Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

New TVOS 11.2 beta includes display mode switching.

tvOS 11.2 includes new features, bug fixes, and security improvements in the OS and SDK, including:
- Automatic mode switching to native frame rate and dynamic range of video content with Apple TV 4K
- Support for switching Apple TV 4K display output to SDR for apps that are GPU-bound when running in HDR
- Restoring Unwatched category in Home Sharing for Movies, TV Shows, and Home Videos
The mode switching is going to make a lot of nerds very happy. It's sounding more and more like the Apple TV 4K is the premier set top box, in terms of support for all the various standards.

Associate
The mode switching is going to make a lot of nerds very happy. It's sounding more and more like the Apple TV 4K is the premier set top box, in terms of support for all the various standards.

Great news, really surprised that Apple have listened to what the community wanted. :D

There is a video of it in action here:

Associate
How does apple tv work if I want to transfer video from Ipad to my TV? I'm using streaming TV applications on ipad would it be worth it? Let's say BT sports app, would picture quality be decent while airplayed from ipad?

Associate
OP
How does apple tv work if I want to transfer video from Ipad to my TV? I'm using streaming TV applications on ipad would it be worth it? Let's say BT sports app, would picture quality be decent while airplayed from ipad?

I've found BT Sport to be of an acceptable standard when Airplaying it to my ATV's around the house.

Soldato
Apologies if I'm being dense, but how do the 4K UV codes work? I have a Apple TV 4K en route (selling my prev gen soon!)...

From what I've read you login the ATV with US iTunes account, don't quite get though which app you use Movies, iTunes, Moviesanywhere, VUDU to play the films?

Do you buy the codes, claim them on VUDU/Moviesanywhere, which is then linked to your US iTunes account, so you can then play them on ATV?

Associate
OP
Apologies if I'm being dense, but how do the 4K UV codes work? I have a Apple TV 4K en route (selling my prev gen soon!)...

From what I've read you login the ATV with US iTunes account, don't quite get though which app you use Movies, iTunes, Moviesanywhere, VUDU to play the films?

Do you buy the codes, claim them on VUDU/Moviesanywhere, which is then linked to your US iTunes account, so you can then play them on ATV?

I personally use iTunes to view my films as I have many that have been upgraded to 4K. Vudu app you will need a VPN.
MA app works fine but is organised by most recent film you redeemed.

Warner/Sony Films are UV only so you’d redeem the codes in MA. They’ll then port over to your accounts providing they are linked. Only snag is that they’ll only port over as HD even if there is a 4K version in iTunes/Vudu.

If you want 4k films, redeem in Vudu or iTunes directly and they’ll port over to all the other services.

Soldato

Any film you buy you can redeem through VUDU and it will transfer to MA if it has the MA symbol next to the film, like this:

bYG9I6r.png

Now, some films that are produced by Sony/WB won't port to MA and can't be redeemed through VUDU, any UV code can be redeemed through VUDU or MA if the symbol in VUDU shows MA.

If you redeem a code through iTunes, Apple will upgrade that to 4K IF there is a 4K version available. If you redeem a HD copy through VUDU, you'll receive a HD copy through iTunes if it's available on MA.

If you redeem a 4K code through VUDU and it is MA, you'll get 4K in iTunes.

Also as i found out, if you redeem a HD code through VUDU, iTunes will NOT upgrade that film to 4K, it MUST BE a 4K code if not redeeming through iTunes.

I hope that's clear enough. :)

Soldato
Cheers guys! Makes more sense, tbh looking at our iTunes UK store, there isn't that much difference in price? Only seems to be £1-3 difference. For that small difference I'd be happy to spend it so it's more fluid and in one library on my account.

Either that or I'm not finding any of the bargain UV codes!? :p

Soldato
Cheers guys! Makes more sense, tbh looking at our iTunes UK store, there isn't that much difference in price? Only seems to be £1-3 difference. For that small difference I'd be happy to spend it so it's more fluid and in one library on my account.

Either that or I'm not finding any of the bargain UV codes!? :p

I’ll send you a link through trust, much cheaper buying digital codes instead of iTunes.

The most I’ve paid for a film so far is $8 and that was Dunkirk. :)

Soldato
I noticed a few films direct through iTunes are cheaper from the UK by around £2 for new releases, Thor: Ragnarok is £14 here but $20 is the US meaning it's £2 more expensive. The big benefit being they are available way before they hit the UK.

I redeemed Atomic Blonde through my US iTunes 3 days ago and it's available to watch, still only pre-order in the UK until the 2nd of December.

Soldato
dont know if it has been discussed prior but the 8 film harry potter collection is up on the U.S apple store in 4k Dolby Vision. List is $79.99. $58.95 UV UHD.

Back
Top Bottom