• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Point in 680?

Associate
OP
When [H] was talking of a smoother experience on SLI, I doubt they were mostly talking about 20 FPS. IIRC They just said at lower frame rates, 680 SLI seemed to be smoother at the same frame rate when compared to 7970 CF. They could have meant 20 or 40, I don't know what they meant by low, seeing as in some games they got 140 FPS and some 50 FPS.

Soldato
your point about price/performance is valid, however with OC 680 cards coming out that put the 680 a good step ahead of the 7970 OC again, and I can easily justify the small extra amount on the green team for the ease of their drivers in comparison (from all the horror stories of xfire on here)

Soldato
your point about price/performance is valid, however with OC 680 cards coming out that put the 680 a good step ahead of the 7970 OC again, and I can easily justify the small extra amount on the green team for the ease of their drivers in comparison (from all the horror stories of xfire on here)

the oc 680s that are coming out right now aren't just a bit more expensive are they, they're a total rip off..... this is mentioned often by members here

finally, this is close in price to the GTX 685 due out soon, and i'd much rather have this card than the 680... especially if you wait an extra month and get an after market version of this 685 card instead....WOW :cool:

Soldato
*sigh* please just stop regurgitating that german site where the guy admitted he was just guessing and legit reviews re-published his made up table, changed it to say what they wanted it to say and missed off the statement immediately before it that said "this is my guess"

so 430quid for an OC non reference 680 is total rip off considering even the reference ones are 425-450 is it?

Soldato
I'm just waiting for my 10% voucher to come through and then I'll probably change my order to a jetstream though - as I think the reviews seem to indicate it's the better clocker (and it does have an extra power handling phase so that would make sense)

Associate
On what setup?

I've literally never had a problem with my nvidia cards

Barely ever get problems here. Ran a 7900 GT for years with rare problems. 4870, 5770, 5850 and now NVidia again with a GTX 570, and I barely ever have driver problems.

The most common one I've had is installing newer drivers that are a lil borked and I have to roll back to the previous one.

I really wonder how people manage to have such bad problems. Am I just lucky? :p

Soldato
the oc 680s that are coming out right now aren't just a bit more expensive are they, they're a total rip off..... this is mentioned often by members here

finally, this is close in price to the GTX 685 due out soon, and i'd much rather have this card than the 680... especially if you wait an extra month and get an after market version of this 685 card instead....WOW :cool:

Yawn.

Caporegime

If you keep saying week after week that the 685 is coming out soon, eventually you will be correct.

I still ask for source and price info. Nothing coming....

Associate
Considering you can get the Sapphire 7970 OC Edition for less money, what's the point in the 680?

From the reviews, the 680 definitely beat the 7970 at stock and at the time, the 7970 was considerably more expensive.

But with the 7970 OC Edition, you should be able to get on par/better performance than an overclocked 680 as from what I've seen, the 7970 has more overclocking headroom.

So basically, the 7970 OC Edition has better; acoustics, thermals, price and on par/marginally better performance. The 3GB looks especially appealing as I have a 2560*1440 screen and may be going multi monitor this year.

Any thoughts? Why should I get a 680? Should I expect 680 price drops considering the 7970 OC Edition is cheaper and supposedly the 7970 stock will drop to £360 soon.

I don't really see the 'point' in this thread tbh.

All you have to do is read and make your own mind up, the point in getting the 680 over the 7970 is if you actually want it. I wanted the 680 so that's why I bought it, it's good to have choice also it keeps prices down, I have had lots of amd/nvidia cards over the years and I personally prefer the nvidia drivers and game support, that's the 'point'.

Soldato
:cool:
If you keep saying week after week that the 685 is coming out soon, eventually you will be correct.

I still ask for source and price info. Nothing coming....

you know it's comming out soon, be it may or august, it's all over the web, as is the GTX 690..

August ?...... that's as good as next week, good grief it was only January a few weeks ago :cool:

Soldato

you know it's comming out soon, be it may or august, it's all over the web, as is the GTX 690..

August ?...... that's as good as next week, good grief it was only January a few weeks ago :cool:
I hear the new nVidia 990 ULTRA GTX MARS JUPITER SATURN is coming out soon as well....

Last edited:
Caporegime

All I see over the web is "Rumours". If you look back on the Keplar "Rumours" for the 680 most, if not 90% were wrong till release date.

Personally I dont care when it is released but please state it is "Rumour" only and not proof.

Soldato

I like the way that you keep saying it's "all over the web" but none of us seem to be able to find this and the one time you quote a source it turns out to be a mistranslation of someone saying "I guess the following"

Soldato
I like the way that you keep saying it's "all over the web" but none of us seem to be able to find this and the one time you quote a source it turns out to be a mistranslation of someone saying "I guess the following"

well lets see if i'm wrong in August.... nothing more to say is there

Soldato
well lets see if i'm wrong in August.... nothing more to say is there

You might be right - that's not the point - but on a forum with people of generally decent intellect posting unsourced garbage is really frowned upon. It belongs in the 'HELLO magazine' world of computer hardware frankly.

If you have genuine rumours from decent sources then we're all ears.

Soldato
You might be right - that's not the point - but on a forum with people of generally decent intellect posting unsourced garbage is really frowned upon. It belongs in the 'HELLO magazine' world of computer hardware frankly.

If you have genuine rumours from decent sources then we're all ears.

if you're that smart then you should be wise enough to realise that it's rumours only and leave it at that, after all; you dont hear me complaining when you attack each other like pathetic kids, over all that 7970 vs 680 ****.... all that fanboy garbage

so dont talk to me about decent intellectual postings, because you're nothing like that yourself, especially when you've been attacking me over on the other thread, calling me a liar.

Back
Top Bottom