• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Polishing CPU Die

Associate
Gonna look into the temp issue again some time this week.. as my CPU delid is averaging 55c idle and ramps up to 83 on Cinebench.

This is definitely not normal under full water so perhaps I've not put enough LM on.. most videos seem to show a small pea sized blob, but I've only been applying grain of salt amount, so i'm guessing it's not 'wet' enough.

Failing that, i may polish the CPU as there seems to be a bit of residue left over which won't go away by applying LM.. but wonder in terms of polishing.. would you polish like how you would lap a cpu? - glass surface, cpu die flat and lap in figure 8 motion, or do you think it would be ok using finger pressure with a polish cloth. e.g. cape cod polish cloths (i have a few)

Specs in signature... running 24H2

Last edited:
Gonna look into the temp issue again some time this week.. as my CPU delid is averaging 55c idle and ramps up to 83 on Cinebench.

This is definitely not normal under full water so perhaps I've not put enough LM on.. most videos seem to show a small pea sized blob, but I've only been applying grain of salt amount, so i'm guessing it's not 'wet' enough.

Failing that, i may polish the CPU as there seems to be a bit of residue left over which won't go away by applying LM.. but wonder in terms of polishing.. would you polish like how you would lap a cpu? - glass surface, cpu die flat and lap in figure 8 motion, or do you think it would be ok using finger pressure with a polish cloth. e.g. cape cod polish cloths (i have a few)

Specs in signature... running 24H2
Just checking but you have been manually spreading the LM with a cotton bud right ? Both surfaces need to be covered.

With regards to polish you get Flitz polish or similar and rub the die. You don’t lap it like you described above.

Edit: also a pea sized blob is too much. You need as thin as possible on both surfaces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom