Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
Thanks to the movies anywhere agreement UV codes registered as part of a UV account will now stream on Apple TV as an iTunes movies and the HD versions will stream as HDR and 4k free upgrades available.

Soldato
Thanks to the movies anywhere agreement UV codes registered as part of a UV account will now stream on Apple TV as an iTunes movies and the HD versions will stream as HDR and 4k free upgrades available.

I’ve been buying films through vudu for a few weeks now, I have my vudu and iTunes account linked with moviesanywhere, it’s good because the new movies hit vudu/UV etc a lot quicker than iTunes digital codes.

Should get my code for It in a few days along with Dark tower.

Soldato
Just read and all 2016 OLED models can only do Dolby Vision at 4K 30Hz. All 2017 models support it at 60Hz.

Bit of a bummer but not an issue when watching movies and would be no issue if the Apple TV auto switched between inputs.

Moogleys having given it a dry run yesterday, 4k HDR @ 60hz on the 2017 OLED screens is not a problem for me. It looks great with no judder.

edit: have tried the above regarding movies anywhere and itunes/vudu codes. I think it is a game changer. £14 or £5 per film? and then Apple upgrades your HD movie to 4k Dolby Vision for nothing.

It is not like hollywood or apple to do this, did someone just make a mistake? :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Everything I've been hearing about movies anywhere sounds amazing!! Thought it was US only?

Soldato
Everything I've been hearing about movies anywhere sounds amazing!! Thought it was US only?

It is US only but you can still watch them over here, setup a US iTunes account and any movies you buy through VUDU will port to moviesanywhere and iTunes once you’ve linked them together.

Associate
You dont even need anything as complicated as a VPN just Hola with chrome will work to setup the movies anywhere account then the apple TV will link the connected movies to the US iTunes account without any form of VPN proxy.

Also movies bought in HD of HDX in ultraviolet or VUDU are NOT upgraded to 4k by apple.

Soldato
You dont even need anything as complicated as a VPN just Hola with chrome will work to setup the movies anywhere account then the apple TV will link the connected movies to the US iTunes account without any form of VPN proxy.

Also movies bought in HD of HDX in ultraviolet or VUDU are NOT upgraded to 4k by apple.

Yes they are, i bought Mad Max, Passengers, Batman v Superman, Man of Steel, War for the planet of the Apes, SpiderMan Homecoming and Wonder Woman, all were redeemed through VUDU using HDX digital codes, synced with Moviesanywhere and iTunes and all of them show as 4K on my Apple TV.

What are you talking about?

Associate
Soldato
See this thread with apples response https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-clarification-of-free-4k-upgrade.2078741/#post-25242776

If the codes you have redeems on Vudu say you 'own' the film in 4K not HDX then it will be 4K on The Apple tv.

If it redeemed in Vudu and you own the HDX then the iTunes version will 'just be HD' - rather than looking at the tab in iTunes play the files and swipe down on the controller which will show you what your getting.

I've just tried, everything apart from Alien: Covenant and Man of Steel play in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision, i guess it's pot luck which one works or not but 2 out of 9 isn't bad i suppose, something i'll look out for though.

Associate
In short if you are buying a code a want to make sure you get 4K you need to either buy a 4k UV code or as would be simpler buy the iTunes code to be sure you get 4k

Soldato
In short if you are buying a code a want to make sure you get 4K you need to either buy a 4k UV code or as would be simpler buy the iTunes code to be sure you get 4k

Yeah unfortunately not all the new films have an iTunes code, Spiderman homecoming is only available via HDX, only way to get it to iTunes is through Moviesanywhere, luckily it plays in 4K through iTunes.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It is US only but you can still watch them over here, setup a US iTunes account and any movies you buy through VUDU will port to moviesanywhere and iTunes once you’ve linked them together.
Man this is heady stuff. I've just created MoviesAnywhere and Vudu accounts -- I need to come up with an alternate email address to register a US iTunes account. Is there a site that tracks where the cheapest coupons are for buying movies? Do you have to still access these sites via VPN, or once the accounts are creates you can access them from the UK no problem?

Soldato
Man this is heady stuff. I've just created MoviesAnywhere and Vudu accounts -- I need to come up with an alternate email address to register a US iTunes account. Is there a site that tracks where the cheapest coupons are for buying movies? Do you have to still access these sites via VPN, or once the accounts are creates you can access them from the UK no problem?

I can login to moviesanywhere from the UK and VUDU but sometimes it'll ask me to login again on VUDU and it'll fail until i go through a VPN or Hola etc.

Not one that tracks where the cheapest are but one that shows all the websites that supply codes.

http://ultravioletcinema.com/marketplace.php

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I can login to moviesanywhere from the UK and VUDU but sometimes it'll ask me to login again on VUDU and it'll fail until i go through a VPN or Hola etc.

Not one that tracks where the cheapest are but one that shows all the websites that supply codes.

http://ultravioletcinema.com/marketplace.php
Cheers, thanks for the excellent info! Looks like an Apple TV 4K may be going on my shopping list.

Soldato
See this thread with apples response https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-clarification-of-free-4k-upgrade.2078741/#post-25242776

If the codes you have redeems on Vudu say you 'own' the film in 4K not HDX then it will be 4K on The Apple tv.

If it redeemed in Vudu and you own the HDX then the iTunes version will 'just be HD' - rather than looking at the tab in iTunes play the files and swipe down on the controller which will show you what your getting.

Obviously I would prefer a 4k HDR/Dolby Vision presentation and people should know what they are buying into but honestly, having purchased some of these latest titles for £2-£5 a pop I am not too bothered if some of them don't upgrade to 4k.

It is nice to have Baywatch 'the movie' in 4k but I would obviously rather pay £2 for this title and if its in 1080p then fine. I will however try to buy Itunes HD codes whenever possible.

My hit-rate is as follows for HDX codes displaying as 4k Itunes through MA. Verified via my Ipad.

Wonder Woman - OK
Skull Island - OK
Pirates Dead Men Tell No Tales - No
Mad Max Fury Road - OK
Guardians 2 - No
Spiderman Homecoming - OK
Logan - OK
Captain Underpants - No
War for the Planet of the Apes - OK

Everything else was an Itunes HD code and is showing as 4k.

Edit. If i flick back to VUDU and login directly via the VUDU website - Pirates and Guardians 2 are all logged as UHD versions. Both films show Dolby Vision+Atmos enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, Skull Island not working for me. I purchased from Happy Watching and redeemed directly with MA. Shows 4K DV before playing then HD when pressing down during playback. Other movies purchased via iTunes codes working fine in 4K.

Not too fussed but there are definitely some exceptions to the rule it seems!

Wonder Woman - OK
Skull Island - OK
Pirates Dead Men Tell No Tales - No
Mad Max Fury Road - OK
Guardians 2 - No
Spiderman Homecoming - OK
Logan - OK
Captain Underpants - No
War for the Planet of the Apes - OK

Associate
My hit-rate is as follows for HDX codes displaying as 4k Itunes through MA. Verified via my Ipad.

The second gen iPad pro will stream HDR but doesn't do 4k only way to verify what version of a film you true have is to start playing it on a 4k apple tv and swipe down.

Back
Top Bottom