• HomePod mini - Yes

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Permabanned
I thought this guy's experience was really interesting. The HomePod is "too nosy" and butts in when you're trying to talk to your phone or your watch. Really highlights some of the incredible complexities involved.

http://bitsplitting.org/2018/02/15/the-nosiest-assistant/

This issue has been discussed previously which is why I continue to be impressed with Google Assistant, built into Google Home/Google Home Mini.

When I have the Google Home app loaded on a device such as my phone and I am anywhere near a Google Home device, Google Home automatically delivers the answer rather than the answer come through the phone's Google Assistant. So I do not get this "nosy" overplay you describe. It has determined that I want the question or service answered on Home not the phone or in fact on the optimal device. This is part of a bigger issue for Apple.

I mentioned previously that Siri is on iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Mac, iPad and HomePod and each instance is slightly different and has a different skill set. For example, Siri on Apple TV has a different set of skills than on the iPhone and the HomePod is incapable of doing some of the most basic things that are available on the iPhone. Furthermore, the third-party skills are all implemented on the Apple device. This is because SiriKit is a client-side SDK.

By contrast Google has implemented the intelligence and the third-party extensions in the cloud meaning that there is only one version sitting in the cloud that can be accessed from any enabled device. When a skill is enabled on one device, it is enabled on all of them giving complete uniformity of user experience.

So, as mentioned, Google Assistant is now so good at this that if two devices are in range of the voice it will answer the request on the device that is most suited to delivering the answer or service requested.

IMO, voice will become more important and Siri's fragmentation could lead to frustration with users.

Soldato
One of the biggest issues I have at the moment is voice recognition.

This should have been implemented day one.

For example, teenager at home on his on being able to play music at maximum volume results in having to turn off Siri just to prevent this.

Surely the HomePod should recognise who's asking it what and access/limitations be placed on the user using it at the time.

I don't even use the messaging or calendar stuff as people being able to send messages 'from me' when i'm not around is rather dodgy IMO.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I mentioned previously that Siri is on iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Mac, iPad and HomePod and each instance is slightly different and has a different skill set. For example, Siri on Apple TV has a different set of skills than on the iPhone and the HomePod is incapable of doing some of the most basic things that are available on the iPhone. Furthermore, the third-party skills are all implemented on the Apple device. This is because SiriKit is a client-side SDK.
I'm really surprised this didn't come up during Apple's testing. The guy article spoke in a normal voice to his watch while the HomePod was loudly playing music in the next room, and Siri responded from the HomePod!!

Soldato
Apple have already partly addressed the messages/calendar thing in 11.3. You can set it so it requires authorisation.

The HomePod software is pretty immature, I’d expect lots of changes to come in the future.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

For example, teenager at home on his on being able to play music at maximum volume results in having to turn off Siri just to prevent this.
Surely he/she could still use AirPlay? Or don't they have iPhone at all?

Permabanned

The HomePod software is pretty immature, I’d expect lots of changes to come in the future.

In other words, a rush job.

As mentioned, it is praised for music quality (although a couple of reviews I have posted say Google Home Max and Sonos Play 1 are better in music quality) but found wanting as a smart assistant.

Av8

Av8

Associate
In other words, a rush job.

As mentioned, it is praised for music quality (although a couple of reviews I have posted say Google Home Max and Sonos Play 1 are better in music quality) but found wanting as a smart assistant.

I’ve got the HomePod, also have Sonos play1 which has taken a back seat as far as the speakers are concerned. I will more than likely sell the Sonos, and when funds permit I will buy another HomePod.
HomePod is great for music, and you know what it sounds out the imperfections/cheap production quality of a lot of modern music…. yet play older music for example Hotel California by the Eagles and it sounds excellent. Can’t say the same for the Sonos I have.

As far as Siri on it, like all else in tech it will evolve and become better with more iterations of updates. Nothing is perfect.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ve got the HomePod, also have Sonos play1 which has taken a back seat as far as the speakers are concerned. I will more than likely sell the Sonos, and when funds permit I will buy another HomePod.
HomePod is great for music, and you know what it sounds out the imperfections/cheap production quality of a lot of modern music…. yet play older music for example Hotel California by the Eagles and it sounds excellent. Can’t say the same for the Sonos I have.

As far as Siri on it, like all else in tech it will evolve and become better with more iterations of updates. Nothing is perfect.
Woah, hang on... I have multiple Sonos Play1s and I wouldn’t call the quality less than excellent, by any means. The Echo is a device which is good at the automation but lacks in outright quality... the play1 is better but the HomePod is understandably “best” in terms of playback quality but lack at automation.

Given that I can buy 2x play1s for the cost of a HomePod and it comes with better voice integration, I’d say it’s the better value product.

Apple have been promising better Siri integration for years but I haven’t seen any major improvements in her command set for a looooooong time. Instead of pushing it to every device I’d rather they made it better and more universal first.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Woah, hang on... I have multiple Sonos Play1s and I wouldn’t call the quality less than excellent, by any means. The Echo is a device which is good at the automation but lacks in outright quality... the play1 is better but the HomePod is understandably “best” in terms of playback quality but lack at automation.

Given that I can buy 2x play1s for the cost of a HomePod and it comes with better voice integration, I’d say it’s the better value product.

Apple have been promising better Siri integration for years but I haven’t seen any major improvements in her command set for a looooooong time. Instead of pushing it to every device I’d rather they made it better and more universal first.

I’m not debating you can buy Sonos play 1’s cheaper, price wasn’t the discussion!!! I also wasn’t saying the quality is pants on the Sonos play 1’s, all I’m saying is I’ve tried both and the sound quality is better on the HomePod for me with the given music played.
The audio quality is lacking on a lot of music nowadays with cheaper production hence a cheaper sound, the quality of the music with older music/production is big the difference you can hear on the 2. Given fact, everyones hearing is different and more/less sensitive than others and will be a factor.

For me basic use of the smart’s on the speaker is fine, I’m not forever using Siri to ask question’s. I’ll continue using my brain/memory rather than ask Siri/Alexa/Google for stuff I’m still a bit old school lol. So HomePod is fine for me and will improve I’m sure with Siri updates.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yes, I know...but those saying sound quality is better should consider price. It’s not TWICE as good, so given the lack of Siri functionality that’s a valid point IMO.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Yes, I know...but those saying sound quality is better should consider price. It’s not TWICE as good, so given the lack of Siri functionality that’s a valid point IMO.

Yes you can consider price point, yes it is a better speaker, not saying it’s twice as good by any means but lack of Siri will improve I’m sure and as you’ll know Apple are taking extra measures to improve all Apple OS. So in time we’ll see.

I honestly prefer the sound from my HomePod over the Sonos, personal preference. :D

Permabanned

Until now, the measure of how good a digital assistant is, is based on asking it questions. Recent tests along a range of categories with 781 questions reveals Google in the lead at 81% correct, Amazon Alexa in second at 64% correct with Siri in last place at 52% correct. In Siri's case, it was tested on the HomePod which, as I mentioned previously, runs a different and distinct version of Siri, which reviewers have found to be far less capable that Siri on the iPhone (which some here have found disappointing).

But I think measuring digital assistants in this way will change and Apple has the further complication of trying to hit a moving target. As Google Assistant improves, I think it will be measured not in terms of simple question answering but also in understanding the context/circumstances when answering. It is the understanding of context that will make for a more intuitive and productive experience, saving the user time and money.

And yes, this will become all about Artificial Intelligence which is a very difficult problem to solve. Those companies with the best AI and most data will be best placed to win. I believe the general consensus here is that Google is out front on AI. And it has the most data by far.

For anyone interested in reading a thoughtful post on this subject I recently came across this link to the "Predictive Internet" which if achieved would be a considerable advance.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...tions-about-google-s-predictive-internet.html

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Apple has the further complication of trying to hit a moving target
A guy on a podcast was saying that one day his Google Home had an orange light on top that he'd not seen before. His first reaction was to say "hey google, what's up", and it turned out that he had a flight that day, which Google had picked up from his email, and there was a delay on the flight, and Google Assistant basically wanted him to know that. I know there's the whole privacy thing, and I personally can't stand Google, but I have to admit that it's pretty nifty to see that level of integration and assistance. Stuff that could truly make a big difference in your day.

Permabanned
A guy on a podcast was saying that one day his Google Home had an orange light on top that he'd not seen before. His first reaction was to say "hey google, what's up", and it turned out that he had a flight that day, which Google had picked up from his email, and there was a delay on the flight, and Google Assistant basically wanted him to know that. I know there's the whole privacy thing, and I personally can't stand Google, but I have to admit that it's pretty nifty to see that level of integration and assistance. Stuff that could truly make a big difference in your day.

I appreciate your "privacy thing", but aside from that, it is pretty cool.

Associate
Purchased a white HomePod this afternoon very impressed with the sound quality & volume range.

Perfect addition to use with my Apple Tv too, one satisfied customer.

Plus its sitting on a nice coaster so no rings on the woodwork ;)

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom