Police Constable

Soldato
What has pushed you to go from a comfortable job to a more stressful underpaid job? If you don't mind me asking...

Bored, no job satisfaction, unchallenged...shall I go on?

I don't know where everyones view of it being underpaid comes from though....OK starting wage is around 19,500 but this increases to around & 22,500 once you finish training. After 7 years you're up to around £37k. This is before you take in consideration 10-15% extra shift allowance.

One of the best pension schemes around and a job whilst very stressful at times can also be one of the most rewarding... Making a difference, however small to the local area.

Soldato
Bored, no job satisfaction, unchallenged...shall I go on?

I don't know where everyones view of it being underpaid comes from though....OK starting wage is around 19,500 but this increases to around & 22,500 once you finish training. After 7 years you're up to around £37k. This is before you take in consideration 10-15% extra shift allowance.

One of the best pension schemes around and a job whilst very stressful at times can also be one of the most rewarding... Making a difference, however small to the local area.

Don't forget the deductions from your wage.. Tax, NI, Pension contributions, Fed subscription, Benevolent fund, Insurance etc take almost 40% of my salary before I even see it :(

I do think it's underpaid (although I would say that) for what is expected of cops. I'm fortunate in that I didn't start at £19k, but that's less than a trainee manager at McDonalds makes, and even a probie will be expected to make decisions that could result in life or death, and could see them in front of a jury facing prison if they get it wrong. That's a lot of responsibility for not a lot of cash.

It still irks me when I see PCSOs and police staff doing 'social media' who get paid more than me.

Back
Top Bottom