Poor landscaping work - garden resembles a swamp

In my experience, traders want to do things their way, and if you question it they get all funny about it. Will not get funny about charging you £10000000 a day though.
Most people get a bit funny if some randomer starts telling them how to do their job (even if they're doing it totally wrong).

Other issue is, if you insist on a different way you are crap out of luck if something goes wrong.

Take this install, if the OP had insisted on a specific way of doing the lawn area and it hadn't worked the contractor would have just shrugged his shoulders.
Fair points!

Although perhaps they could research the newly proposed way before implementing. Could save them hassle in the long run... And avoid situations like OP is experiencing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Out in the garden I can see a container of this stuff (https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product...a latex,dampness and continuous water contact.) laying around. That gives me some confidence that he may follow the recommended process.

I can always reference the other contractor and say something like "I want to make sure that the patios are being laid with a slurry mix and SBR primer". The fact the container of SBR is there makes me think I probably don't need to do that.

I'm going to also ask him where the aco was bought from some I can buy some spare grilles and have an attempt at addressing the mess around the soil pipe by cutting it at 45 degree angles. It bugs me every time I look at it.

He may just be putting it in the mix rather than brushing with a slurry, I think you can tell they didn't use it as a slurry first time round because the slabs came away easy from the base, when done properly they don't lift like that.

Small update: Annoyingly I was text this morning to say he won't be coming until next Monday. He is going back to the other job he is working on so they will release some money which will fund my job.

I'm 50/50 what to do next. My head is telling me to wait it out and let him complete it although he could well let me down again next Monday which would then be 3 weeks of delays. My heart is telling me to put all his tools out the front and tell him to come and back them up then finding someone else to finish the job. Given that I'd need to wait for someone else's availability i'm not sure that's the quickest route but it would (hopefully!) mean it's done properly. I'd then have to take the original guy to court but i'm getting the impression he doesn't have a pot to **** in so I might be out of pocket getting the job finished.

In terms of what is outstanding, the turf area has had drainage installed and covered in shingle ready for topsoil and turf. The aco has been installed around the edge so the paving needs to be relaid.

Small update: Annoyingly I was text this morning to say he won't be coming until next Monday. He is going back to the other job he is working on so they will release some money which will fund my job.

I'm 50/50 what to do next. My head is telling me to wait it out and let him complete it although he could well let me down again next Monday which would then be 3 weeks of delays. My heart is telling me to put all his tools out the front and tell him to come and back them up then finding someone else to finish the job. Given that I'd need to wait for someone else's availability i'm not sure that's the quickest route but it would (hopefully!) mean it's done properly. I'd then have to take the original guy to court but i'm getting the impression he doesn't have a pot to **** in so I might be out of pocket getting the job finished.

In terms of what is outstanding, the turf area has had drainage installed and covered in shingle ready for topsoil and turf. The aco has been installed around the edge so the paving needs to be relaid.

Another letter before action IMO.

Recognise his attempts but give him a deadline to complete. Say 17th Feb.
Detail the works to complete to avoid any doubt.
(good time to slip in the correct way of laying the tiles as well, "lay patio using xx method to a good standard with correct run off angle" that kinda thing.

Benefit of the doubt as I expect the righteous will arrive in droves - but the lad probably has bills to pay/mouths to feed. He may also be hoping to skim a few materials here and there from other jobs to help with the costs. Even if you took him to court, it is highly unlikely he will have the capital ready to go as it is so easy to tie it up into other things.

Give him till Monday, then put the legal pressure on again?

Benefit of the doubt as I expect the righteous will arrive in droves - but the lad probably has bills to pay/mouths to feed. He may also be hoping to skim a few materials here and there from other jobs to help with the costs. Even if you took him to court, it is highly unlikely he will have the capital ready to go as it is so easy to tie it up into other things.

Give him till Monday, then put the legal pressure on again?

Tend to agree - Give him a firm deadline to complete the job in full to your satisfaction, but at the same time politely tell him that should it not be done by your chosen date, you will be left with no option but to seek legal recourse.

I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt, but might be worth a message to say you're not happy about the additional delays and he could work the weekend to make up for lost time (assuming you're okay with that).

If he doesn't turn up next Monday then it's probably time to call it and go the legal route. At least you can argue you've given him ample opportunity to resolve this.

I suspect he knows what they've done won't work. The level of the lawn will be off for a start As it's really not that far from being finished anyway.

Was this just an attempt to try and appease you and stop any further action I wonder.

As noted above a further letter with details and deadline confirming what been done since last and outlining what is still outstanding and the date/time passed since noted the works restarted.

Gives you a reason to photo document all the elements in an official letter also.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Out in the garden I can see a container of this stuff (https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/building-supplies/pva-and-sbr-bonding/503-sbr-bond/#:~:text=SBR Bond is a latex,dampness and continuous water contact.) laying around. That gives me some confidence that he may follow the recommended process.

I can always reference the other contractor and say something like "I want to make sure that the patios are being laid with a slurry mix and SBR primer". The fact the container of SBR is there makes me think I probably don't need to do that.

I'm going to also ask him where the aco was bought from some I can buy some spare grilles and have an attempt at addressing the mess around the soil pipe by cutting it at 45 degree angles. It bugs me every time I look at it.
That sbr is what I used when I did a patio for my sisters boyfriends Dad. I'm not a pro or anything but I made a mix of sbr, cement and water and brushed it on each slab before laying it.

I made a mistake on one part round the greenhouse and I had to take up a cut slab and it took ages as I couldn't pull it off. Had to circular saw round slab and the slab before breaking it off and then breaking up concrete underneath so I didn't distrube surrounding slabs.
They shouldn't be pulling off easy like it seemed in the pics you posted, most the mortar should could up with the slab if laid correctly

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone's saying he's paid too much. £15k is pretty cheap for a job like that (if done right of course). This is 2023 not 2015.

I really feel for you though mate. Had a nightmare myself about a year ago. Things are still in motion so unable to make a post about it yet, but when I do....what a post it will be!

Have to say though, there is some terrible advice in the first few pages. If you ever decided to get the courts/solicitors/police involved, well....good luck is all I'll say! Think someone did actually say it takes years to get things like this sorted (if ever), they are right!

anyway, we had a much smaller job done recently and that was £10k so don't think you got ripped off price wise.
15k for a patio and landscaping sounds a lot to me.
Him not coming back again is starting to look like this going to be painful to sort out.

Back
Top Bottom