than a month but so far so good. Changeover from BT went without a problem and I'm getting the max speed my line can handle. Not using the hub, using a Draytek vigor 130 and Netgear R7800.

Caporegime
I don't know what Sky's is like but the PlusNet One is BTs older HH5 and it's flakey, I actually abandoned it and went back to my original BT HH5 as that was slightly less flakey.

Associate
So my parents have been with Plusnet since 2002 and now I am moving out I am going with Plusnet also. My parents got the Netgear router that Plusnet were supplying when they launched fibre (and its been fine the entire time) but I guess I will be getting the Hub One? What alternatives are there? I'd ideally not want an all in one, I'd rather have a separate modem and router.

What modems are people currently using? The Openreach modem? TP Link W9970? And what are the recommended routers for under £100? I have seen the thread about the Asus DSL-AC68U, so we can exclude that... :p

Any recommendations welcome :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I have and will continue to use an unlocked HG612 and I've just moved from an Asus RT-N66U to the AC86U. No complaints at all.

The Hub is ok, it works but its pretty basic, fine for some but anyone remotely techie will want better. I hear the wireless is a bit crap.

Caporegime
Plusnet Hub Router is good enough, no real complaints.

The wireless is actually very good, and I'm in a very crowded area with around 10 networks within range where I am sat.

Associate
I use a Netgear D7000, works really well.
If anyone's about to sign up and wants to use my referrer code, please feel free to drop me a Trust message ;)

Ha, I used my parents referral code but thanks anyway. Broadband will be active on the 23rd (which seems like ages just to turn the line on etc)

I have and will continue to use an unlocked HG612 and I've just moved from an Asus RT-N66U to the AC86U. No complaints at all.

The Hub is ok, it works but its pretty basic, fine for some but anyone remotely techie will want better. I hear the wireless is a bit crap.

I'm tempted to get a HG612 from eBay and the unlock it, and then use the Hub as just a router. Wireless is not an issue as the house will be hard wired ethernet with just mobiles being used on the WiFi.

Soldato
I had problems with the wireless on my PN Hub One and have had a couple of friends with similar problems on their BT HH5s, mainly poor throughput.

It's been a while since I last looked but IIRC, the routers come configured for automatic channel selection. Manually setting it to use an uncongested channel resolved any problems me/my friends were having.

Soldato
I'm tempted to get a HG612 from eBay and the unlock it, and then use the Hub as just a router. Wireless is not an issue as the house will be hard wired ethernet with just mobiles being used on the WiFi.

How would that help? You'll have a solution that works identically to the hub on its own.

Associate
I've read that the modem in the hub isn't the most stable so getting a separate modem and then using the hub just as a router will provide a more stable connection?

Correct. The modem in the hub is known to have issues with equipment in some exchanges. If your line becomes unstable and keeps disconnecting, your profile will be downgraded and your maximum speeds reduced - sometimes dramatically.

The Hub doesn't get great reviews for wireless performance either though, so you might want to think about an alternative all-in-one solution that combines both a great modem with great wireless (if such a product exists).

Recently an Openreach engineer told me that the now very old HG612 is no longer a recommended solution either and too can have issues. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Recently an Openreach engineer told me that the now very old HG612 is no longer a recommended solution either and too can have issues. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

I had an engineer tell me something similar too. Funny thing is mine has been rock solid and stays up for months on end without issue. Looking on sites like TBB and Kitz it seems they just say that because they want you to use the ISP supplied kit as they don't officially support he HG612 anymore, not because its bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are Plusnet like these days? I was with them for about 5 years on ADSL2 and then later moving to FTTC and the service was overall very good. I left them 2 years ago.

Are there still ongoing issues with packet loss on their new network and have they moved away from the 2Mbps upload on their 40Mbps FTTC package?

Various line checkers indicate I should be able to get full speed on an 80/20 connection and I'm also in a cable area so lots of options which is making it difficult to choose. Tempted to go for a business grade connection for a static IP and better SLAs.

Soldato
What are Plusnet like these days? I was with them for about 5 years on ADSL2 and then later moving to FTTC and the service was overall very good. I left them 2 years ago.

Are there still ongoing issues with packet loss on their new network and have they moved away from the 2Mbps upload on their 40Mbps FTTC package?

Various line checkers indicate I should be able to get full speed on an 80/20 connection and I'm also in a cable area so lots of options which is making it difficult to choose. Tempted to go for a business grade connection for a static IP and better SLAs.
Not sure about the packet loss issues, personally I haven't had this problem in a long time so maybe it's fixed. They went back from 40/2 to 40/10 a few months ago.

Plusnet give you a static IP for like £5 one-off.

Soldato
Is a static IP free on the business packages? Definitely not a deal breaker, it'll just make things easier when labbing at home.

Good to hear they saw sense and went back to the 10Mbps upload. I was on a rolling 40/20 and refused to re-sign a new contract when they brought that in.

Last edited:
Associate
Been with Plusnet only 2 month's but the service has been great. Switch over went without a hitch and I've been getting full 80/20. Using my own equipment though, never bothered even installing the hub they supplied.

Associate
So, settled in with Plusnet. 300m from the cabinet, and I'm only getting 30mb download, 5mb upload. Ping hovers around 10ms 98% of the time.

Data rate: 6031 / 33070
Maximum data rate: 6030 / 32476
Noise margin: 6.0 / 6.1
Line attenuation: 37.4 / 26.0
1Signal attenuation: 24.6 / 23.5

Everything looks fine to me, what are others thoughts? Aluminium cable? Neighbours across the street are on a different cabinet and are getting 76mb/19mb up :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom