• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Sadly yes, it's currently plugged into my iMac whilst I'm browsing. Nothing. :(
Have you tried a hard reset?

To perform a hard reboot on the iPhone X, press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then do the same for the Volume Down button. Follow up by pressing the Side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off — about 10 seconds. Keep holding the Side button and release when the device turns back onto its Apple boot screen.

Soldato
Have you tried a hard reset?

To perform a hard reboot on the iPhone X, press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then do the same for the Volume Down button. Follow up by pressing the Side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off — about 10 seconds. Keep holding the Side button and release when the device turns back onto its Apple boot screen.

Yep, tried that, but zero response. But thanks anyway.

Man of Honour
No worries. Quite odd how it appears to have bricked itself. I take it iTunes doesn’t recognise the phone?

At least you’re safe in the knowledge Apple with either fix it there and then or give you a quibble free replacement.

Soldato
Yes, it's a bit worrying! No, iTunes doesn't recognise it.

But as you say, should be a hassle free fix/swap out.

I'm going to keep trying the button combination though, just in case. :)

Soldato
Can you put it in DFU mode?

I didn’t know what that was until I just Googled it!

Anyway, good news. Although I feel a bit embarrassed! I took it into the Apple store and the ‘Genius’ did the Volume Up/Down and Side button combination and the phone came back to life! :o I did feel a bit of a fool! Even though I must have tried myself a dozen times. :rolleyes::)

Soldato
Glad you got it sorted.

DFU mode used to be a regular thing for me during the early days of jailbreaking. Not that i bother jailbreaking my iPhone any more but it's a handy thing to know as you can often save a phone which appears to be bricked.

Soldato
I didn’t know what that was until I just Googled it!

Anyway, good news. Although I feel a bit embarrassed! I took it into the Apple store and the ‘Genius’ did the Volume Up/Down and Side button combination and the phone came back to life! :o I did feel a bit of a fool! Even though I must have tried myself a dozen times. :rolleyes::)
Glad it’s sorted...

Soldato
So a few (short) thoughts of the Max after just a few hours coming from my 8 plus.
Still syncing my 3500 pictures and videos so can’t make too much of a judgement on speed, seems snappier by a small amount.

Camera so far being the biggest noticeable improvement, with the difference being rather large in low light.
Strangely it ain’t as bright as the 8, but a nicer more natural looking screen.
Not on par with the Note 9 for watching media on YouTube.
Speakers a slight improvement on the 8.
Not really missing the home button yet and faceID works a treat, scanned my face with no glasses on but seems to unlock with no problem if I put them on.
About time we should be able to put more icons per row on the home screen. .
Power button was irritatingly slow to lock the phone, then realised its now the button for Apple Pay ha

Associate
Not to start a war, but here to share my experience after switching. Have my XS Max for a little over a month now. I came from a Note8 (still using it) and my main phone is the XS Max. The last iPhone I used was an iPhone 5, and I didnt really enjoy that phone.
Things I miss from Android:
- Dual time zone clock when roaming. I am a frequent traveller and with my Note8 this will automatically show on my lock screen as soon as I switch off airplane mode when in a different country.
- Organizing the grid of icons is a pain compared to Android. (I knew this from the start, but really really annoying).
- Agree with the poster above that media consumption on my older Note8 is a more pleasant experience compared to the XS Max.
- Apps dont truly multitask. ie Downloading offline songs in Spotify require me to stay in the Spotify app with the screen timeout set to an extended time. With my Note8 I can download songs with the screen locked or when having other apps open.
- USB C port

Things I like:
- FaceID works great. Not missing the fingerprint scanner at all.
- Gestures works great and is very intuitive. I got used to it quickly that when I use my Note8 I sometimes find myself doing the same gestures on it.
- AirDrop is awesome.

Will be keeping the XS Max and hoping for a USB C iPhone next year. Also waiting for my 12.9" iPad pro to come. (Currently using a Tab S3, which isnt really comparable to the iPad)

Caporegime
Quick question.

Does the XR need a USB to lightning to fast charge?

Or can it use a normal fast charge plug and a usb A to lighting cable?

Seems crazy. My S9 can fast charge from USB A to C.

Soldato
Yep, the cost of it is mental. I have a lightning to C cable and an Apple C adapter (only because the it's the charger for my MBP) and if I'm honest I don't think it charges that much quicker than it does from one of my Mac's USB ports. For some reason the Mac itself seems to charge an iPhone really quickly so that's the way to do it for those with Macs. Not much use for those who don't have a Mac but it sure as hell isn't worth splashing out £70 for.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, the cost of it is mental. I have a lightning to C cable and an Apple C adapter (only because the it's the charger for my MBP) and if I'm honest I don't think it charges that much quicker than it does from one of my Mac's USB ports. For some reason the Mac itself seems to charge an iPhone really quickly so that's the way to do it for those with Macs. Not much use for those who don't have a Mac but it sure as hell isn't worth splashing out £70 for.

It looks like it's possible to use a third-party USB-C charger that supports USB-C PD: https://www.imore.com/best-fast-and-cheap-usb-c-iphone-8-iphone-x-chargers

Soldato
Oh that's cool, I stand corrected. I could've sworn that wasn't the case at least when the 8/X first came out :) Takes the total cost down to something more like £40 all in then.

Arguably still a bit expensive but for those who already have a USB PD charger around it's not too bad when all you need is a C to lightning cable.

Back
Top Bottom