1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: ** The official Apple HomePod thread **

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Feek, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Are you going to buy an Apple HomePod

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

33 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. pcfarrar

Gangster

No there wouldn't be any easy way around it.

2. Faustus

Mobster

3. haszek

Hitman

I wish there was a way to lower volume of siri's answers :rolleyes: she's shouting

4. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

I'd love to disable her feedback also if you ask her to turn on/off a light or change something that doesn't really require feedback.

The microphone range is insane though, she can hear me downstairs and and the HomePod is in my bedroom.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. JamesM

Soldato

So I caved and ordered one, sound quality is superb for the size.

Software needs to improve but that can be done remotely.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. EyeDot

Man of Honour

One thing I find strange, I cant control it using my voice with the iPhone.

If I say Siri, volume down, or Siri Pause. it tells me I've no music playing.

I have to say, I was expecting it to have a little more intelligence than that... Maybe a future upgrade.

It feels like a v0.8 Beta tbh!

7. haszek

Hitman

Yeah I thought Siri is supposed to activate on the best/closest device when you say hey Siri. So that it doesn't matter which device. But Siri on the phone doesn't see Homepod, only phone sees it. I think it's because siri doesn't work with multi room yet. Also Homepod is already assigned to a room but we can't create scenes with it :/ hopefully they will update it soon. It will be cool to switch off Homepod when you leave home etc.

Maybe not long to wait
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/22/homepod-homekit-scenes-for-muting-siri/

BTW there is apple tv as well on those icons, I read somewhere that in 11.3 beta ATV is already showing in homekit so might be able to be part of automation soon

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. danielanthony

Wise Guy

Using mine mainly as a desktop speaker for my MacBook, works really well and can't wait to get another for the 'FullRoom' experience.

9. pcfarrar

Gangster

10. sesevans

Hitman

11. haszek

Hitman

12. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

I'll take the review with actual measurements, thanks.

As he said:
    It drops off quickly below 40hz anyway, physics and all that. Hopefully with all the audio engineering team they've been hiring the last few years they'll come up with something more full range that measures as well so I won't have to keep dreaming of owning a pair of Kii Threes.

13. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

I'm truly shocked that you would post the only report I've seen that claims the Max and the Sonos One sound better, wait I'm not really shocked. If you aren't actually being paid by Google then maybe you should be..

14. mrgubby

Mobster

He's a Google Bot :)

15. JamesM

Soldato

Have had that feeling for a while!

16. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

It's also worth noting that the CR review was done in an anechoic listening room. This is fine and dandy if you buy speakers to use in a treated studio but that is not 99.999% of people and the design of the HomePod is based around actively using/working with a reflective environment (i.e. a normal kitchen/living or bedroom), not an unreflective one.

17. pcfarrar

Gangster

Consumer reports has been anti Apple for over 10 years. They generally post negative stuff about every Apple product. These are the same idiots that said the iPhone 8 is better than the X :rolleyes:

18. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

I'm looking forward to this hitting the Irish market. Don't need an Adobe Sub anymore, so will likely try Apple Music with it as well.

Only negative review I've read for the sound quality is that Consumer Report one sofar. Saw the folks at r/audiophile are singing praises for the sound quality over all.

Would be nice if it had a connection for Windows Systems as well. Would have liked to try two at my windows system in stereo.

19. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

If you can't wait for the iOS update that enables stereo, here's a (kind of) temporary solution...

20. Somnambulist

Sgarrista