Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-4k/

Apple-TV-4K.png

Cupertino, California — Apple today introduced the new Apple TV 4K designed to deliver a stunning cinematic experience at home. With support for both 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR), Apple TV 4K features unbelievably sharp, crisp images, richer, more true-to-life colors, and far greater detail in both dark and bright scenes. With Apple TV 4K, viewers can enjoy a growing selection of 4K HDR movies on iTunes. iTunes users will get automatic upgrades of HD titles in their existing iTunes library to 4K HDR versions when they become available. Apple TV 4K will also offer 4K HDR content from popular video services, including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, coming soon.1

“Bring the magic of the cinema straight to your living room with the new Apple TV 4K,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “Customers will love watching stunning 4K HDR movies from an impressive catalog on iTunes, while also getting automatic upgrades of 4K HDR movies already in their iTunes library and enjoying 4K content on services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, coming soon.”

Built on the groundbreaking A10X Fusion chip — the same chip that powers iPad Pro — the new Apple TV 4K delivers a vivid 4K HDR experience.
  • Support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 ensures users can enjoy incredible-looking TV shows and movies on any HDR TV.
  • Built-in high-performance 4K video scaler makes HD content look better than ever on a 4K TV.
  • Always outputting to the highest resolution possible allows viewers to get the most out of their TV, whether it’s an older HDTV or the latest 4K Dolby Vision OLED.
  • Automatic detection of a 4K TV’s capabilities optimizes setup for the best quality picture.

Who's picking up one of these then?

I'm going to pop by an Apple Store on my way into work on Friday and get a 32gb version and put the 4th Gen one we have into the bedroom.

Associate
OP
I'm struggling to see the point in the Apple TV. If you're after 4K HDR then you'll already have a decent TV which will likely have the likes of Netflix and Amazon apps. So the only purpose of the Apple TV appears to be play iTune content.

That is certainly the major pull for owning an Apple TV. I have an ever growing library of iTunes movies that will now be given a free UHD upgrade which is pretty massive.

Associate
OP
The HDR thing is intentional as some tvs apparently take a few seconds to switch HDR on and off - never noticed this on my tv though. I expect an auto mode will get added if enough people moan.

4k itunes movies do look great on though and US itune movies work without a VPN - lots of cheap digital copies about over there - got Alien Covenant for £4...

Yep-my iTunes movie collection is all US based and I have about 70 odd films that have been given a free UHD upgrade. Good times.

Associate
OP
Loving the 4K-ness that Apple have applied to about 70 of my films. Watched Wonder Woman tonight on my 2014 Samsung SDR UHD TV and it looked fantastic so you lucky lot with your OLED/HDR/DV TV’s will be in for a treat.

Associate
OP
It’s awesome of Apple to do that, their 4K films are priced very good too, Logan in 4K for £10, it’s £20 everywhere else.

I’ve ordered one too. I’m not sure why they are priced so close together though, £180 and £200 for double the space, seems a no brainier.

When using the 4th gen 32gb, I got nowhere near maxing out the storage so getting the 32gb for the 4K was a no brainer. If you intend on playing lots of games on there then you’ll be fine with the 64gb.

Associate
OP
But that means I’ll have to use a random account on my Apple TV to watch the stuff I’ve bought in the US but change over to my regular account to watch my purchased uk content?

Seems like too much hassle tbh.

It’s not as much hassle as your thinking.

Plus any UK/US apps you download stay on your homepage-they don’t disappear when switching between your accounts.

Associate
OP
Just finished watching Transformers: The Last Knight-absolutely stunning. You’d be hard pushed to tell any difference between the 4K streaming version and the disc. And even if you could, it would be negligible at best.

Associate
OP
How does apple tv work if I want to transfer video from Ipad to my TV? I'm using streaming TV applications on ipad would it be worth it? Let's say BT sports app, would picture quality be decent while airplayed from ipad?

I've found BT Sport to be of an acceptable standard when Airplaying it to my ATV's around the house.

Associate
OP
Apologies if I'm being dense, but how do the 4K UV codes work? I have a Apple TV 4K en route (selling my prev gen soon!)...

From what I've read you login the ATV with US iTunes account, don't quite get though which app you use Movies, iTunes, Moviesanywhere, VUDU to play the films?

Do you buy the codes, claim them on VUDU/Moviesanywhere, which is then linked to your US iTunes account, so you can then play them on ATV?

I personally use iTunes to view my films as I have many that have been upgraded to 4K. Vudu app you will need a VPN.
MA app works fine but is organised by most recent film you redeemed.

Warner/Sony Films are UV only so you’d redeem the codes in MA. They’ll then port over to your accounts providing they are linked. Only snag is that they’ll only port over as HD even if there is a 4K version in iTunes/Vudu.

If you want 4k films, redeem in Vudu or iTunes directly and they’ll port over to all the other services.

Back
Top Bottom