Police Speed Guns - How long before the ticket?

Another "Speeding" thread. The difference is that I know it was my fault, I am just interested in knowing how long I have before I can breathe a sigh of relief and also how likely it is that I will get fined/ticketed?

I was driving down a dual carriage way, overtaking some cars, the speedometer showing 78/79mph (dial below 80) when I saw police women/men with a speedgun pointing at me on a narrow bridge above. I couldn't safely slow down so I carried on. No police car followed me and this would be my first offense.

It is a company car (black ford focus), so the company would be informed, but as I was not going that fast the worst I believe will happen is 3 points and a fine, though obviously I'd rather it did not.

It is totally my fault, I should have been going 70mph I know, but what can I expect? I know my speedometer is a little inaccurate so I was likely going around 73/74mph, would they bother following me up on that?

10% + 2mph is the accepted limit before fines and points so you'll be fine most probably at worst you'll get a speed awareness course but I highly doubt it.

78/79 on the speedo probably means you're really doing under 75, so you're probably/possibly fine - not to mention there's no guarantee they were scanning you with the speed gun.

As to your question, I think they have to inform you within 2 weeks that you've been done - either stating the points/fine/result there and then, or that you'll be contacted later with that info (I think this us up to 6 months and only if you've been even naughtier and have a courts summons). So, if your work doesn't hear anything in 2 weeks (plus a couple days for postage delays) then you're laughing, but I dont know how you can ask work this, without it making it sound like you've been ragging their car - guess it's down to how well you get on with whoever would receive such forms...

Thanks guys, thought this would be the case, just wanted to see what others thought. :)

78/79 on the speedo probably means you're really doing under 75, so you're probably/possibly fine - not to mention there's no guarantee they were scanning you with the speed gun.

As to your question, I think they have to inform you within 2 weeks that you've been done - either stating the points/fine/result there and then, or that you'll be contacted later with that info (I think this us up to 6 months and only if you've been even naughtier and have a courts summons). So, if your work doesn't hear anything in 2 weeks (plus a couple days for postage delays) then you're laughing, but I dont know how you can ask work this, without it making it sound like you've been ragging their car - guess it's down to how well you get on with whoever would receive such forms...

I won't mentionh it to work unless something comes through. Thanks for answering regarding 2 weeks, I will update this thread in around 2-3 weeks, if I forget, assume all was fine. Thanks all. :)

Was it a genuine PC ? Plenty of stories doing the rounds lately with people wearing a hi viz and pointing things such as hair dryers at cars to try getting them to slow down.

The 2mph+10% thing is only for cameras (because they aren't all that accurate) and the fake police vans manned by Capita. The actual police can still pull you over if your within that. But they probably would have done it on the spot.

Bad July, August for me. 33 and 34 in a 30, one ticket they took 2 readings, 43 and 44 in a 40 again two readings both in Bradford, been driving 12+ years first time ever been caught, I tend to stick to 30 or follow traffic speed.

Both camera vans and 100% my fault, not justifying or giving any excused.

First letter 8 days, offered a course.
Second letter 13 days, points and a fine.

No I am very cautious, really sticking to the limit or below, the amount of idiots I get right behind me is questioning should I speed back up :(

33 and 34 in a 30 seems unusual if it was a camera. Same with 44 in a 40.

Cutting it so fine is creating more of a distraction than making the road safer tbh.

I won't mentionh it to work unless something comes through. Thanks for answering regarding 2 weeks, I will update this thread in around 2-3 weeks, if I forget, assume all was fine. Thanks all. :)

Fyi it's 2 weeks to notify the registered keeper, not the driver, so you might not know about it for a while, but your employer will.

For what it's worth, at that speed there's a 99% chance they won't bother doing anything and you'll have gotten away with it.

I thought they had to issue a ticket there and then if they have a hand held gun?
I was driving the other day when a policeman was standing at the side of the road with a gun that he pointed at me twice. I thought I might have been just over the 30 limit but as I drove past he stepped out in the road and flagged down the next car behind that was obviously speeding to give him a ticket so I must have been ok

Speed limit Min speed for a speeding ticket Min speed for prosecution
30mph............. 35mph (3 points) then 50mph (prosecute)
40mph............. 46mph.................. 66mph
50mph..............57mph.................. 76mph
60mph.............. 68mph................. 86mph

the hardest to stick to is 35 in a 30 zone for me, because 30 seems too slow esp if the road can easily handle 40mph............... laser vans around here ONLY target 30mph zones, just as you're entering a village/town and always around a blind corner.

if you've received no letter after 2 weeks you'll be ok, because they usually arrive bang on 2 weeks later :mad::mad:

What about motorway is it 100+ for prosecution and points for anything between ?
It always annoys me on an empty motorway when 70 feels like your crawling there should be some leeway there I think

Back
Top Bottom