• iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
What do you guys think of this review, (found it on the MR site but is actually by the Guardian), fair or unfair? https://www.theguardian.com/technol...8-plus-review-big-phablet-camera-battery-life

It reads like a biased review to me. Yes there flaws with the 8, but calling the design 'rubbish' is just silly. I still think the design of my 6s+ is very nice and holds up well against most new phones, so I'm not sure what he's on about.

The fact he called it a 'phablet' is odd too, to many people it's a normal size for a phone now. His main criticism is the design, in black I think it's a very nice looking phone, I've never been a fan of them in white.

I haven't watced MKBHD's review yet, it's worth remembering he generally prefers Android, but he's also quite fair.

Soldato
I do think the design of the 8/8 Plus is somewhat dated now - after all, aside from the glass back, it is pretty much the same as the 6 from 2014. It still holds up pretty well though. I do much prefer the look of my S8+, but despite the S8+ looking better, I much prefer using my iPhone 8 Plus. So clearly, dated design or not, it doesn't matter one jot to me.

Soldato
It reads like a biased review to me. Yes there flaws with the 8, but calling the design 'rubbish' is just silly. I still think the design of my 6s+ is very nice and holds up well against most new phones, so I'm not sure what he's on about.

The fact he called it a 'phablet' is odd too, to many people it's a normal size for a phone now. His main criticism is the design, in black I think it's a very nice looking phone, I've never been a fan of them in white.

I haven't watced MKBHD's review yet, it's worth remembering he generally prefers Android, but he's also quite fair.

I'm not sure he is being biased. I think he's calling out Apple for churning out the same phone year after year. I suspect that the iPhone 8/8 Plus would not have been released this year, or again, if Apple could have secured significant display volume supply for the X. I note the ordinary 8 has at last got better battery life, better late than never. My iPhone 7 is lucky to last the day.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure he is being biased. I think he's calling out Apple for churning out the same phone year after year. I suspect that the iPhone 8/8 Plus would not have been released this year, or again, if Apple could have secured significant display volume supply for the X. I note the ordinary 8 has at last got better battery life, better late than never. My iPhone 7 is lucky to last the day.

The 8 isn't the top end phone now, it's basically an upgraded 7, what would have been the 7s. They want people to buy the X so they aren't going to jazz up the 8 too much.

Let's be honest, all the manufacturers are guilty of churning out incremental updates every year, it's been like this for many years now. Even the X isn't anything that special in terms of design.

The iPhone 7 battery life is very good so I'm not sure what's up there.

Soldato
The 8 isn't the top end phone now, it's basically an upgraded 7, what would have been the 7s. They want people to buy the X so they aren't going to jazz up the 8 too much.

Let's be honest, all the manufacturers are guilty of churning out incremental updates every year, it's been like this for many years now. Even the X isn't anything that special in terms of design.

The iPhone 7 battery life is very good so I'm not sure what's up there.

Not sure I agree. The iPhone 8/8+ is a a top end phone. It is faster than anything else on the market. The only place that it is not class leading is it's screen/front aesthetic.

I know the big Android players have been pushing 'edge' screens but they do have their disadvantages. Just as distorting images and accidental presses. One is not better than the other and it's down to personal preference.

You're last line hits the nail on the head, it is nothing more than a evolution of what came before. The current Samsung line up is exactly the same, hardly any different to the previous generation.

The question remains, what do you expect them to actually do? Phones pretty much all look the same and have the same features. Just buy what you like...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure I agree. The iPhone 8/8+ is a a top end phone. It is faster than anything else on the market. The only place that it is not class leading is it's screen/front aesthetic.

I know the big Android players have been pushing 'edge' screens but they do have their disadvantages. Just as distorting images and accidental presses. One is not better than the other and it's down to personal preference.

You're last line hits the nail on the head, it is nothing more than a evolution of what came before. The current Samsung line up is exactly the same, hardly any different to the previous generation.

The question remains, what do you expect them to actually do? Phones pretty much all look the same and have the same features. Just buy what you like...

Note I said 'the' top end phone, as in Apple. It isn't Apple's top end phone and they aren't pretending it is.

I agree it's a great phone and I personally think it's the best on the market, but it will be overtaken by the X quite soon.

Associate
I think the X is on a slightly different market segment really - Ultra premium. Think most people have figured this out. Cheap phones are getting good and good phones are getting cheaper. Most phones do the basics well know it's the extra's and the brand that people are happy to pay for.

Soldato
I think the X is on a slightly different market segment really - Ultra premium. Think most people have figured this out. Cheap phones are getting good and good phones are getting cheaper. Most phones do the basics well know it's the extra's and the brand that people are happy to pay for.

A market segment that Apple have just made up themselves. I don't feel it deserves it at all. IMO they should have launched it at £800 and had the 8 and 8+ as the lower and midrange products and got rid of the iPhone SE.
But Apple know that people will pay £/$1000, so **** it.

Associate
Nobody before has tried to sell the same phone design for 4 years, with technology moving forward, this is just.... I hope it's gonna be visible on their quarterly profits. Iphone X will not be able to fill the demand, not that many people will buy iphone 8, in the end Apple should loose.
Giving the same design was a fail already for iphone 7 but people who wanted to stay with ecosystem had no choice.

Caporegime
I'll pick up an 8 when the prices bottom out in a few months. Did the same with the 6S. Ended up paying £30 a month for it on O2 for 24 months.

A similar deal on an iPhone 8 is well over 50% more currently.

Associate
I'll pick up an 8 when the prices bottom out in a few months. Did the same with the 6S. Ended up paying £30 a month for it on O2 for 24 months.

A similar deal on an iPhone 8 is well over 50% more currently.

Don’t forget the base 6s was £540 at launch. The base 8 is £700 so expect any falls to be proportional.

Soldato
Nobody before has tried to sell the same phone design for 4 years, with technology moving forward, this is just.... I hope it's gonna be visible on their quarterly profits. Iphone X will not be able to fill the demand, not that many people will buy iphone 8, in the end Apple should loose.
Giving the same design was a fail already for iphone 7 but people who wanted to stay with ecosystem had no choice.

I reckon due to manufacturing stocks for screens that the iPhone 8 has remained as is, could have probably called it a 7S but it’s the A11 chip behind it and what it’s capable of that made this a new iteration.

I fully suspect next year when the screen stock is in a better place the 9 will have much smaller bezels all round the phone.

Soldato
I have noticed a few annoying issues, the first one is the iPhone not copying certain text, i just tried to upload through imgur but it wouldn't copy the BB code, even though the whole line of text was highlighted. It also wouldn't let me copy certain parts of a message, i have to copy the whole message and delete the bits i don't need.

Also noticed when using Instagram, i'll go through the explore photos section and sometime no matter which picture i try to view, it brings up an old picture i was viewing the last time i used the app, more the app though than the phone.

Some notifications don't like to clear either, i'll click the x and it just keeps sliding from side to side, doesn't delete the notification.

Back
Top Bottom