Poor landscaping work - garden resembles a swamp

Why not? Most of us will be paying a surface water drainage charge from our water company, which purpose is to cover this?
Its against regulatory practice and where surface water combines with sewage pipework (like most of UK infrastructure) it causes significant capacity issues at wastewater treatment works during high rainfall periods - part of the issue why you see "sewage discharge into bathing waters" type headline in the uk

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud, what was the garden like in heavy rain previously? You mention at the start 6-8 loads of waste taken out to bring it to its current level and you're now much lower on at least 3 sides to neighbouring properties, I'd guess that their gardens are now significantly drier since you've had the work done with your drains having to take not just your surface water but all the raised areas around you, it's great that he's coming back to fix it and like others I doubt 6 days is enough but I think you'll still have some issues in heavy rain.

Its against regulatory practice and where surface water combines with sewage pipework (like most of UK infrastructure) it causes significant capacity issues at wastewater treatment works during high rainfall periods - part of the issue why you see "sewage discharge into bathing waters" type headline in the uk
Agreed. Hence most planning applications involving surface water will insist on SUDS and no increase of flows offsite. If not drained on site, you need an attainuation tank before connecting to the public sewer / existing surface water drainage.

Last edited:
The work started today. They hired a digger but had to abandon that idea as it just sunk in to the mud. This meant all the work had to be done by hand including the channels.

When they were lifting the turf it was just like when they laid it, not a single root had grown plus some of the underside looked mouldy.

I have my doubt if the channels are deep enough for the perforated land drainage pipes plus shingle. The relationship has certainly deteriorated so i'm finding it increasingly difficult communicating with him. There's an element of just having to trust that they do it properly the second time around and I was clear enough when he came over that I want it done properly. I'll try again tomorrow and try to find out more about his plans for the drainage.

3EaN77h.jpg

QOUhyi6.jpg

I used 100mm perforated pipe + a good 300mm+ of gravel on top, with the trenches lined with a membrane, which was then wrapped over the top of the whole lot. Essentially, the pipes and gravel should be fully wrapped in membrane to allow the water in, but keep the soil out - see pics in the second link. Mine was just behind a retaining wall, so probably overkill, but I thought for the extra effort, it was worth it.

If he's planning to just put perforated pipe in the soil mud and then turf over the top, it'll be a waste of time.

Where are the pipes going to be draining to? It's a pointless exercise unless it's going to a soakaway or drain.

Last edited:

I used 100mm perforated pipe + a good 300mm+ of gravel on top, with the trenches lined with a membrane, which was then wrapped over the top of the whole lot. Essentially, the pipes and gravel should be fully wrapped in membrane to allow the water in, but keep the soil out - see pics in the second link. Mine was just behind a retaining wall, so probably overkill, but I thought for the extra effort, it was worth it.

If he's planning to just put perforated pipe in the soil mud and then turf over the top, it'll be a waste of time.

Where are the pipes going to be draining to? It's a pointless exercise unless it's going to a soakaway or drain.
The land drains for the turf will be fed in to the existing aco drain down the side of the house which in turn connects to some kind of drain which the downpipe for the guttering is connected to.

He will then install aco around the rest of the property for the patio. Hope that makes sense!

They would better off leaving that for a few weeks, and returning later on - it's currently a bog with the frost/water etc. Looks like they've just scrapped the shovel along the ground to make some "lines".

Nothing in that preparation looks like it's ready for drains etc

Looking at that, I really would not be comfortable that they are going to complete anything that you're going to be happy with.

It might just look worse because of how wet it is, but them cannot be the channel for drainage.

Just let them crack on and see if it works. If it doesn't, you know your legal pathway. It isn't like he is a fly by night chappy from the sounds of it.

How come its so wet, is everything just slopping so the lowest parts are where the grass meets the patio? though the whole lawn looks a swamp.

Where is next doors downpipe going, can see it behind fence on house, have they got some sort of soak away thats finding its way into your garden.

They would better off leaving that for a few weeks, and returning later on - it's currently a bog with the frost/water etc. Looks like they've just scrapped the shovel along the ground to make some "lines".

Nothing in that preparation looks like it's ready for drains etc
He wanted to wait until the weather improved but I knew he had started another job so wanted him back asap. I suggested he gave me £3k back as a retainer and I’ll sign a contract to say I’ll pay him once it’s resolved (whenever that may be) but he didn’t like that idea :D I felt like my only chance to get him back was to set him the deadline in the letter before action.

I was also tired spending 20 mins moving the water whenever it rained, I’ve spent countless hours doing that in the last month.

I agree it’s an absolute mess though, I just want it all done now.

Depending on when it was built, it may well go into the storm drains already or to an existing soakaway. I'm referring specifically to surface water though, which shouldn't be directed into drains.

I find that interesting, we've got a fairly new build and the downpipe from the gutter goes into an open drain - basically got a grid over it, but it's not enclosed. That's on the edge of the patio, so whilst we don't have an aco drain running the length of the patio, a lot of the water off the patio runs towards this open drain.

How come its so wet, is everything just slopping so the lowest parts are where the grass meets the patio? though the whole lawn looks a swamp.

Where is next doors downpipe going, can see it behind fence on house, have they got some sort of soak away thats finding its way into your garden.
It rained very heavily on Sunday night, I was out there with my giant squeegee at 6.30am on Monday morning and it was the worst it had ever been with the water up to the air brick. Any more rain and it would have flooded in so I had to move it all asap. The only positive was being able to listen to a podcast while I was freezing in the pouring rain :D

There was no way to move any water from the turf so it must just have been sitting there when they rolled the turf back and then everything churned up when they walked on it. They were moving water out with jugs in to buckets fighting a losing battle really.

It rained very heavily on Sunday night, I was out there with my giant squeegee at 6.30am on Monday morning and it was the worst it had ever been with the water up to the air brick. Any more rain and it would have flooded in so I had to move it all asap. The only positive was being able to listen to a podcast while I was freezing in the pouring rain :D

There was no way to move any water from the turf so it must just have been sitting there when they rolled the turf back and then everything churned up when they walked on it. They were moving water out with jugs in to buckets fighting a losing battle really.
Yes looks a nightmare, was looking at your vids in the OP.

I take it wasn't like this before the work

Hooking your garden drainage to a storm water drain is illegal, don't do this. The proper method is a deep soakaway below the layer of clay

My Google fu may be failing me this evening, but the only thing I've come across that's illegal is having rainwater (from roof or patio) draining into a foul water drain / sewer.

In fact even the planning portal suggests if no other drainage options (natural/soakaways etc) exist then patio/driveway water can be connected to a surface water sewer / storm water drain.

Back
Top Bottom