Police chief 'wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed limit'

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Hurry up with autonomous cars, they will never speed, the police will loose all their income and funding, so they will have to cut numbers even more with tighter budgets, so there will even less police around to bother the rest of us who keep our none autonomous cars and drive like crazy people everywhere :)

Soldato
wow, like every car that's road legal in the uk has a spedometer that's exactly accurate and can compensate for temperature and tyre wear factors and will never ever lose accuracy no matter how old the car is or how many miles it's done without servicing the speed sensing equipment.

oh yeah, and when you swap your 19" oem summer wheels for the old 17" wheels with winter tyres on it your spedometer will be able to compensate for that.

and thats before we get to the point of driving is to have your eyes on the damn road rather than ensuring you're analogue speedo's needle is exactly on the line and not slightly above it.

suuuuuuuurrre......

yes some people take the mick and use the formula indicated speed=speed limit+10+(10*number of bmw's owned) and this is why we have speed cameras and fines and a police force.

Caporegime
wow, like every car that's road legal in the uk has a spedometer that's exactly accurate and can compensate for temperature and tyre wear factors and will never ever lose accuracy no matter how old the car is or how many miles it's done without servicing the speed sensing equipment.

oh yeah, and when you swap your 19" oem summer wheels for the old 17" wheels with winter tyres on it your spedometer will be able to compensate for that.

and thats before we get to the point of driving is to have your eyes on the damn road rather than ensuring you're analogue speedo's needle is exactly on the line and not slightly above it.

suuuuuuuurrre......

yes some people take the mick and use the formula indicated speed=speed limit+10+(10*number of bmw's owned) and this is why we have speed cameras and fines and a police force.

The UK law, regarding accuracy of vehicle speedometers is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes.

A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph.

Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading exactly 50mph with the needle bang on the 50, you will never be doing more than 50mph but it’s quite possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

To ensure that they comply with the law and make sure that their speedometers are never showing less than true speed under any foreseeable circumstances, including running high or low tyre pressures, fitting different wheel tyre combos, etc, car manufacturers will normally deliberately calibrate their speedos to read ‘high’ by a quite an amount.

Associate
This cop is a numpty. When over half the country gets banned from driving over the next few years (because you can't change years of peoples driving habits overnight), unemployment will go up and the economy will tank.

Silly post. Silly idea.

Soldato
This cop is a numpty. When over half the country gets banned from driving over the next few years (because you can't change years of peoples driving habits overnight), unemployment will go up and the economy will tank.

Silly post. Silly idea.

Is he? Did you know he's also the director of a private company that provides/runs speed awareness courses? Lowering the enforcement threshold seems like a nice way to drive up attendance numbers/profits, no?

Associate
What is the margin for error on a speed gun?

What is the margin for error on a speed camera?

I’ve been told there Is a 5% tolerance error in the cameras and guns so in a 30 zone you can got up to 33mph and in a 70 zone you can go up to 77mph before they pick up your speed as “Speeding” I think it will be da more dangerous rolling out the 1mph over rule as you will be constantly looking at your speedo and the person in front of you could be to which might cause him to break all the time without notice. Not to bad at low speeds but could case an accident on the main roads at 70! Even when I set my cruise control to 70 going down a hill it sometimes goes to 71 so would my car would get me caught for speeding?

Caporegime
Stupid and unenforceable in the real world.

Is he? Did you know he's also the director of a private company that provides/runs speed awareness courses? Lowering the enforcement threshold seems like a nice way to drive up attendance numbers/profits, no?
I read this yesterday, a cop with a financial incentive to have it done wants to lower the speed limit, I hope this is picked up on by the media and he’s exposed for the self serving cretin he clearly is.

Soldato
Yay. A nation of drivers who will now spend their entire journeys constantly checking their speedometers, rather than paying attention to the road.
A stupid idea. If you want to improve road safety, then focusing on people straying 1MPH over an arbitrary limit isn't the way to go about it. I was hoping that this was nothing more than the usual loud mouth who's views will quietly be forgotten about, but it seems that this story is already gathering momentum on the news over the past few days.

I read this yesterday, a cop with a financial incentive to have it done wants to lower the speed limit, I hope this is picked up on by the media and he’s exposed for the self serving cretin he clearly is.

Although the guy is a muppet, I'm pretty sure he was also quoted as saying he wan'ts to get rid of SACs in favour of always penalising drivers instead, which would go against this claim. I'll try and find the source and update if I can.

EDIT: here it is:

Chief Constable Anthony Bangham also said speed awareness courses were being overused, and believes offenders should get fines and points on their licence instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nalised-going-just-1mph-speed-limit-britains/

Soldato
Part of the reason for the leeway is due to cameras going out of calibration over time. They would have to have people out checking them all the time if they cut it this fine.

Soldato
Hurry up with autonomous cars, they will never speed
You think?
You don't believe that, within hours of the things coming into being, we'll have forums full of ways to bypass, hack and overclock your vehicular autonomy system.... and a string of cheap junk "unrestricted" or "Autobahn version" replacement systems from Shang Dong Chuen on eBay, not to mention constant driver updates and software patches to fix all the security vulnerabilities?

What, this real world? The one with automated cameras everywhere that just mail you a speeding fine?
If they can make a boatload of cash from it, I'm sure they'll fnd a way to enforce it.

Back
Top Bottom