Policing speeders: The Pandemic method

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I don't know if this is current protocol or just coincidence but on four occasions I have seen police simply twinkle their lights to alert speeders of their presence, to which they of course immediately slow. The police do not continue to pull over and speak to the driver.

Two of the occasions were myself with what I think was the same undercover black audi estate. First time I'd come up behind and he twinkled a couple rear yellows at me, no pull though. Second time I suspected the car but it was doing 20+ above the limit so I slowed to it's pace directly along side it. Then it slowed to the limit and twinkled its blues at me but again qno pull.

The other two times weren't myself, the police were in another silver undercover audi saloon/coupe (I can't remember) and then the other was another (or I guess possibly the same, but it was a way different location) black audi estate as someone passed them.

No pull any time. But everyone slowed to the limit.

I like this new tactic. They're just reminding us the laws are still there!

Potentially less of an impact psychologically, than getting a talking to and verbal threat of a ticket/court - but still sufficient I think ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve had them do that to me on two separate several years ago, so it’s definitely not a new thing. I’d be surprised if they were doing less ticketing now but I guess you can only hope :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, I'd never seen it before. I've only ever been flashed and pulled.

I think it's quite decent, less invasive, less waste of both parties times, less paperwork (potentially)... more positives than negatives I can see.

I thought perhaps it was covid related, reducing contact etc., and hoped they'd carry this on after it's all over.

Soldato
A few times around me I've seen them sat at 60mph with lorries backed up behind them on the dual carriageway. Trying to catch speeding lorries I guess O_o

Soldato
Hadn't Manchester Constabulary announced a glut of excessive speeding fines during covid - so maybe they had other fish to fry,
presumably they have to put on some PPE too especially for breathalyzing.

can't they only prosecute for speeding if you were in front, or had overtaken, anyway - approach speed in rear view mirrors a bit subjective.

Soldato
I saw two two police men in a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX sitting in one of the parking bits inside a roundabout.

I floored it from the junction, saw them waving at me to slow down... So I did...

Probably knew their low powered vehicle had no hope. Heh... (jk)

Nice blokes.

Soldato
Only every been pulled over once for swerving after leaving a pub.
Spoke to me realised I hadn't drunk anything asked why I was swerving so much, which was because of potholes and having diamond cut wheels and 30 profile tyres at the time. He admired my car for a while and said good night on your way.
Never speed so that's not going to be an issue. But have known them to just remind people of the speed of it's only a bit over.

Commissario
I saw it happen to another car in a 50mph average speed zone on the M23, they were sitting on the bumper of another car flashing away until the car in front flicked on the flashing blues and they immediately backed off and switched lanes!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yep happened to me a few weeks ago.

Pulled onto the M40, accelerated down the slip road rather quickly with a brand new BMW 7 series hot in tail, after pulling onto the motorway let off, started cruising, he pulled infront gave me 2 flashes of the blues and a finger wag and drove off.

Back
Top Bottom