Police/law short questions

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Short quick questions...

1. Lets say a 16 years old teenager, 2 months before his Bday rode a 125cc with a CBT certificate. Got caught by Police roadside inspection, what would be the consequence?

2. 19+ year old with A2 license driving an CBR1000RR, got stopped for roadside inspection. What would be the consequences?

3. 18 year old (teenager?) has A2 license, from a different European country. Let's say he's driving an Suzuki DRZ400 (UKs plates), the police stops him for roadside inspection. What would happen next? UK is in the Europe, so would they just let him go, as he has the A2?

Last edited:
Associate
To start, ill say i'm not an expert, but:

AFAIK, 1 is riding without a valid license. If your license isn't valid, neither is your insurance.

2 is tricky, if it's a full power blade, then they don't have a valid license either, however if its restricted, and all is in order, then i can't see a problem.

3, I would assume there wouldn't be a problem, providing the insurance, tax and mot is all in order.

Last edited:
Soldato
1. Driving without valid licence, as above.
2. Same as 1. However most police don't know the licences, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bat an eye lid. I'd like to see him get insured on a Blade first.
3.An A2 licence holder in any EU country is exactly the same. Nothing would happen.

Soldato
1 - Using without a licence
2 - Using without a licence assuming unrestricted bike
3 - Possible offences depending on duration of time spent in UK, intention to stay or leave. Assuming has been in UK =<12 Months and holds appropriate comparable licence category all is fine licencing wise.

In short, for anyone thinking of trying to skirt licensing laws, you'll end up up proverbial creek.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could never ride a blade on an A2 licence, the original power output is higher than 92bhp.

Yes you could, if someone has passed his A2 licence before January 2013, they can legally ride any capacity bike, providing it was restricted to 33bhp. However with the current rules from January 2013, this is no longer the case and it is as you state.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I frogot about insurance <facepalm>
But even if the bike was destricted to 33hp, and than it would get unrestricted. They'll not notice as it says 33hp on the paper or do they have a way to check it during roadside inspection ofc.

Soldato
Yeah, I frogot about insurance <facepalm>
But even if the bike was destricted to 33hp, and than it would get unrestricted. They'll not notice as it says 33hp on the paper or do they have a way to check it during roadside inspection ofc.

They can seize it I think, or demand you present it for inspection if they have reason to believe it is derestricted.

There is no legal requirement for a restriction, they are not worth the paper they're written on and are not legal proof of restriction.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
They can seize it I think, or demand you present it for inspection if they have reason to believe it is derestricted.

There is no legal requirement for a restriction, they are not worth the paper they're written on and are not legal proof of restriction.

I swear you need proof, of the bike not being over 33bhp...
But the question is, when you have the paper work saying it fits under A2. But in real life you take the restrictions in e.g. your garage... Then there's no way you can tell that without dyno..

Soldato
I swear you need proof, of the bike not being over 33bhp...
But the question is, when you have the paper work saying it fits under A2. But in real life you take the restrictions in e.g. your garage... Then there's no way you can tell that without dyno..

You do not need proof, insurance companies may ask for it but you could even send them a paint picture of 'W514ABC is 33bhp' with a smiley face, and it has just as much legal standing as a 'professional' certificate of a restrictor being fitted.

My SV650 was restricted to 33bhp (by myself, using restrictors purchased from SV650.org forum), and insurance never asked me for proof of insurance (Wicked Quotes - awesome company by the way). I also was pulled by the police once for being slightly naughty, and was not questioned on the restrictor.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
You do not need proof, insurance companies may ask for it but you could even send them a paint picture of 'W514ABC is 33bhp' with a smiley face, and it has just as much legal standing as a 'professional' certificate of a restrictor being fitted.

My SV650 was restricted to 33bhp (by myself, using restrictors purchased from SV650.org forum), and insurance never asked me for proof of insurance (Wicked Quotes - awesome company by the way). I also was pulled by the police once for being slightly naughty, and was not questioned on the restrictor.

So my understanding from what you're saying is, that I can buy normal SV650 without any restrictions. Than when insuring I can just say its 33hp, will they just believe me? :eek:

Soldato
So my understanding from what you're saying is, that I can buy normal SV650 without any restrictions. Than when insuring I can just say its 33hp, will they just believe me? :eek:

So long as you aren't pulled for inspection. I don'tr know how they deal with restriction.

I rode a full power (55hp+) CBR400RR when i was meant to be on 33hp. Didn't have any issues. But then again, it's a 400 and commonly restricted.

Soldato

You can say it's 33bhp and they may well believe you. But come the day you have an accident and need to claim, there engineers will be all over your bike like a bad rash (along with the Police's engineers). You will then end up with no cover at all, being done for no insurance and quite possibly attempted fraud.
But look on the bright side, you will have got away with it for the short amount of time you may have had the bike :rolleyes:

Soldato
You can say it's 33bhp and they may well believe you. But come the day you have an accident and need to claim, there engineers will be all over your bike like a bad rash (along with the Police's engineers). You will then end up with no cover at all, being done for no insurance and quite possibly attempted fraud.
But look on the bright side, you will have got away with it for the short amount of time you may have had the bike :rolleyes:

Yep.

IC3, the difference is my bike was restricted using the proper restrictors, I just bought them second hand and it took about 20 mins to do.

With the fuel injected SV650 (2003-), Suzuki supply a 33bhp restricted ECU. I assume they'll be making a 47bhp one too for the new rules. They're even easier to fit as they're plug and play.

Soldato
I've been with 3 insurance companies and they all wanted certificate proof of the 33bhp restrictor kit.
If you don't send the proof then you don't have insurance after 7/14 days!

Soldato

Present false deceleration to obtain insurance
No Insurance
Driving without a licence

Offences you want to front up to in court?

No? Didn't think so.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
But, it could be that I've bought a bike with the 33bhp certificate, but the bike didn't have these restrictions. This is possible, so there's always some sort of excuse...

Associate
I have no idea about the change to the A2 license, but when i passed (way back in 09) there was no legal requirement for PROOF of restriction. it just stated it had to be no greater than 25kW (33BHP) with a power/weight of 0.16kW/kg or less.

Insurance companies might ask for it, and so may the police, but legally, you didn't need to have it (it was a lot less hassle if you did have it though.)

Last edited:
Associate
I've never heard of anyone having their bike seized or tested for restriction. Vast majority of bikes come with ecu restrictors available now, you can swap them out in less than ten seconds.

Back
Top Bottom